Bitterness

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

Since a year I have been in contact with an old man of 80 years old, with a history of esophageal cancer (cured) and now with many physical illnesses.
This man is very unhappy about his life. He finds himself having tried hard to be a decent person. But he has many grudges against "bad people" who seems to get away with things. His wife left him years ago for another man. He stayed taking care of his two daughters, while one of them stopped having contact with him and the younger daughter is his only relative. He had a "bad manager" at work.

Long story short, he is very bitter about his life events. He is not a nasty man to speak to. But he can be nasty if he find you to be a bad person. Luckily I am on his good side, so I can visit him and talk to him once and a while.

He is not doing so good at the moment, he fell at home (living alone) and he is now in a nursing home for recovery.

My question is, without having to bother you with too many details. It seems that many elder people are bittered in life.
How would you share the gospel with such a person?

Actually I have already, but I don't think it is a one time thing with this old man. So for the next time I meet him, I'd like to hear your experiences or advices. Thanks in advance!

P.S. He mentioned many times that he is better off dead.

Edited by Wesley L
p.s.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

10 hours ago, Wesley L said:

My question is, without having to bother you with too many details. It seems that many elder people are bittered in life.

In the same way to share the gospel to anyone.

Get them talking and interject at a suitable point with why do they believe that, about there moral convictions.

To find out what there morality is based on, with older people they may well remember the ten commandments or something similar.

In which case what God expects of all of us can be introduced and the fact that we all fail them, all deserve God's judgement and wrath.

The good news of Jesus can then be introduced.

With people with set habits, set ways of thinking it will take time for the reality of the gospel to sink in.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, Wesley L said:

Actually I have already, but I don't think it is a one time thing with this old man. So for the next time I meet him, I'd like to hear your experiences or advices. Thanks in advance!

Shalom @Wesley L

How did this guy take the gospel when you shared it with him?

You could find a way to share your testimony or the testimony of another.  Find a way to share the story and focus on the bitterness and anger that was in your life before, disproportionately so, even if it wasn't a big problem for you.  Not to the degree that it's obvious but so he can relate with it privately within himself.  Explain how forgiveness changed you.  Lead the story somewhere so it doesn't seem obvious you are preaching to him but rather making another point.  So that you might reach him indirectly.

If you can make him realise that there is another side to life, that there's some rest, healing and peace, he will be more inclined to ask questions.

You could buy him and Bible or an Audio Bible as a gift whilst he is in care or a birthday gift, explaining it's the best gift you have to give him because it changed your life.  I think many people are flattered or endeared by this rather than threatened.  Then he has one to hand to check in quiet contemplative moments.  Just ensure to get large-print and an easy reader like the ESV.  

Also pray, pray, pray.  Pray for the window of opportunity to arise to speak to him about the gospel.  Pray that his ears, eyes and heart might be opened to accept the truth.  Yahweh may grant him and miraculous event or fertile heart for repentance.

He may turn against you one day.  He might class you as a "bad man" one day.  Regardless, take all his abuse and insults (if they come) and respond with love and kindness.  As these will be the times when you faith will speak loudest to him and so it may be something your relationship will need to go through as he starts to subconsciously test your resolve.

I hope something in that helps.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

18 hours ago, Wesley L said:

Since a year I have been in contact with an old man of 80 years old, with a history of esophageal cancer (cured) and now with many physical illnesses.
This man is very unhappy about his life. He finds himself having tried hard to be a decent person. But he has many grudges against "bad people" who seems to get away with things. His wife left him years ago for another man. He stayed taking care of his two daughters, while one of them stopped having contact with him and the younger daughter is his only relative. He had a "bad manager" at work.

Long story short, he is very bitter about his life events. He is not a nasty man to speak to. But he can be nasty if he find you to be a bad person. Luckily I am on his good side, so I can visit him and talk to him once and a while.

He is not doing so good at the moment, he fell at home (living alone) and he is now in a nursing home for recovery.

P.S. He mentioned many times that he is better off dead.

It's the same gospel with kind and bitter people. Would you like eternal life? Are you perfect? Trust Jesus today for salvation and for moral perfection (ability to live in utopia) when He meets you in person.