Uber Genius

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

A poll taken by George Barna called, "6 Reasons Young Christians Leave Church," suggested that, "Churches seem overprotective, or Churches are too concerned that movies, music, and games (pop culture), are harmful." 

I raised my children in the mid-1990s through 2010. We never owned cable tv, we had a language filter on our tv, and for a few years, when our kids decided tv and video game watching rules didn't apply when I travelled for work, (which was every week), I took the tv power cord with me. So it is fair to say that I'm on the extreme side of the bell curve when it comes to measuring overprotection from pop culture.

My three kids all remain in the church to this day. They thank me for forcing them to read and memorize scripture, ask questions of every idea or hypothesis by every author (of course they complained vociferously when they were kids).

What is others experience of protection by church against pop culture?

Where should we draw the line?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

31 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

You did the correct thing!

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  1

It depends. Seen both sides with varying results so I'm not sure what is at play in every situation.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

11 hours ago, Uber Genius said:

A poll taken by George Barna called, "6 Reasons Young Christians Leave Church," suggested that, "Churches seem overprotective, or Churches are too concerned that movies, music, and games (pop culture), are harmful." 

I raised my children in the mid-1990s through 2010. We never owned cable tv, we had a language filter on our tv, and for a few years, when our kids decided tv and video game watching rules didn't apply when I travelled for work, (which was every week), I took the tv power cord with me. So it is fair to say that I'm on the extreme side of the bell curve when it comes to measuring overprotection from pop culture.

My three kids all remain in the church to this day. They thank me for forcing them to read and memorize scripture, ask questions of every idea or hypothesis by every author (of course they complained vociferously when they were kids).

What is others experience of protection by church against pop culture?

Well, if I was growing up in your household back in the 60's, I'd require you to let me watch Batman on TV. And there was a full can of Musselman's apple sauce three nights a week. And absolutley no Del Monte canned peas.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,127
  • Content Per Day:  9.65
  • Days Won:  149

I almost relied to this yesterday. I had actually written a bunch and deleted all of it. Today I decided I would comment. The question itself seems sincere yet much too ambiguous for a clear answer.

VERY ambiguous. "Churches"?  Then there's the matter of polls in general. I had written a bunch on their inaccuracy. So we are now polling an ambiguous group. That's two strikes against ever getting any sort of accurate information.

Next comes something thrown in that really wasn't directly related to the OT. This was how much the family makes a difference in a child.For me at least, it goes without saying the family is a HUGE factor in how a child develops. I can't say I always got that right though I did try.

There's the idea of either strict or lenient parents. Two extremes. Strict or lenient churches. Two extremes.I had my children in a  church that I believed at the time would help them to grow. What parent wouldn't? The pastor at that church held to what the bible taught as best he could. I would look at popular culture and influences and compare them as a parent to scripture.

"Be not conformed to this world" is one clear teaching. Be not conformed to their ideas of what's important. Be not conformed to their ways. What are their ways? Immorality, witchcraft, the love of money over the love of God. Materialism. Idolatry. Love of self, narcissism. They look at the NOW and not the future. They want their way not God's way. Parents teach their children what they think is important through their actions. The fruits of the spirit are love and patience among others. 

I think it's important to make sure children know why. They need to see the results of going the other way before they entertain the thought.Why do mom, dad and the church teach these things? If dad doesn't really know, there's no way he can relay that to the child.

It really is a balance to make sure children have a good foundation at an early age. You are not your child's best friend, you are their parent. There will be friction. If you make rules and then let them break them what's the point? If you let the child tell you what they are going to do who is in control?

• Praise God! 1

15 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Well, if I was growing up in your household back in the 60's, I'd require you to let me watch Batman on TV. And there was a full can of Musselman's apple sauce three nights a week. And absolutley no Del Monte canned peas.

Lol. Loved Batman. Wild Wild West was one of my favorites. My parents were more lenient about engaging pop culture than I was. Of course, my parents nixed, "Love, American Style," after having to explain to two 8-year old twin boys why men were continually laying in bed with women that were not their wives! So pop culture was tamer then. Within twenty years I needed to add a language filter to my tv (not even cable).

I think longingly about the sixties, but I was ignorant of the leftist anarchists (Black Panthers, Weather Undergound), and the riots taking place in Watts and Detroit, Boston. And the BLM riots over the summer actually had a smaller death toll, although similar financial ruin for poor communities that will take decades to recover from.

I would like to return to Saturday mornings in the mid-60s eating Cap'n Crunch and watching Jonny Quest cartoons. Alas, there are barbarians at the gates. No Cap'n Crunch for me. 

1 hour ago, Starise said:

Be not conformed to this world" is one clear teaching. Be not conformed to their ideas of what's important. Be not conformed to their ways. What are their ways? Immorality, witchcraft, the love of money over the love of God. Materialism. Idolatry. Love of self, narcissism. They look at the NOW and not the future. They want their way not God's way. Parents teach their children what they think is important through their actions. The fruits of the spirit are love and patience among others. 

Great point. I pulled my oldest child out of public school and started home schooling when she was in second grade.

The incident was my daughter brought home a permission slip for her to receive two hours of training into eastern meditation (TM where she would learn how to yoke herself to demonic beings and then learn to converse with those beings as spirit guides)! 

The teacher, and principle, as well as all office staff, destine closed doors, got to hear me fire the teacher and principle for gross negligence, the following day!

Galatians 5:22-23 is a high standard but the right one.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,657
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

People leave the church for any number of reasons. Plug this hole or that, and they'll find another to escape through.

I believe certain things "must needs be" in this life... if nothing else, to better reach others who have been through the

same experiences. A recovering alcoholic can reach alcoholics... that sort of thing.

But those who raise their kids strictly are not to be condemned!!!

You all are the exception. Be glad. Your children will.

My Beloved Wife's parents were strict. She loathed it at the time 

but was so very grateful in later life.

And compared to mine... well suffice it to say she had a better

childhood.

• Loved it! 1

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

My Beloved Wife's parents were strict. She loathed it at the time 

but was so very grateful in later life.

And compared to mine... well suffice it to say she had a better

childhood.

My wife says she would have been much better off being raised by my parents than hers due to their Christian discipleship approach as opposed to what she describes her parents doing which was flowing with culture and Christianity in name only.

When I talk about my parents bringing my brother and I to minister to the poor at age 10 or volunteering us at nursing homes for the summer at age 13-15 ( criminal offense right), memorizing scripture at 7-12 grade, prayer meetings and bible study several days a week. Torture. 

Curfew of 12:00 on Friday and Saturday as senior in HS. That's just shy of a concentration camp. But I went to college with self-discipline and avoided the mistakes that trapped many of my friends for decades. 

And my church family was priceless! Great teaching, demonstration of God's love, great fun working together to serve the Lord and expand the KOG. Those were heady, formative years. 

• Praise God! 2

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

24 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

Lol. Loved Batman. Wild Wild West was one of my favorites. My parents were more lenient about engaging pop culture than I was. Of course, my parents nixed, "Love, American Style," after having to explain to two 8-year old twin boys why men were continually laying in bed with women that were not their wives! So pop culture was tamer then. Within twenty years I needed to add a language filter to my tv (not even cable).

I think longingly about the sixties, but I was ignorant of the leftist anarchists (Black Panthers, Weather Undergound), and the riots taking place in Watts and Detroit, Boston. And the BLM riots over the summer actually had a smaller death toll, although similar financial ruin for poor communities that will take decades to recover from.

I would like to return to Saturday mornings in the mid-60s eating Cap'n Crunch and watching Jonny Quest cartoons. Alas, there are barbarians at the gates. No Cap'n Crunch for me. 

You should have been watching Fury and Sky King on Saturday mornings.