• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

21 hours ago, Marathoner said:

For what purpose, may I ask? One's DNA doesn't inform the inquirer regarding a person's habits nor their behaviors. It doesn't spell out how an individual thinks, either. This sort of information is what companies actually pay for, missmuffet. 

Each time you make a purchase... every time you access the internet... your mouse clicks on webpages... your geolocation... populates a profile unique to your IP maintained by a number of tech firms such as google (Alphabet) and Facebook. Both have come under fire for selling this information. 

This is known as "data mining." Our DNA is nothing compared to our habits. 

A person's DNA tells a lot about that person. If it didn't it would not be useful for law enforcement. I don't see where "your habits" come into it at all. When a person purchases a DNA to be done just for their own curiosity it may not even be accurate. You are giving someone a lot of information about your genetics. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,340
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

16 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

A person's DNA tells a lot about that person. If it didn't it would not be useful for law enforcement. I don't see where "your habits" come into it at all. When a person purchases a DNA to be done just for their own curiosity it may not even be accurate. You are giving someone a lot of information about your genetics. 

DNA can be used to establish empirical identity to forensic science, missmuffet. I will not reinvent the wheel to explain something which is common knowledge. 

Again, why is a person's DNA worth buying? You haven't answered this question. "A person's DNA tells a lot about that person" is not an answer. How is an individual's DNA as important as intimate knowledge of their personal habits? The latter is something which companies pay handsomely to acquire; that is a demonstrable fact. I've answered your baseless assertion that one's DNA can be used by insurance companies in an unethical manner by pointing out the existence of laws which forbid such a thing. This is covered under the umbrella of "preexisting conditions." 

Besides, DNA can be harvested in a number of different ways so if your claim were true, this would be common practice by now (which it is not). Where are you coming up with this stuff?

6 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

DNA can be used to establish empirical identity to forensic science, missmuffet. I will not reinvent the wheel to explain something which is common knowledge. 

Again, why is a person's DNA worth buying? You haven't answered this question. "A person's DNA tells a lot about that person" is not an answer. How is an individual's DNA as important as intimate knowledge of their personal habits? The latter is something which companies pay handsomely to acquire; that is a demonstrable fact. I've answered your baseless assertion that one's DNA can be used by insurance companies in an unethical manner by pointing out the existence of laws which forbid such a thing. This is covered under the umbrella of "preexisting conditions." 

Besides, DNA can be harvested in a number of different ways so if your claim were true, this would be common practice by now (which it is not). Where are you coming up with this stuff?

Why do you endorse the DNA test?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  9.65
  • Days Won:  149

There are less accurate DNA tests and better ones. I have taken several. I'm a white person with roots primarily from Europe. Surprise! We are just stubborn Europeans who didn't want to live in Europe. Boarded ships and never came back.

Genetics determined by DNA can be a valuable research tool for determining which groups are more prone to certain health concerns. Treatments can be built around these findings. 

There are potential nefarious uses for it as have been discussed, even if only in conspiracy territory at this point.

Much like the companies who first came out with a COVID vaccine. Pharmaceutical companies stand to make a LOT of money based on this information. We are paying them while giving it to them the information. This is win win for them. I believe money is the prime motivator right now. Might become more evil later on though.

Many people have an interest in their backgrounds. Families don't keep records and many can't go back more than a few generations before they loose the trail. Unfortunately some people find their identity through it. One person I know well swore she was largely American Indian. Went to pow wows, had all these Indian things around the house. Turns out she is 99% White European.......so in some cases knowing might be a downer. I think she wanted to be Indian.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,167
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

On 1/3/2021 at 8:18 PM, missmuffet said:

Getting DNA testing has become quite popular. Do you think a Christian should get DNA testing? There have been some people who have liked some of the results but some people who have not liked some of the results. 

I don't see an issue with DNA testing from a Biblical standpoint, and I don't see anything that would make it "wrong" for a believer to get a DNA test especially if its for medical purposes.

There are some things to consider if someone is thinking about testing to learn about their ancestry, etc.

1. How accurate is this particular DNA test?

There are different types of tests and their accuracy can vary and this will affect the results you get in unexpected ways.

2. How much do you really want to know about your (genetic) past? 

There have been some articles over the last few years describing folks who have gotten very unexpected results from a DNA test. Some have found out they were not related to their parents, i.e. adopted (which the woman already knew.) Another person found out she'd been swapped at birth after an investigation. Several other folks learned more about their family history than they wanted to (think adultery.)

3. Are you prepared to face the possible consequences of the DNA test results?

These can vary, but consider, "How should/would I deal with the results if they show something unexpected?

Speaking for myself, I already know that our family came from the UK originally. Some left voluntarily while others left in chains, and none were related to royalty except those who escaped before being thrown in jail!  :laugh:  So I'm going to leave well enough alone and not ask more questions. I have enough to deal with here in the present without being overly concerned about things in the past and I think I'll leave it that way.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,515
  • Content Per Day:  2.69
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/3/2021 at 10:51 PM, Tristen said:

Hi Missmuffet,

Just to get it out-of-the-way, there is nothing immoral or unChristian about DNA testing.

My concerns are probably more in the 'conspiracy theory' realm. Once you have given your DNA to someone, you have given them enough information to construct your personal genome (and by default, most of the genome of your close relatives – including descendants). International law is vague and variant with regards to who owns that information and what they are permitted to do with it. It is plausible that this could one day be used against you – for example, to restrict your future access to health/life insurances or career options. Technology is moving so fast – there is no way to tell how this information might be used in the future.

Also, I don't think the the claimed results are necessarily accurate; especially those based on secular models of human history and migration. Only a relative few markers are tested. So I'm not sure any pay-off is worth the money or effort (i.e. it is borderline dishonesty to claim that the result mean what they claim they do).

If it's just for curiosity, I suppose there is no real harm (so long as you do not put too much emotional stock in the results). I personally do not like the idea of my DNA sample sitting in someone's freezer, or my genome being available to whoever for whatever, or stored in hackable computer systems. But that's just me. I'd only consider getting a DNA test for medical reasons.

I guess the main question for me would be – 'Are the results worth the cost and privacy risks?'.

Exactly what I was thinking! I can't prove it but, I've heard ancestry dot com gives away that DNA information to other sources. In addition, I'm also under the impression, everyone that gets arrested these days and goes to the police station, has to provide a DNA sample? 

Living in the latter days, it makes sense that there has to be a DNA data base. As you stated, it's probably not so much for genealogy reasons; as a data base to solve crimes; genetic markers for certain diseases with health policy exclusions and individual personal identity. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,340
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

9 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Why do you endorse the DNA test?

Where did I state that, missmuffet? I have asked you why someone's DNA is important enough for a company to purchase. Obviously you aren't in a position to answer that question so there's nothing else to say. :)   

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/3/2021 at 8:51 PM, Tristen said:

Hi Missmuffet,

Just to get it out-of-the-way, there is nothing immoral or unChristian about DNA testing.

My concerns are probably more in the 'conspiracy theory' realm. Once you have given your DNA to someone, you have given them enough information to construct your personal genome (and by default, most of the genome of your close relatives – including descendants). International law is vague and variant with regards to who owns that information and what they are permitted to do with it. It is plausible that this could one day be used against you – for example, to restrict your future access to health/life insurances or career options. Technology is moving so fast – there is no way to tell how this information might be used in the future.

Also, I don't think the the claimed results are necessarily accurate; especially those based on secular models of human history and migration. Only a relative few markers are tested. So I'm not sure any pay-off is worth the money or effort (i.e. it is borderline dishonesty to claim that the result mean what they claim they do).

If it's just for curiosity, I suppose there is no real harm (so long as you do not put too much emotional stock in the results). I personally do not like the idea of my DNA sample sitting in someone's freezer, or my genome being available to whoever for whatever, or stored in hackable computer systems. But that's just me. I'd only consider getting a DNA test for medical reasons.

I guess the main question for me would be – 'Are the results worth the cost and privacy risks?'.

I don't have any answers but that when I prayed upon it, as I do have a valid reason to get tested (there is an issue with my family tree), I felt the pull of the holy spirit away from the idea.  I was just looking at the least costly ways on-line.

So if I ever need too, I have it done the private way only (and not the add to whoevers genetic data base, at perhaps less cost).

Edited by suzan344

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

59 minutes ago, suzan344 said:

I don't have any answers but that when I prayed upon it, as I do have a valid reason to get tested (there is an issue with my family tree), I felt the pull of the holy spirit away from the idea.  I was just looking at the least costly ways on-line.

So if I ever need too, I have it done the private way only (and not the add to whoevers genetic data base, at perhaps less cost).

Hi Suzan,

If you really want a "private way", you could cultivate a relationship with someone who works in a molecular lab. They might be kind enough to run the test for you. Most of these kinds of tests are fairly rudimentary for someone working in the right kind of lab (usually some kind of PCR - takes about 4-or-so hours from DNA-collection to results - much of that time is waiting for machines to do their thing).

Obviously, follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I do not personally think anyone should be scared to get a DNA test if they have a medically "valid reason" to do so. The conspiracy theorist in me just figures - why take any unnecessary risks with your own DNA for frivolous reasons if you don't have to?

13 hours ago, Marathoner said:

Where did I state that, missmuffet? I have asked you why someone's DNA is important enough for a company to purchase. Obviously you aren't in a position to answer that question so there's nothing else to say. :)   

I can see the importance of someone having their DNA done if there is a serious crime. I can see the importance of some having their DNA done by a medical professional if they have a serious genetic disorder. But not just for their own curiosity.