Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

Here's a link to a book containing the extra book in the Ethiopian Bible.

I don't claim to know anything about it. I might buy it out of curiosity. Looks like a few of the same books in the Catholic Bible which I know to be suspect, so I would approach this with apprehension and maybe a little skepticism personally. Neither would I immediately throw it all out because it isn't in our canon.

https://www.amazon.com/Books-Ethiopian-Bible-Missing-Protestant/dp/1695857968

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

16 hours ago, Josheb said:

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song. In the Jewish structure these were categorized as the "art" or "literature" section of Tanakh. They are not strictly speaking history or prophesy, etc. They stand together as a separate section and exegetically they carry something of their own dynamics. 

Ah, I see.  I know those books as "wisdom literature".  I hadn't heard them called "art" before.

9 hours ago, Starise said:

When it comes to scripture study, we need to define "all". All of what? Who defines what all is? We can see different scholars see "all" in different ways as concerning the canon and particular scripture differently. I have not looked into this but I have heard the Ethiopian Bible has a few more books in it. This would not surprise me if true.

The Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox denominations have some VERY dubious books in their Bibles, even more so than the Eastern Orthodox, who have more than the Roman Catholics.

All of those organisations persecute genuine believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Some of these extra books contain outright false teachings, which contradict the real canon of Scripture (e.g. 2 Maccabees).  Some of them are like poor quality copies of real books (e.g. Ecclesiasticus is like a downgraded version of Proverbs).

The believing Church (i.e. not Roman Catholicism, nor so-called Orthodox denominations, nor Liberals), which believes the true gospel (salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone) has, for many centuries, accepted the 66 books that we call canon, and rejected the others.

Edited by David1701
typo
  • Thumbs Up 2

53 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Yes, of course. The salient point is that we don't exegete those books in exactly the same manner we do other types of scripture. Each "type" carries with it a requirement to entreat it on its own grounds. The greater challenge is when genres overlap, such as a section of "wisdom literature" occurring in a book of history, or prophesy occurring in an epistle. So a good grounding in the precepts of sound exegesis is incumbent upon us with knowledge of how these precepts are applied to the various forms of scripture. 

Agreed.

Oh, and, you might want to change "entreat" to "treat".

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

UNEQUALLY  YOKED  TOGETHER  WITH  UNBELIEVERS 

LUKE 1:3  IT  SEEMED  GOOD TO  ME  ALSO  ---HAVING  HAD  PERFECT  UNDERSTANDING OF  ALL  THINGS  FROM  THE  VERY  FIRST  TO  WRITE  UNTO  THEE  IN  ORDER  MOST  EXCELLENT  THEOPHILUS 

ACTS 1:1  THE  FORMER  TREATISE  HAVE  I  MADE  O THEOPHILUS  OF  ALL  THAT  JESUS  BEGAN  BOTH  TO  DO  AND  TEACH 

ACTS  22:7  and I fell unto the ground and heard a voice saying unto me  ---SAUL  SAUL  WHY  PERSECUTEST  THOU  ME---

--22:8-- and I answered who art thou  LORD  and   HE  said unto me ---I  AM  JESUS  OF  NAZARETH  WHOM  THOU  PERSECUTEST 

--22:9-- and they that were with me saw indeed the light and were afraid but they heard not the voice  HIM  that spake to me 

--22:10-- and I said what shall I do  LORD   and   THE  LORD   said unto me --- ARISE  AND  GO  INTO  DAMASCUS  AND  THERE  IT  SHALL  BE  TOLD  THEE  OF --- ALL  THINGS  WHICH  ARE  APPOINTED  FOR  THEE  TO  DO 

ACTS 22:17  AND  IT  CAME  TO  PASS  THAT  WHEN  I  WAS  COME  AGAIN  TO  JERUSALEM  EVEN  WHILE  I  PRAYED  IN  THE  TEMPLE  I  WAS  IN  A  TRANCE

--22:18-- AND  SAW  HIM  SAYING  UNTO  ME  --- MAKE  HAST  AND  GET  THEE  QUICKLY  OUT  OF  JERUSALEM  FOR  THEY  WILL  NOT  RECEIVE  THY  TESTIMONY  CONCERNING  ME 

*******1 TIMOTHY 1:11 ACCORDING  TO  THE  GLORIOUS 

GOSPEL  OF  THE  BLESSED  GOD  WHICH  WAS 

COMMITTED  TO  MY  TRUST*******

1 CORINTHIANS 15:7  AFTER  THAT  HE  WAS  SEEN  OF  JAMES  THEN  OF  ALL  THE  APOSTLES  

--15:8--AND  LAST  OF  ALL  HE  WAS  SEEN  OF  ME  ALSO  AS  ONE  BORN  OUT  OF  DUE  TIME  

--15:9-- FOR  I  AM  THE  LEAST  OF  THE  APOSTLES  THAT  AM  NOT  MEET  TO  BE  CALLED  AN  APOSTLE  BECAUSE  I  PERSECUTED  THE  CHURCH  OF  GOD 

--15:10-- BUT  BY  THE  GRACE  OF  GOD  I  AM  WHAT  I  AM  AND  HIS  GRACE  WHICH  WAS  BESTOWED  UPON  ME  WAS  NOT  IN  VAIN  BUT  I  LABOURED  MORE  ABUNTANTLY  THAN  THEY  ALL  YET  NOT  I  BUT  THE  GRACE  OF  GOD  WHICH  WAS  WITH  ME

****************************************************                2 CORINTHIANS 6:14  BE  YOU  NOT  UNEQUALLY  YOKED  TOGETHER  WITH  UNBELIEVERS FOR  WHAT  FELLOWSHIP  HATH  RIGHTEOUSNESS  WITH  UNRIGHTEOUSNESS  AND  WHAT  COMMUNION  HATH  LIGHT  WITH  DARKNESS 

ROMANS 14:1  HIM  THAT  IS  WEAK  IN  THE  FAITH  RECEIVE  YOU  BUT  ---NOT  TO  DOUBTFUL  DISPUTATIONS--- 

MATTHEW 14:31  AND  IMMEDIATELY  JESUS  STRETCHED  FORTH  HIS  HAND  AND  CAUGHT  HIM  AND  SAID  UNTO  HIM  --- O  THEE  OF  LITTLE  FAITH  WHEREFORE  DIDST  THOU  DOUBT 

JOHN 8:45  AND  BECAUSE  --I-- TELL  YOU  THE  TRUTH  YOU  BELIEVE  ME  NOT

JOHN 8:47  HE  THAT  IS  OF  GOD  HEARETH  GODS  WORDS  YOU  THEREFORE  HEAR  THEM  NOT  --- BECAUSE  YOU  ARE  NOT  OF  GOD ---

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  910
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

15 minutes ago, steve morrow said:

UNEQUALLY  YOKED  TOGETHER  WITH  UNBELIEVERS 

LUKE 1:3  IT  SEEMED  GOOD TO  ME  ALSO  ---HAVING  HAD  PERFECT  UNDERSTANDING OF  ALL  THINGS  FROM  THE  VERY  FIRST  TO  WRITE  UNTO  THEE  IN  ORDER  MOST  EXCELLENT  THEOPHILUS 

ACTS 1:1  THE  FORMER  TREATISE  HAVE  I  MADE  O THEOPHILUS  OF  ALL  THAT  JESUS  BEGAN  BOTH  TO  DO  AND  TEACH 

ACTS  22:7  and I fell unto the ground and heard a voice saying unto me  ---SAUL  SAUL  WHY  PERSECUTEST  THOU  ME---

--22:8-- and I answered who art thou  LORD  and   HE  said unto me ---I  AM  JESUS  OF  NAZARETH  WHOM  THOU  PERSECUTEST 

--22:9-- and they that were with me saw indeed the light and were afraid but they heard not the voice  HIM  that spake to me 

--22:10-- and I said what shall I do  LORD   and   THE  LORD   said unto me --- ARISE  AND  GO  INTO  DAMASCUS  AND  THERE  IT  SHALL  BE  TOLD  THEE  OF --- ALL  THINGS  WHICH  ARE  APPOINTED  FOR  THEE  TO  DO 

ACTS 22:17  AND  IT  CAME  TO  PASS  THAT  WHEN  I  WAS  COME  AGAIN  TO  JERUSALEM  EVEN  WHILE  I  PRAYED  IN  THE  TEMPLE  I  WAS  IN  A  TRANCE

--22:18-- AND  SAW  HIM  SAYING  UNTO  ME  --- MAKE  HAST  AND  GET  THEE  QUICKLY  OUT  OF  JERUSALEM  FOR  THEY  WILL  NOT  RECEIVE  THY  TESTIMONY  CONCERNING  ME 

*******1 TIMOTHY 1:11 ACCORDING  TO  THE  GLORIOUS 

GOSPEL  OF  THE  BLESSED  GOD  WHICH  WAS 

COMMITTED  TO  MY  TRUST*******

1 CORINTHIANS 15:7  AFTER  THAT  HE  WAS  SEEN  OF  JAMES  THEN  OF  ALL  THE  APOSTLES  

--15:8--AND  LAST  OF  ALL  HE  WAS  SEEN  OF  ME  ALSO  AS  ONE  BORN  OUT  OF  DUE  TIME  

--15:9-- FOR  I  AM  THE  LEAST  OF  THE  APOSTLES  THAT  AM  NOT  MEET  TO  BE  CALLED  AN  APOSTLE  BECAUSE  I  PERSECUTED  THE  CHURCH  OF  GOD 

--15:10-- BUT  BY  THE  GRACE  OF  GOD  I  AM  WHAT  I  AM  AND  HIS  GRACE  WHICH  WAS  BESTOWED  UPON  ME  WAS  NOT  IN  VAIN  BUT  I  LABOURED  MORE  ABUNTANTLY  THAN  THEY  ALL  YET  NOT  I  BUT  THE  GRACE  OF  GOD  WHICH  WAS  WITH  ME

****************************************************                2 CORINTHIANS 6:14  BE  YOU  NOT  UNEQUALLY  YOKED  TOGETHER  WITH  UNBELIEVERS FOR  WHAT  FELLOWSHIP  HATH  RIGHTEOUSNESS  WITH  UNRIGHTEOUSNESS  AND  WHAT  COMMUNION  HATH  LIGHT  WITH  DARKNESS 

ROMANS 14:1  HIM  THAT  IS  WEAK  IN  THE  FAITH  RECEIVE  YOU  BUT  ---NOT  TO  DOUBTFUL  DISPUTATIONS--- 

MATTHEW 14:31  AND  IMMEDIATELY  JESUS  STRETCHED  FORTH  HIS  HAND  AND  CAUGHT  HIM  AND  SAID  UNTO  HIM  --- O  THEE  OF  LITTLE  FAITH  WHEREFORE  DIDST  THOU  DOUBT 

JOHN 8:45  AND  BECAUSE  --I-- TELL  YOU  THE  TRUTH  YOU  BELIEVE  ME  NOT

JOHN 8:47  HE  THAT  IS  OF  GOD  HEARETH  GODS  WORDS  YOU  THEREFORE  HEAR  THEM  NOT  --- BECAUSE  YOU  ARE  NOT  OF  GOD ---

Oh my, so loud. I've been banned from chat for a lesser crime than this :rofl:

• Haha 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

19 hours ago, steve morrow said:

2 CORINTHIANS 6:14  BE  YOU  NOT  UNEQUALLY  YOKED  TOGETHER  WITH  UNBELIEVERS FOR  WHAT  FELLOWSHIP  HATH  RIGHTEOUSNESS  WITH  UNRIGHTEOUSNESS  AND  WHAT  COMMUNION  HATH  LIGHT  WITH  DAR

What if you’re married to one?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

On 12/29/2020 at 1:59 AM, Sower said:

"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
So then because
thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth"

To be a lukewarm believer is to be as vomit.

I view Paul as on fire, originally just on the wrong road.
God knew a dedicated on fire soldier when He saw one, and set him on the right road.
No one can say he was lukewarm.
With all I/we need to learn to walk in Christ, I wonder the catalyst/origins to the doubts of Paul's credibility
as an inspired writer of the word. 

Luke and Mark were not apostles, yet wrote the gospels.

Amen Paul fought the good fight right up until his death, he resisted on to blood, he loved not his life onto the end and was a great example to the Church

Edited by vic66
spelling mistake
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

11 hours ago, vic66 said:

Amen Paul fought the good fight right up until his death, he resisted on to blood, he loved not his live onto the end and was a great example to the Church

Just like Mary 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

CAPS 

PSALM 132:9  LET  THY  PRIESTS  BE  CLOTHED  WITH  RIGHTEOUSNESS  AND  LET  THY  SAINTS  SHOUT  FOR  JOY  

PSALM 32:11  be glad in  THE  LORD  and rejoice you righteous ---AND  SHOUT  FOR  JOY--- all you that are upright in heart

PSALM 56:11  in  GOD  have I put my trust I will not be afraid of what man can do unto me

*******JAMES 4:4  you adulterers and adulteresses know you not that the friendship of the world is enmity with  GOD  whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of  GOD*******

ACTS 28:27  FOR  THE  HEART  OF  THIS  PEOPLE  IS  WAXED  GROSS  AND  THEIR  EARS  ARE  DULL  OF HEARING  AND  THEIR  EYES  HAVE  THEY  CLOSED  LEST  THEY  SHOULD  SEE  WITH  THEIR  EYES  AND  HEAR  WITH  THEIR  EARS  AND  UNDERSTAND  WITH  THEIR  HEART  AND  SHOULD  BE  CONVERTED  AND  I  SHOULD  HEALL THEM

LUKE 8:21  and  HE  answered and said unto them  MY  mother and  MY  brethren are these which hear the word of  --GOD--  and do it