assurance of salvation question

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I feel assured that I'm not going to get a heart attack today. If I go outside and take a walk I feel assured im not going to slip on ice, crack my head open and die today. But I don't supernaturally know for dead certain that either two of those things ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOR DEAD CERTAIN. But I feel assured it's not going to happen. Is it the same with the typical salvation experience? You don't have that super natural dead certain knowing but have the same type of assurance you're not going to randomly get a heart attack in the next minute kind of thing? im sure some people have that experience, but is that common of the typical saved person?

Edited by F_Ivan

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Yes, I am assured and sure.

Gods word is clear, He intervened in my life and has proven Himself to me in very specific personal ways.

over and over again. I am assured of an actual historic Jesus Christ and what He accomplished for me.

The entire universe and the reality of what I am as a being only makes sense when there is a personal God that Loves me.

Edited by Alive...Off Duty
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Terms such as assurance tend to be somewhat ambiguous because different Christians use them in different ways.  Some use them in precisely defined theological ways and others in less definite emotional ways.  Some tie them to doctrinal beliefs and others to feelings.  Some Christians make a big deal out of phrases such as "know for sure" to describe assurance and as a proof of salvation.  I recall once when a fellow believer doing door to door evangelism knocked at my door and asked if I knew for sure I was saved.  I made the mistake of replying that I had much confidence in my salvation.  After I said that, I couldn't convince him I was a Christian because I didn't give the exact answer he wanted to hear.  Even after I gave a quick version of my testimony, he kept trying to lead me in a sinner's prayer because I hadn't immediately said I knew for sure I was saved.

Having listened to many testimonies of many Christians with various doctrinal outlooks using different words to describe what seems to be the same things, this is the pattern I see.   Most Christians testify of some type of conversion event and experience (be it called being saved, saying a sinner's prayer, being born again, accepting Christ, becoming a Christian, or whatever) at which they become aware of God's presence in some way in their heart.   In the months and years following that, most Christians also talk about having intellectual and emotional doubts and insecurities about God and our standing with Him at various times and for various reasons.   Many Christians attempt to resolve these issues (usually with limited success) by reading apologetics materials, trying to convince themselves intellectually to have no doubts about various doctrinal beliefs, memorizing particular Bible verses, and in general trying to work harder at being a good Christian.  However, the one pattern I've seen that usually holds is that our trust and confidence in God simply grows more and more over months, years, and decades of getting to know Him more and more from His working in our hearts and lives and in those around us.  In other words, the more we get to know God Himself via our daily spiritual walk, the more trust and confidence we have in Him and the more assurance we have that we are indeed His.   Ultimately, our trust and confidence and faith rests in knowing God Himself and not just convincing ourselves to have no doubts about particular doctrinal or biblical facts about God. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Yes...He give us that assurance....He is a personal God and desires that we trust Him. That happens as we know Him in real time. This is alien to some who are Born again. In part, I must conclude, it involves expectations. And that is connected to teaching. Ultimately to Gods will, as He is perfectly capable of getting through to us.

Ask.....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.54
  • Days Won:  12

27 minutes ago, F_Ivan said:

I feel assured that I'm not going to get a heart attack today. If I go outside and take a walk I feel assured im not going to slip on ice, crack my head open and die today. But I don't supernaturally know for dead certain that either two of those things ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN FOR DEAD CERTAIN. But I feel assured it's not going to happen. Is it the same with the typical salvation experience? You don't have that super natural dead certain knowing but have the same type of assurance you're not going to randomly get a heart attack in the next minute kind of thing? im sure some people have that experience, but is that common of the typical saved person?

In genuine salvation you have that supernatural, certain knowing.  Here is part of a famous hymn, which describes it very well.

"Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee."

[And Can It Be, verse 4, by Charles Wesley]

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, F_Ivan said:

One of the lessons in a Christian life is to trust the Lord.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Faith for Christian salvation is an active, affirmative assurance and expectation of God's goodness. That is different to what you describe in your post (i.e. the passive assurance that some specific bad event is not imminent).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

7 hours ago, David1701 said:

In genuine salvation you have that supernatural, certain knowing.  Here is part of a famous hymn, which describes it very well.

"Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee."

[And Can It Be, verse 4, by Charles Wesley]

well it seems like its almost impossible to be saved then, i thought the condition was believe in your heart to be saved and not of works. not grovel every day to God for years and maybe god will save you

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

We are assured salvation, because God is faithful, and  what God has promised us will indeed be accomplished. God can not lie, and He will not lie to us.  Faith in Him isn't based on feelings that change from time to time, but on the knowledge of  the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.  The  Holy Spirit within us testifies to this and assures us that we are saved the moment we believed the gospel message in our hearts.

God transforms our lives from the inside, showing an outward transformation of a changed life.  This change is confirmation of our salvation.  After an encounter with our saviour, we are never the same as we were before.  

The following scriptures assures us that if we believe, we are indeed saved.

Acts 2:21 and Romans 10:13
And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

John 5:24
Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

John 6:47
Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life.

John 10:28
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

John 17:3
Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

1 John 2:25
And this is what he promised us—eternal life

1 John 5:11
And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

1 John 5:13
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

4 hours ago, F_Ivan said:

well it seems like its almost impossible to be saved then, i thought the condition was believe in your heart to be saved and not of works. not grovel every day to God for years and maybe god will save you

The scriptures are full of God's directives to "BELIEVE" and "BE SAVED". Doctrines are full of man's ideas on how to be 'properly saved'. Some even say it is impossible for one reason or another and cite God's Sovereign power as some kind of majestic roulette game.

It is as straight forward as @appy says. (above). God designed it all so every person that choses Him will be saved. Simple and yet profound.

• Thumbs Up 1