IGNORED

Why are some drawn to fiction stories and others repelled by them?

GandalfTheWise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,127
  • Content Per Day:  9.65
  • Days Won:  149

I have watched many of RC Sproul's sermons. Didn't really know where he stood when I started. This is a thread on fiction right? Maybe some think much of what he believed was fiction.:D

He started his own ministry which still goes today. Sproul Jr. got into trouble and was caught. The formal line was he quit. You don't usually quit a nice 6 figure job when there's nowhere else to go...but I digress. 

RC Sproul was a gifted theologian and teacher but I probably don't agree with all of his conclusions.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Why are some drawn to fiction stories and others repelled by them?

I didn't know anybody who is repelled by fiction stories. They make us to dream with a better world.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/10/2020 at 9:48 AM, GandalfTheWise said:

This question arose in my mind in another thread.   Why is it that some people like fiction stories, (be it books, comics, graphic novels, video-game story lines, oral story-telling, TV shows, movies, or whatever media)?  Why do some people not care about them or to actively dislike them?   I'm not talking about preferring particular genres, but rather liking, not caring, or actively disliking fiction stories in general.  I'm not talking about what details cause someone to dislike particular stories (such as profanity, graphic descriptions, non-Christian world view, etc.).  But, what is it about fictional stories that they even exist and that some people like them?

I didn't phrase it in a personal way in the title, but what I am curious about is why different people here are drawn to consume fiction while others have no interest and others might be actively repelled by fiction.   What is it that drives your feelings toward fiction stories?   I'm hoping this thread can be one of constructive reflection where we can learn from each other and maybe explore a topic that doesn't get talked about very much.

I no longer like fictional stories, especially science fiction. The further away I've gotten from them, it seems every work of fiction has some hidden agenda or out right lie centered as its topic. Whether it be about family situations or so-called "super heroes".

The Bible has them all beat. Whether it be adventure about a young man who brought a rock to a sword fight with a giant and WON! Or a real talking mule! And of course we have Yeshua, The most powerful "super hero" ever.

13 hours ago, Starise said:

I have watched many of RC Sproul's sermons. Didn't really know where he stood when I started. This is a thread on fiction right? Maybe some think much of what he believed was fiction.:D

He started his own ministry which still goes today. Sproul Jr. got into trouble and was caught. The formal line was he quit. You don't usually quit a nice 6 figure job when there's nowhere else to go...but I digress. 

RC Sproul was a gifted theologian and teacher but I probably don't agree with all of his conclusions.

Maybe I side-tracked this thread accidentally because I read more non-fiction than fiction.  When I read fiction, it's probably SF or Mystery.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Personally i enjoy fiction because its an escape from reality...i enjoy books where good prevails in the end. Im currently reading LOTRs Return of the King to my kids...were all enjoying it immensely.

On 12/10/2020 at 7:46 PM, Josheb said:

You mean like guys killing giants, single warriors killing hundreds in a single battle, talking with spirits or animals, being eaten alive by giant fish, having an enemy unwittingly build his own gallows, anticipating ancient prophesies, fighting demons, walking through fire or on water and defeating death? ;)

I hope you are not implying these things did not happen.

4 hours ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Personally i enjoy fiction because its an escape from reality...i enjoy books where good prevails in the end. Im currently reading LOTRs Return of the King to my kids...were all enjoying it immensely.

Oh, Brother... My heart sank when you posted this. I have read a few of your posts and you have given people some pretty wise advice. The LOTR story is full of demonic doctrine such as wizards, magic spells, words, potions, incantations, rope magic, rings, amulets, and so on. It is all witchcraft as forbidden in Deuteronomy 18:9-14.

This entire story is one of complete Syncretization, defined as: (to reconcile different beliefs, as in philosophy or religion ... to combine differing beliefs". {The Tormont Webster's Illustrated Encyclopedic Dictionary). The Bible absolutely forbids "reconciling" Godly beliefs, methods, and doctrines with that of Satan [2 Cor 7:14-17] and yet that is exactly what some Christian "leaders" are attempting to do when they insist that God and Jesus Christ can be found in this most Satanic of story lines.

Please pray about this...

2 hours ago, Josheb said:

@Bawb

The first day we traded posts I was assigned derisive labels regarding my motives and content. Since then many of my posts have been commended in one way or another and I have yet to read a single point of disagreement between us. Care to comment or clarify? 

Sometimes we can mis-judge people? Sorry

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,270
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Same here. Unless I missed one, I have all of the Louis L'Amour western pocket books. Good guy versus bad guy. Good guy wins. But it's more than that, it shows the struggles the challenges the endurance the Pioneers went through opening up the West. I also enjoy nonfiction, about our founding fathers, Statesman, and those who brought our country to be what it is. And I got plenty of whodunits also...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

5 hours ago, Bawb said:

Oh, Brother... My heart sank when you posted this. I have read a few of your posts and you have given people some pretty wise advice. The LOTR story is full of demonic doctrine such as wizards, magic spells, words, potions, incantations, rope magic, rings, amulets, and so on. It is all witchcraft as forbidden in Deuteronomy 18:9-14.

This entire story is one of complete Syncretization, defined as: (to reconcile different beliefs, as in philosophy or religion ... to combine differing beliefs". {The Tormont Webster's Illustrated Encyclopedic Dictionary). The Bible absolutely forbids "reconciling" Godly beliefs, methods, and doctrines with that of Satan [2 Cor 7:14-17] and yet that is exactly what some Christian "leaders" are attempting to do when they insist that God and Jesus Christ can be found in this most Satanic of story lines.

Please pray about this...

Have you read them yourself, or does your opinion come purely from the fact they contain magic?

Now, i get it some people believe you need to avoid magic altogether and from that standpoint it would make sense to avoid anything magic altogether, and theres no denying LOTRs contains magic. Im not denying that. 

Though i do find it ironic many people who bash on Tolkiens work enjoy the Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewises failed attempt at a christian allegory, failing to notice that not only does it contain magic, but would not exist had Tolkien, a committed Christian, led Lewis, a lifelong atheist, to Christ.

But that is off topic. I despise books like harry potter, which also contain magic. Theres a reason though, and that is clearly intent. Potter, is all about the glorification of magic.

The LOTRs is not, and it becomes apparent if you read all the books. Its even evident in the movies. Yes, magic is there, but it is used to move the plot forward, first and foremost, and in the end, all magic is destroyed. The series is written more as a historical account of how magic was destroyed. This is why i asked if you had read them, because if you have then it becomes obvious what the intent of the books are.

And finally...it is fiction. Which means make believe. Which gets me away from the real world. LOTRs does that, and while there are some real life lessons that can be learned from it, both me and my children understand the difference between "make believe" and truth, and that magic is evil.

This understanding allows us to enjoy such classics as the Lord of the Rings. You may not, but that is ok. 

• Thumbs Up 1