• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Chicken coop2 said:

And if we want to do some assuming, I would assume that after his healing he became a believer. 

1.) You might be correct that Peter and John did all the believing. But what I'm saying is there is no way to know if the man also believed in the authority of Christ. And we can only assume that he did not.

2.) It should be 100 percent clear based on the 25 different Bible translations I just posted that this healing was done by the faith in the authority of the risen Christ and not by faith Peter and John had in Jesus.

3.) There is no evidence that the man did not believe in the authority of Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.46
  • Days Won:  12

12 hours ago, Peterlag said:
Years ago I had finally come to realize that the Bible meant "the authority of Jesus Christ" every time we read "in the name of Jesus Christ." I wanted to look at how other translations list Act 3:16 and so since I have it here is why I'm sharing...

New International Version
By faith in the name (authority) of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name (authority) and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.

New Living Translation
Through faith in the name (authority) of Jesus, this man was healed—and you know how crippled he was before. Faith in Jesus’ name (authority) has healed him before your very eyes.

English Standard Version
And his name (authority) —by faith in his name (authority) —has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all.

Berean Study Bible
By faith in the name (authority) of Jesus, this man whom you see and know has been made strong. It is Jesus’ name (authority) and the faith that comes through Him that has given him this complete healing in your presence.

Berean Literal Bible
And on the faith in His name, (authority) this man whom you see and know, His name (authority) has strengthened; and the faith which is through Him has given to him this complete soundness before all of you.

New American Standard Bible
And on the basis of faith in His name, (authority) it is the name (authority) of Jesus which has strengthened this man whom you see and know; and the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect health in the presence of you all.

New King James Version
And His name, (authority) through faith in His name, (authority) has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

King James Bible
And his name (authority) through faith in his name (authority) hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

Christian Standard Bible
By faith in his name, (authority) his name (authority) has made this man strong, whom you see and know. So the faith that comes through Jesus has given him this perfect health in front of all of you.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
By faith in His name, (authority) His name (authority) has made this man strong, whom you see and know. So the faith that comes through Him has given him this perfect health in front of all of you.

International Standard Version
It is his name— (authority) that is, by faith in his name— (authority) that has healed this man whom you see and know. Yes, the faith that comes through Jesus has given him this perfect health in the presence of all of you.

NET Bible
And on the basis of faith in Jesus' name, (authority) his very name (authority) has made this man--whom you see and know--strong. The faith that is through Jesus has given him this complete health in the presence of you all.

New Heart English Bible
By faith in his name, (authority) his name (authority) has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which is through him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

A Faithful Version
And through faith in His name, (authority) this man whom you see and know was made strong in His name; (authority) and the faith that is through Him gave this complete soundness to him in the presence of you all.

New American Standard 1977
And on the basis of faith in His name, (authority) it is the name (authority) of Jesus which has strengthened this man whom you see and know; and the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect health in the presence of you all.

King James 2000 Bible
And his name (authority) through faith in his name (authority) has made this man strong, whom you see and know: yea, the faith which is by him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

American King James Version
And his name (authority) through faith in his name (authority) has made this man strong, whom you see and know: yes, the faith which is by him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

American Standard Version
And by faith in his name (authority) hath his name (authority) made this man strong, whom ye behold and know: yea, the faith which is through him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And in the faith of his name, (authority) this man, whom you have seen and known, hath his name (authority) strengthened; and the faith which is by him, hath given this perfect soundness in the sight of you all.

Darby Bible Translation
And, by faith in his name, (authority) his name (authority) has made this [man] strong whom ye behold and know; and the faith which is by him has given him this complete soundness in the presence of you all.

English Revised Version
And by faith in his name (authority) hath his name (authority) made this man strong, whom ye behold and know: yea, the faith which is through him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

Webster's Bible Translation 
And his name, (authority) through faith in his name, (authority) hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yes, the faith which is by him, hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

Weymouth New Testament
It is His name-- (authority) faith in that name (authority) being the condition--which has strengthened this man whom you behold and know; and the faith which He has given has made this man sound and strong again, as you can all see.

World English Bible
By faith in his name, (authority) his name (authority) has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which is through him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

Young's Literal Translation
and on the faith of his name, (authority) this one whom ye see and have known, his name (authority) made strong, even the faith that is through him did give to him this perfect soundness before you all.

Actually "in his name" means "in his character and authority", not merely "in his authority".  I have posted this meaning already, in several of my posts.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.38
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I have always found it helpful to think of 'nature' when considering His Name. The nature is in the name.

In prayer and in battle...we share His Nature and thus His Authority, when we are acting in His Nature and according to His Will in any particular circumstance.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.38

11 hours ago, Peterlag said:

A man’s name meant more than just a label of identification in the days when Jesus Christ walked the earth. The man’s name carried the characteristics that the name implied, such as authority, character, rank and power—everything the name covers as expressing his attributes. A man’s name not only revealed his character or authority on whose behalf one would act, but it also was the identity of how one was known, expressing the essential nature of its bearer, the personality and expression of the man’s innermost being. To be called by the name of a person would denote the standing in a peculiar relation to him, or being his property. To speak or act in a person’s name would be to act by his authority, and thereby to represent or participate in his revealed nature.

Names in the Bible were considered to identify and describe the very being and function of their bearers because a man’s name represented him wholly. A person could exercise influence over a man by using his name because one would need to conform to his essential nature as expressed in his name. The Old Testament prophets spoke in the name of the Lord with all His authority and power. Jesus claimed to have come in his Father’s name, meaning as the Father’s representative. We have only one life to live and give our utmost for His Highest. Do we dare to live in the powerful and victorious name of our living Lord and savior Jesus Christ, calling upon his name to invoke him on the basis of his revealed nature and character?

So Much Truth Here, Amen. Without Him We can do nothing (John 15:5) 

What we are seeing here opposing this truth is simply humanism, faith misplaced in human achievement and strength. The contrast can be stated as follows: "I Will, I Will, I will...." (Isa. 14:12-14) vs "Christ Is all in all" (Eph.  1:23)

But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me. (John 15:21)

14 hours ago, David1701 said:

Actually "in his name" means "in his character and authority", not merely "in his authority".  I have posted this meaning already, in several of my posts.

I have posted it as well right on page 51.

Edited by Peterlag

14 hours ago, Alive said:

I have always found it helpful to think of 'nature' when considering His Name. The nature is in the name.

In prayer and in battle...we share His Nature and thus His Authority, when we are acting in His Nature and according to His Will in any particular circumstance.

I have posted that as well on page 51.

14 hours ago, dhchristian said:

So Much Truth Here, Amen. Without Him We can do nothing (John 15:5) 

What we are seeing here opposing this truth is simply humanism, faith misplaced in human achievement and strength. The contrast can be stated as follows: "I Will, I Will, I will...." (Isa. 14:12-14) vs "Christ Is all in all" (Eph.  1:23)

But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me. (John 15:21)

Thank you so much for sharing. I try to put Christ in front of people and they often put themselves in front of people. Example is I teach "the faith of Jesus Christ" and others teach "their faith in Jesus Christ."

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,972
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, Peterlag said:

Thank you so much for sharing. I try to put Christ in front of people and they often put themselves in front of people. Example is I teach "the faith of Jesus Christ" and others teach "their faith in Jesus Christ."

9 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.

3 And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.

4 And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart.

5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.

6 And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing every where.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:02 AM, Chicken coop2 said:

@Peterlag

Through faith in his name - By means of faith in him; that is, by the faith which Peter and John had in Jesus. It does not refer to any faith that the man had himself, for there is no evidence that he believed in him.

Yes, exactly.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Peterlag said:

I have posted it as well right on page 51.

Yes, long after I'd posted it.  You also omitted the "in the character" part, which is very important.