IGNORED

isn't it bad that I miss out on reading and meditating over Matthew, Mark, Luke and/or John and/or Epistles and/or any of the other more well known parts of the bible during my daily devotions?

bartmac123

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  452
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

I've been a Pentecostal/Charismatic Christian for around 10 years now, and I grew up Catholic/Orthodox Christian.  Therefore, I do have basic understanding of well-known parts of the Bible. 

Also, a few years ago, I read through the entire bible from beginning to end.  However, when I completed reading the bible a few years ago, it was sort of like speed reading.  I'd be reading so quickly through Leviticus, Numbers, Psalms, etc., withOut really putting any time and effort into understanding the content. 

Now, I'm reading the bible from beginning to end again.  However, this time I'm reading it quite slowly, and then meditating on what I read.  Furthermore, all the aforementioned reading is part of my daily personal devotions.

My concern is that as I spend a lot of time on Leviticus, Numbers, etc., in my daily devotions then am I missing out by Not spending daily time reading Matthew, Mark, Luke and/or John and/or Epistles and/or any of the other more well known parts of the bible?

To elaborate, if I spend my morning daily devotion time(which is usually around 20 minutes to 1 hour on weekdays, and maybe 3 to 5 hours on weekends) reading over Solomon's Temple's dimension and architecture design described in 1 Kings 6 and 2 Chronicles 3-4 then isn't it bad that I miss out on reading and meditating over Matthew, Mark, Luke and/or John and/or Epistles and/or any of the other more well known parts of the bible during my daily devotions?

Furthermore, if anyone knows about any intelligent, practical bible reading plans, tactics strategies, techniques then could you please describe and expound upon said topics?

****Update: (Interesting Side info) 1 Corinthians 10:1-13 are bible verses within the New Testament (NT) that emphasizes the importance of reading, reflecting and meditating upon Old Testament (OT) scripture.  Here is an key excerpts from 1 Corinthians 10:1-13

(1 Corinthians 10:1-13 Key Excerpts ) "For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers.......6 Now these things happened as examples for us,........11 Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. "

*******************************************************************************************************************************

Blessings to All in Jesus Christ & Thank you in Advance.

Edited by bartmac123
New Testament (NT) emphasizes importance of Old Testament (OT)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

May I suggest that you follow the read through the bible in a year plan,by reading two old testament, one Psalm and one new testament chapters a day.

Questions to ask are what did this mean to the Jews, how did they apply it, how did early Christians understand it and how do we today understand it? Is there any difference?

Can you see Jesus or the promise of Jesus in what you are reading?

Try recording what you read.

What struck you in that passage and why?

What did you pray about.

So long as you pray about what you are reading you will find that God will speak to you in the O T.

Remember when the disciples talked and argued that Jesus was the Messiah they did it from only the old testament, so look for him in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1

Hello bartmac.

There are lots of approaches to reading Scripture. What works for me is majoring on the NT where I find all essential Christian definitions and the "teachings of Christ" in the letters and Gospels. I use the NT as a lens for the OT. The OT is important of course. At its core the Old Testament testifies to the pre-eminence of Christ (Luke 24:27; John 5:39; Acts 13:27). A very effective way to absord Scripture is by listening to it. I can do this while doing other things. 

These aren't systematic methods, so it's maybe not useful to you. But I'd think that listening to the OT might be a really helpful way to familiarise yourself with the text while majoring on the NT. I'm sure others here will have specific plans. Hope you find something useful.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, bartmac123 said:

I've been a Pentecostal/Charismatic Christian for around 10 years now, and I grew up Catholic/Orthodox Christian.  Therefore, I do have basic understanding of well-known parts of the Bible. 

Also, a few years ago, I read through the entire bible from beginning to end.  However, when I completed reading the bible a few years ago, it was sort of like speed reading.  I'd be reading so quickly through Leviticus, Numbers, Psalms, etc., withOut really putting any time and effort into understanding the content. 

Now, I'm reading the bible from beginning to end again.  However, this time I'm reading it quite slowly, and then meditating on what I read.  Furthermore, all the aforementioned reading is part of my daily personal devotions.

My concern is that as I spend a lot of time on Leviticus, Numbers, etc., in my daily devotions then am I missing out by Not spending daily time reading Matthew, Mark, Luke and/or John and/or Epistles and/or any of the other more well known parts of the bible?

To elaborate, if I spend my morning daily devotion time(which is usually around 20 minutes to 1 hour on weekdays, and maybe 3 to 5 hours on weekends) reading over Solomon's Temple's dimension and architecture design described in 1 Kings 6 and 2 Chronicles 3-4 then isn't it bad that I miss out on reading and meditating over Matthew, Mark, Luke and/or John and/or Epistles and/or any of the other more well known parts of the bible during my daily devotions?

Furthermore, if anyone knows about any intelligent, practical bible reading plans, tactics strategies, techniques then could you please describe and expound upon said topics?

Blessings to All in Jesus Christ & Thank you in Advance.

2 Cor 3:6 .....for the letters kill but the Spirit gives life.

The kingdom of God is not found in religious buildings or letters repetition but in the hearts that forgive n share happiness.

The good Samaritan hv compassion n helped people because he has the kingdom of God, but the priests n the Levits were only parroting verses in synagogues.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Knowing and understanding the OT opens up the NT.  I used to read mostly the NT, and many years ago I got into reading through the OT in depth. Now, there are so much in the NT that becomes so much clearer. 

You have a lifetime to study the scriptures. It cannot all be consumed at once. It is all God breathed and is all good for understanding. Focus on the OT and sprinkle in some NT during this time. There are lots of ways to learn scripture and depending on your age, you have another 10-60 years to do so.  

You’ll get there, good stuff. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

On a practical note: There are reading plans that combine both OT and NT. I would try one of those and see if that helps you regarding initially spending all your time in OT scriptures.

Hope this helps . . . Ray . .