• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/6/2021 at 3:29 AM, JohnD said:

Ophthalmologist preferably. An optometrist totally missed the glaucoma in my Beloved Bride's eyes. 

Pressure was extremely high when an Ophthalmologist caught it. Worth the extra bucks. 

UK terminology and set-up. We can't refer ourselves directly to an ophthalmologist here, but I'm tested for glaucoma every time I visit the optician. I'm not sure that "optician" and "optometrist" are equivalent.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

4 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

UK terminology and set-up. We can't refer ourselves directly to an ophthalmologist here, but I'm tested for glaucoma every time I visit the optician. I'm not sure that "optician" and "optometrist" are equivalent.

Okay. But as I said, my Beloved Wife's glaucoma was missed by an optometrist she went to yearly. Be careful be diligent. It costs you vision... and complications...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,234
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

an optician makes glasses and an optometrist checks eyesight and fits glasses, an ophthalmologist is a medical doctor that takes care of everything concerning your eyes.

You need to see an ophthalmologist concerning floaters.

I'm 73 and have had floaters for so many years I don't remember when they started.  Some go away and some don't.  None of mine have been small round dots.  They have been irregular shaped and move around. They are usually just junk floating around in your eye.  Usually blood from a leak.   If the black dots don't move, they can be really serious and should be checked.   If flashing lights are involved you need to see a doctor (ophthalmologist) immediately.

• Thumbs Up 1