Peterlag

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

1Cor 9:25  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 
9:26  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 
9:27  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. 

(DRB)  But I chastise my body and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.
(KJV) But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
(NENT)  but I bruise my *body, and bring it into bondage: lest by any means, after that I have preached to others, I myself should be disapproved.
(YLT)  but I chastise my body, and bring it into servitude, lest by any means, having preached to others—I myself may become disapproved.

Edited by Waggles
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  10

1 minute ago, Waggles said:

1Cor 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 
9:26  I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 
9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. 

(DRB)  But I chastise my body and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.
(ESV)  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
(NENT)  but I bruise my *body, and bring it into bondage: lest by any means, after that I have preached to others, I myself should be disapproved.
(YLT)  but I chastise my body, and bring it into servitude, lest by any means, having preached to others—I myself may become disapproved.

Sounds like Paul struggled with sin?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, Whyme said:

Sounds like Paul struggled with sin?

As do we all. I am not yet perfect as Peterlag is ... obviously a true saint on Earth.  

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,316
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

3 minutes ago, Whyme said:

Good thing my hope rests not on my proformance or the words of theologians, but instead rests on the beautiful lord Jesus. I am ugly but his beauty guides me. Lord keep me with you always.

I agree with the spirit of what you wrote but don't throw the baby out with the bath water (in a manner of speaking). There are some, called by God, who are sent to edify us with the meat of God's words. That is the place of the teacher approved by God. We see the proof of this in the many-membered Body of Christ; does the hand do the job of the foot, and does the ear substitute for the nose? Of course this is an analogy but I encourage you to search the scriptures to see whether or not what I write is true. 

Not all teachers are equal which is why we are exhorted (encouraged) to test the spirits to see if they are of God. I don't know about anyone else, but I leap for joy whenever I encounter a brother or sister walking in those works which the Lord ordained for them. It such a beautiful and lovely thing to witness. I sometimes refer to this as my reward in this life, that the Lord has seen fit to give me this opportunity to walk with Him and witness His marvelous works.  My joy will be realized on that day when I will witness my family (you are my family) stand before the Lord and He will welcome you all into His kingdom without end. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Waggles said:

As do we all. I am not yet perfect as Peterlag is ... obviously a true saint on Earth.  

I'm far from perfect. In many ways I'm defeated but I keep getting back up and trying. Recently I've been meditating on gods love and staying within it. 

• Loved it! 2

17 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

I agree with the spirit of what you wrote but don't throw the baby out with the bath water (in a manner of speaking). There are some, called by God, who are sent to edify us with the meat of God's words. That is the place of the teacher approved by God. We see the proof of this in the many-membered Body of Christ; does the hand do the job of the foot, and does the ear substitute for the nose? Of course this is an analogy but I encourage you to search the scriptures to see whether or not what I write is true. 

Not all teachers are equal which is why we are exhorted (encouraged) to test the spirits to see if they are of God. I don't know about anyone else, but I leap for joy whenever I encounter a brother or sister walking in those works which the Lord ordained for them. It such a beautiful and lovely thing to witness. I sometimes refer to this as my reward in this life, that the Lord has seen fit to give me this opportunity to walk with Him and witness His marvelous works.  My joy will be realized on that day when I will witness my family (you are my family) stand before the Lord and He will welcome you all into His kingdom without end. 

Sure but debate has a way of causing  unrest within. So I look at the Lord my rock instead of the debate between theologians. 

Don't mind me, your debate is ok. I wasn't criticizing

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Waggles said:

Galatians 5:17
(DRB)  For the flesh lusteth against the spirit: and the spirit against the flesh: For these are contrary one to another: so that you do not the things that you would.
(ESV)  For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.
(KJV)  For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
(Weymouth)  For the cravings of the lower nature are opposed to those of the Spirit, and the cravings of the Spirit are opposed to those of the lower nature; because these are antagonistic to each other, so that you cannot do everything to which you are inclined.
(YLT)  for the flesh doth desire contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit contrary to the flesh, and these are opposed one to another, that the things that ye may will—these ye may not do;

I'm not walking in that flesh that you speak of. I'm walking in the spirit.

7 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

To believe in a "sin nature" would give us an excuse to blame our sin on someone else, wouldn't it? I suspect we were born without a sin nature, but when we commited our first sin, we created a small addiction to sin, and with each sin, the addiction grows bigger. But then, if we stop sinning, the addiction should fade till it exists no more.

Jesus Christ destroyed the sin nature when the spirit of Christ entered the Christian.

Romans 6:6
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 hours ago, Starise said:

All three of your scripture references tell us that it is possible to still sin as a Christian. 

Not when you're walking in the spirit because the spirit does not sin.