Markesmith

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  404
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

What was the cause of Elizabeth being filled with the spirit? And the whole family?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 8/7/2020 at 8:49 PM, Markesmith said:

What was the cause of Elizabeth being filled with the spirit? And the whole family?

It appears to be the arrival of a pregnant Mary. So this was either a literal filling of the spirit prompted by Mary's arrival or more likely this happened when she became pregnant and Mary's arrival revealed the presence of the Spirit.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/7/2020 at 2:49 PM, Markesmith said:

I would assume your talking about these section of scriptures:

And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, "Blessed [are] you among women, and blessed [is] the fruit of your womb! "But why [is] this [granted] to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? "For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. "Blessed [is] she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord." - Luk 1:41-45 NKJV

She was filled with Holy Spirit and prophesied about Jesus to Mary the mother of Jesus about what he would fulfill as Messiah.  Basically a prophetic confirmation about Jesus and John the Baptist.   

What I find odd is that John was from the tribe of Levi and Jesus was from the Tribe of Judah but yet were cousins.  I guess Mary and Elizabeth were related but fathers were from different tribes, but we know Joseph was not the real father of Jesus, so this seems to make Jesus human bloodline from Mary only.  Was Mary from the tribe of Judah if so how was she related to Elizabeth unless she was also from the tribe of Judah?

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

That’s Curious for sure! 
how is it that Mary the mother of God had a sister named Mary?

does not the Bible day Jesus is the son of Joseph?

Lk 2:48 Jn 1:45

I would say Mary the Mother of God was of the tribe of Judah cos of this verse

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 8/15/2020 at 12:33 PM, Markesmith said:

That’s Curious for sure! 
how is it that Mary the mother of God had a sister named Mary?

does not the Bible day Jesus is the son of Joseph?

Lk 2:48 Jn 1:45

I don't see that Mary, the mother of Jesus had a sister called Mary.  Her sister was Elizabeth, the wife of Zachariah the priest.  The Scripture says elsewhere that John the Baptist, Elizabeth's son was Jesus' cousin.  Someone has their wires crossed somewhere.

On another point, at the wedding in Cana, Mary put herself lower than Jesus so as not to obscure His glory.  She humbled herself when Jesus said to her, "Woman, what I have I to do with you?  My time has not come yet."   He did not refer to her as "mother", and she accepted that Jesus was more important than her, and so she told the servants, "Do what he says", instead of taking charge of the proceedings herself.

When Mary and the brothers of Jesus visited Jesus once during his ministry and someone said, "Your mother and brothers are here", He said, "Who is my mother and brothers?  Those who believe and trust in Me."   In this, Jesus placed his mother Mary in a place lower than ordinary believers in Christ.   Yet there is a church that exalts Mary above everyone and makes her an object of worship.  That is quite missing from the Biblical description of how Jesus treated Mary.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

On 8/14/2020 at 4:57 PM, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Was Mary from the tribe of Judah if so how was she related to Elizabeth unless she was also from the tribe of Judah?

By the time Mary and Elizabeth were on the scene, the ten Tribes of Israel were scattered And Benjamin and Judahg were united in the Kingdom of Judea.  But the Levites remained at the temple.  Elizabeth could have been a cousin twice removed, not having the same grandmother or  or grandfather but related in some other way.  And yet still cousins

As to the OP's question. one cannot prophesy without being filled with the Holy Spirit, and God called on her to prophesy to Mary

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

A supportive woman is a heaven on earth, a non supportive woman can be a huge problem. I believe the mother of John the baptist paved the way for his good behaviour and spirit filled life. Mothers in John the baptist and Jesus time were honored and children submitted to their parents, especially their mothers. As we can see with Jesus at the wedding. Jesus didnt want to perform the miracle of turning water into wine, but listened to His mother. Jesus also went to the temple as a 12 year old and His mother fussed at Him. He obeyed His mother. If John the baptists mother did not have The Holy Spirit it might have caused John the baptist huge problems growing up in his spiritual identity to pave the way for Christ.