• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, grahampaul said:

this is 2 timothy 1. 20 For it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." berean  study bible. thats no indwelling but the power of God working  through them.

Must be a typo because there is no 2 Timothy 1:20 when it ends at verse 18.

We should quote the verse in the context of the message and the event for why Jesus is speaking which is to send His 12 disciples out to preach the kingdom of heaven to all the cities of Israel until He comes for them to continue on with Him in ministry.

Matthew 10:9 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

Whether it be per your Bible version as "through you" or the KJV as "in you" the Holy Spirit has to be in them for the Spirit of the Father to speak through them.

It was a temporary indwelling of the Holy Spirit rather than the promise of the permanent indwelling of the Holy Ghost at their salvation moment when they wee to be born again of the Spirit when Jesus was no longer with them but has gone to the Father above as this promise was to be sent from the Father.

Thank you for sharing.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

As I have warned in the past and do so now because these threads keep popping up:
The major concern that I hold against the present tongues movement is that it supports, persuades, urges people to do so as it is a indication of the presence of God The Holy Spirit… When one examines the basic thrust or bottom line of tongues you find that it is moving faith or trust in one’s own intuitions or feelings (APART) from the communication of words of which lies God’S Word… Directly speaking it is faith directly opposite that of what God says:
Romans 10:17 (KJV)
[17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God

Here in this present tongues it is feelings or intuitions… if tongues were followed Scripturally there would be no issue within the Church. As no tongue should be heard or publicly spoken without interpretation- why? So that the completed Word could be examined as to the validity of truth that was coming from that which was said…

No one can argue the validity of the foundation which is God’s Word 
2 Timothy 3:15-17 (KJV)
[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.16
  • Days Won:  0

59 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

As I have warned in the past and do so now because these threads keep popping up:
The major concern that I hold against the present tongues movement is that it supports, persuades, urges people to do so as it is a indication of the presence of God The Holy Spirit… When one examines the basic thrust or bottom line of tongues you find that it is moving faith or trust in one’s own intuitions or feelings (APART) from the communication of words of which lies God’S Word… Directly speaking it is faith directly opposite that of what God says:
Romans 10:17 (KJV)
[17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God

Here in this present tongues it is feelings or intuitions… if tongues were followed Scripturally there would be no issue within the Church. As no tongue should be heard or publicly spoken without interpretation- why? So that the completed Word could be examined as to the validity of truth that was coming from that which was said…

No one can argue the validity of the foundation which is God’s Word 
2 Timothy 3:15-17 (KJV)
[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works

I have no idea what you're trying to say.  Speaking in tongues is one of the many gifts given by God to those who He chooses.  I am one of those people and have spoken in tongues, both publicly and privately for many years.  I am a sincere and devoted Christian man and will remain so forever.

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

I have no idea what you're trying to say.  Speaking in tongues is one of the many gifts given by God to those who He chooses.  I am one of those people and have spoken in tongues, both publicly and privately for many years.  I am a sincere and devoted Christian man and will remain so forever.

Do you know what is being said when this occurs?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  1.01

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

I agree here that the other Poster is missing the obvious point here.   Paul obviously did it because Paul also explains doing it Edified Paul.   The more Paul Spoke in Tongues, the more Edified in God he experienced.   That "is Not" an emotion or emotional state.

Paul was [not] being charged up by his emotions but by the Holy Spirit Dwelling inside of him.   And it is the "same" for us Today.

Edited by LiveWire
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

I believe one can be a sincere and devoted Christian man without tongues for private use.  That does not mean you are not one for using tongues for private use, but if tongues should cease, you may find yourself praying more & giving thanks more because you would know what you had prayed for to see answers to prayers.

If it was really for private use, nobody would be mentioning it, if the Holy Spirit really was manifesting tongues for His own private use.

But it is being mentioned publicly as it unwittingly divides the body of Christ from those that do not speak in tongues.

There is an air of exclusivity that makes God look evil for showing partiality within the body of Christ for why I do not believe His gift of tongues can be for private use and why it should be discerned as not of Him at all.

Edited by ChristB4us

7 minutes ago, LiveWire said:

I agree here that the other Poster is missing the obvious point here.   Paul obviously did it because Paul also explains doing it Edified Paul.   The more Paul Spoke in Tongues, the more Edified in God he experienced.   That "is Not" an emotion or emotional state.

Paul was [not] being charged up by his emotions but by the Holy Spirit Dwelling inside of him.   And it is the "same" for us Today.

No I am sorry but you are not getting what I wrote by the response you have given…
It is simple… God’s Word, That The Holy Spirit inspired, is written communication where anyone can examine it’s content by sensual means. With proper understanding how to contextualize that which is written gives the message that was originally written for all times and epochs… Tongues, not interpreted, gives no such format… tongues message cannot even be discerned by the mind but operated totally outside of reasoning into sensual feelings and intuitions without words understandable… 

5 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

No I am sorry but you are not getting what I wrote by the response you have given…
It is simple… God’s Word, That The Holy Spirit inspired, is written communication where anyone can examine it’s content by sensual means. With proper understanding how to contextualize that which is written gives the message that was originally written for all times and epochs… Tongues, not interpreted, gives no such format… tongues message cannot even be discerned by the mind but operated totally outside of reasoning into sensual feelings and intuitions without words understandable… 

What?  Are you serious?

Do you really think that the Holy Spirit can only communicate through written communication?  So, no illiterate person can possibly be a believer and/or hear from God???

Speaking in tongues is a gift from God, given to some of us according to His will.  (That is the case with all His gifts.)  Your jealousy doesn't contradict God's goodness.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  1.01

1 minute ago, enoob57 said:

Just between You and myself, it has been a very long time that I believed I was in a Congregation on fire for God when real true Tongues and Interpretation took place.   And I have never witnessed, in those precious days, whenever Tongues and Interpretation took place, being done by one person.   I had witnessed a few people who Spoke in Tongues and 2 who Interpreted.  This was back in the early 1980's.   Since then, I have no opinion for what is happening now.  It clearly has a different spirit involved.

As for daily Prayer, Paul said he Spoke in Tongues more than anyone.   He also said Speaking in Tongues has a place and purpose and he warned to use it wisely and spiratically.   Which means, as much as Paul Spoke in Tongues to mention it, if it wasn't done in Church, because he warned how and when to know it is correct which means there was order.   So to Speak in Tongues as much as Paul would require doing it in your personal prayer.   And it's not that there is Interpretation in personal Speaking in Tongues but a sense of knowing what it means, what was being said.  But the real Benefit is the Edification happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, ChristB4us said:

I believe one can be a sincere and devoted Christian man without tongues for private use.  That does not mean you are not one for using tongues for private use, but if tongues should cease, you may find yourself praying more & giving thanks more because you would know what you had prayed for to see answers to prayers.

If it was really for private use, nobody would be mentioning it, if the Holy Spirit really was manifesting tongues for His own private use.

But it is being mentioned publicly as it unwittingly divides the body of Christ from those that do not speak in tongues.

There is an air of exclusivity that makes God look evil for showing partiality within the body of Christ for why I do not believe His gift of tongues can be for private use and why it should be discerned as not of Him at all.

LOL!!!  Speaking in tongues, of itself, does not divide the body of Christ.  It is the objections (and jealousy?) of those who oppose God's gift that are responsible for the division.

God gives His gifts as He determines.  He is sovereign and doesn't depend on the jealousy and/or opposition of those who haven't received it.

The opposition reminds me of children at a birthday party who are jealous because they didn't receive presents.  It would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

• Well Said! 1