IGNORED

Why are some drawn to fiction stories and others repelled by them?

GandalfTheWise

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

If fiction is "unwise" because it doesn't directly correlate to faith, then let's hope you don't play chess, checkers, board games, go to zoos, or enjoy anything at all that isn't directly connected to glorifying God...... gosh, that would be a miserable life.

What I do understand is a caution not to let such things rule over our lives and become idols. Anything can. And enjoying things vs letting them become an idol can sometimes be a thin line. I know I've been guilty of it more than once in my life.

Edited by furrychristian
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

15 hours ago, furrychristian said:

If fiction is "unwise" because it doesn't directly correlate to faith, then let's hope you don't play chess, checkers, board games, go to zoos, or enjoy anything at all that isn't directly connected to glorifying God...... gosh, that would be a miserable life.

What I do understand is a caution not to let such things rule over our lives and become idols. Anything can. And enjoying things vs letting them become an idol can sometimes be a thin line. I know I've been guilty of it more than once in my life.

Good point and well stated.   I often drop into time-wasters such as Sudoku and other puzzles when I'm not doing well emotionally or spiritually.  At times in my life, foreign language learning has become such a thing for me.  Could be a lot worse things to spend time on, but doesn't change that at times over indulgence in positive things can be a symptom of a problem.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.51
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Despite the fall, there is much beauty in this earthly realm..also mankind produces wonderful and beautiful and admirable things...in spite of corruption.

To me, this is 'an' evidence of his Love for us all.

In this earth, its helpful to understand 'good and beauty' withing the construct of a fallen realm, not being the same thing as 'good and beauty' Godward.

Good is within this understanding--relative.

Alive is ducking behind the sofa.

:-)

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.53
  • Days Won:  12

15 hours ago, furrychristian said:

I have not read all of the posts, but I don't recall anyone saying that fiction is unwise, per se.  I also don't recall anyone saying that fiction does not correlate to faith (it might, or might not, depending upon what is in it).

Why should playing chess, draughts (checkers), board games in general, going to zoos, etc., not be directly connected to glorifying God?  It depends upon whether you are doing those things in God's will, being led by the Lord, or just selfishly doing your own thing.

That's true; but it masks the most important question, which is: what is a genuine Christian's life all about?  It is about pleasing the Lord and doing his will.  None of us does this perfectly, but it is what we should be seeking to do, from the heart.

So much of this discussion seems to be revolving around what WE like, or not, what WE are allowed to do, or not.  There does not appear to be much desire to please God in what we read/watch/do, etc..  If there is, it is certainly not coming out in much of what is being posted. 

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

10 minutes ago, Alive said:

Despite the fall, there is much beauty in this earthly realm..also mankind produces wonderful and beautiful and admirable things...in spite of corruption.

To me, this is 'an' evidence of his Love for us all.

In this earth, its helpful to understand 'good and beauty' withing the construct of a fallen realm, not being the same thing as 'good and beauty' Godward.

Good is within this understanding--relative.

Alive is ducking behind the sofa.

:-)

There's a huge difference between seeing the world and individuals as completely evil versus being a corrupted and damaged version of something beautiful that God created...and which can only be restored by God.

One can put one's focus on the damaged portions of things or the vestiges of the original creation which reflect God's handiwork. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.53
  • Days Won:  12

1 minute ago, GandalfTheWise said:

There's a huge difference between seeing the world and individuals as completely evil versus being a corrupted and damaged version of something beautiful that God created...and which can only be restored by God.

These are not mutually exclusive.

One can put one's focus on the damaged portions of things or the vestiges of the original creation which reflect God's handiwork.

Or, one can attempt to get a balanced view, taking both into account.

I very much believe the Lord loves for us to enjoy His Creation.

As in my signature--I see Him there. I study it to find Him there.

For lack of a better way to phrase this--it enlarges my appreciation of and for my God and Savior and imagination plays a part.

Alive ducks again.

;-)

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  24,768
  • Content Per Day:  5.77
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

I'm going to go a step further.

I am an artist. I have been actively practicing art for the past 2 or 3 years. Now, art has something in common with works of fiction. Most really good art comes from imagination, especially in the style I use. I do use some models, but I rarely paint things as they are. I paint what I see I am also very fond of abstract art and I tend to dislike super realism because to me it lacks imagination. It leave one no room to ponder and to search for the messages hidden behind a paining. In university I learned that "a text" is not just writing. All art communicates something. And I think the more imaginatively it is done, the deeper the message becomes. Even if it something quite simple. And this message can be either good or bad, but we can always learn something from it.

(As and aside, there was a lady called Sister Wendy Beckett (she was a catholic nun, but the important point here is, she knew her art). She used to explain art in ways that really made one think of the work in a whole new light. And she covered a wide variety :))

When God designed the world. He created things out of nothing and He did it by speaking words. Then He made us in his image. I think that within us, something of that creative drive has been deposited (I could be wrong). Everyone is creative. Each person has some thing they can bring that only they can do. And I think being able to imagine things forms part of this. Now our imagination and creativity, being fallen in  nature and being ourselves created, can obviously never match up to what God can do. But I think it is no accident that we have always developed new ways of doing things and why we keep wanting to design things, write things and perform things. Why we (or many of us) always look for new adventures. Although, like Starise, pointed out, the imagination to write a story and the imagination to design a piece of furniture is different, I would suggest that the very fact that we can sit here talking to each other on machines using the internet is because of the  imagination that God has given us. Early man would have only barely imagined what we can do today. But it would never have been that way if early man didn't imagine anything. 

I must add that there is the need to give glory to God for all the wonderful inventions and creative designs we have been given. He gets the credit, because He gave us the ability and the means. Please don't think I am exalting man. I am merely saying saying that God has allowed us to play a part in this.

Now to all this there is obviously a downside, because we can use this imagination for evil and we regularly do. So nearly every development in technology we have made has also come at a cost (including environmental issues). Yet I don't think that means we should stop using our imagination or that all such advancement is bad. It simply means that, as is true for every part of ourselves, it has to be renewed. And we should also not seek the new for its own sake. Everything should ultimately glorify God. But I don't think this is excluded from writing fiction or any similar activity. 

A few extra notes that is on my mind

As much as I believe that technological advancement is mostly good, I must add that I think that it has sometimes taken away from human creativity and ironically now leaves very little for the imagination. I am very retro. I was watching a movie about movies today. And I was struck by how much I missed movie theatres the way they used to be. I remember the first time I ever went to a movie. We went to see Snow White. And the theatre was very grand and it wasn't something you just did. It was a formal occasion like going to the opera or a play. It felt so special. It filled me with a  lot of joy at a time when I needed it. I think I was overawed because I was a child , but nevertheless, I am sad that film has become so empty. Cheap and expensive at the same time. And I long to have something of the old, classical art works to remain standing against the tide of modernization.

Just one more note:

There is room for play. Because play stimulates imagination and improves problem solving ability. There is room for hobbies and activities that we call "fun" as long as this does not lead to sin. Because fun opens many doors. People who are willing to do something because they like doing it are more productive. And so there is no reason that I can see why one can't glorify God and enjoy some form of amusement or interest  at the same time. I do it all the time. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

Henry--I think you might enjoy reading 'The Holiness of God' by RC Sproule.

• Thanks 1