IGNORED

Do We Have Any Teachers Here On Worthy?

Guest clancy

Guest clancy

If so, explain how you know you were called to teach others?

Were you called to go to a bible college or university?

Are you positive God called you to teach?

Guest clancy

I know George is a teacher, I would like some insight from him, on how he was called.?...

in case you don’t see this post @George, when you get a moment,please answer.

Edited by clancy

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, clancy said:

If so, explain how you know you were called to teach others?

Were you called to go to a bible college or university?

Are you positive God called you to teach?

I would caution anyone before attending bible school to do some reading and study of the historic church and their various 'ideas' down thru the ages. It might be a well advisable thing to do first.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,089
  • Content Per Day:  9.73
  • Days Won:  149

When I was a much younger Christian I  led a Sunday School class which sort of blossomed for a bit there at that church. One of the very first subjects I taught was Paul's God inspired words in the NT relating to false teachers. I remember studying it like there was no tomorrow. I had all my passages highlighted with all of my "ducks in a row" so to speak.

Though I have no formal seminary training I have always been "apt to teach" all depending on the circles I'm in. It has never been something I have pursued as a title and I've never attempted to teach at the last few churches I've been in because  the pastor always seen himself as the main figurehead for all preaching and teaching of adults in those churches. I always thought that part was sad because I think God gifts more than only one teacher in some churches, yet I never pushed it and just sat and listened. The chances of teaching  at my present church probably fall into the "cold day in hell" category since we have a new pastor who leads both Sunday school and church. In addition that denomination seems to require a credentialed person for those tasks.

These days I am content to simply sit and learn at church. Lack of formal training is probably a good thing for me for a couple of reasons. For one, It would probably go to my head and I might begin to think I actually know something past my peers since I would be "formally" educated. Secondly if I had been formally trained at a younger age I would have been trained by the standards of that seminary which would have been probably all mixed up theologically. I would then have needed to "untrain" undoctrinate" from it to really get to the truth. 

If there's on thing I learned about teaching it's that I still have much to learn. With either teaching or preaching there is MUCH responsibility. Many teachers and preachers are "preaching to the choir" in that they always teach their theological line. Intelligent men who should know better do it knowing deep down there is no sure basis for what they are teaching as truth. They do it simply because most of  those churches will agree with it.

I am reminded of one saying- Be careful what you ask for.

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 4

22 minutes ago, Starise said:

seminary which would have been probably all mixed up theologically.

Yes. And where does it say we all have to pew-sit at the teat of some guy up front. Most check in their brains at the door so they can text during the zzz sermon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest clancy
6 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Yes. And where does it say we all have to pew-sit at the teat of some guy up front. Most check in their brains at the door so they can text during the zzz sermon.

Some used to text in my church, when our Pastor was preaching, I had to have a couple sit right in front of me, ( newly weds) couldn’t keep their hands off each other,???

1 minute ago, clancy said:

Some used to text in my church, when our Pastor was preaching, I had to have a couple sit right in front of me, ( newly weds) couldn’t keep their hands off each other,???

Ha. That is more interesting than most sermons - they should go get a room!! Pastors have a hard job and I would not take that position for any kind of money. They will have a lot to answer for and I think 'church' is done wrong anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest clancy
1 minute ago, Justin Adams said:

Ha. That is more interesting than most sermons - they should go get a room!! Pastors have a hard job and I would not take that position for any kind of money. They will have a lot to answer for and I think 'church' is done wrong anyway.

I very nearly told them to get a room,??

I must say, my Pastor must see people texting,He is so gentle and humble.

Edited by clancy

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,089
  • Content Per Day:  9.73
  • Days Won:  149

35 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Most sermons I hear stay in a certain periphery of any subject and this works well for that application because there is usually a set amount of time allotted for it. The goals can't be too steep. Also you're speaking to a wide range of people and you need to apply what your saying hopefully to their lives on a personal level all in 30/45 minutes.. No matter how good a preacher is, hearing the same man for months or years on end is bound to wear thin for some people. Sometimes we need a new perspective. That was me. I was in a rut really through no fault of the man led to preach but because everything started running together and began to all sound the same after awhile. It began to sound more like the *** **** show which centered and focused around one man who strictly preached his denominations line which I didn't entirely agree with.. Radio pastors and teachers helped somewhat. Eventually we just decided that we needed to go somewhere to grow better if for no other reason than we felt stagnate there. To be fair, there are minor teachings at my present church I don't agree with but I don't let it cause contention or strife in the body.

"IF" that church would have had more than one qualified minister I think I could have held on. "If" there had been more of a mentoring program in place. Yet there is still more nuance to this whole thing since pastors are so much more than simply men who speak weekly, they should be making a personal investment into their congregations which means they have a lot to juggle in some churches. Add to this some very good teachers are introverted and not well suited for outreach ministry while some who are socially gifted yet  are not well studied and/or good at the deeper spiritual things so far as presentation is concerned. There are smart men who know their bible but can't talk across a pulpit. Add to this the fact that they are all just as human as the next guy. This does not sound like a recipe for success, yet God uses men still and He leads them to lead churches.

In a sermon setting you either connect with me or you don't in the 1st few minutes. Sad to say that's how I am. I also like deeper thought. I mean, I've been in church my whole life and have heard all of the bible stories and most of their applications, so maybe some of this is just me getting older. There's always something to learn if I really listen or maybe something to be reminded of.

One thing I don't do is "check my brain at the door". I think we need to be careful...even in church.:)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have been called to teach.  There are many functions of a "teacher" within the body of believers, and the way the modern day mainstream church is set up, there is little room for much actual teaching and discipleship.  The notion of the "sermon" is not biblical: one man standing before a large crowd, effectively orating.  It is a Greco-Roman idea (where we get today's college lecture format from).  The pulpit or lectern is the same, although was used in pagan societies to give instructions to crowds.  Teaching in the scriptures, even by Yeshua, is direct instructions from the scriptures.  Yeshua's parables and sayings are contextually and idiomatically relevant to the Hebrews of the day, and require some study to benefit fully from our poor English translations.  

The scriptures exhort us to edify each other, so that eventually we might all teach:

A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.  Luke 6:40

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.  1Peter 3:15

Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 5:19

Shalom.

• Thumbs Up 1