Guest clancy

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  1

It appears some US churches are restrictive and have formal set ups very far from early Christian groups. And strictly defined roles. Not so much like extended spiritual family where teaching and nurturing of each other happens by many, in many ways and settings. Pastors and teachers sound more like old testament priests class seperate from the others in the church in the US.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Alive said:

Here are some verses that mention teaching and preaching.

Again--preaching is always in the context of proclaiming something publicly. To 'proclaim' to act as a 'herald'. It is an action and the one performing that action is at that moment a 'preacher'. What is proclaimed imparts knowledge. Teaching does the same thing.

Col. 1:25 (NAS95S) Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,

1Tim. 2:7 (NAS95S) For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle ( I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

1Tim. 5:17 (NAS95S)    The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.

1Tim. 6:2 (NAS95S) Those who have believers as their masters must not be disrespectful to them because they are brethren, but must serve them all the more, because those who partake of the benefit are believers and beloved. Teach and preach these principles.

2Tim. 1:11 (NAS95S) for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher.

2Tim. 4:2 (NAS95S) preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

Its understood that there are many bible translations and there is the Greek besides the point.

The translation you are quoting from "NAS95S" I am not familiar with.

Is this the only translation you are using?  

Is it the one close to you all the time?  

Are you suggesting that this is a reliable translation? 

I am asking this because I  have observed that often quotes from the Greek are seen in your posting.

Why not NIV? 

Does it say the same?  Greek? 

This NAS95S it seems to differed from other translations. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,335
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

Many believers still meet in homes.  There is the whole "house-church" movement.

Many would perceive the local fellowship the Lord sent me to many years ago in such a way. 

There wasn't an hierarchy which is to say no one claimed a title or office, and yet everyone knew by how the Lord used an individual what their purpose in His Body was. The man whom the Lord sent me to learn from was recognized as a teacher by all. Did I know about this coming in?

No, only that he was the man God approved of, who would teach me about Jesus Christ. I was astonished that my brothers and sisters were in agreement that the Lord called him to teach. I was astonished by many things while I remained in their company for four years. Everything was new to me. 

Did he attend a bible college or seminary? No, but his library was vast and the Lord, having given me a talent for reading, ensured I would have unfettered access to all of it. The Septuagint (LXX) translated into English... an interlinear bible...  a copy of Martyrs Mirror... and much more. In order to preserve these books (this was before most were published on the internet) our brother wouldn't loan them to anyone but he made an exception where I was concerned. I could sit in his library and read for as long as I wished or I could take something to my room and read it there. 

I would question our brother about what I read and he was patient to answer my questions to the best of his ability. If he didn't know he would look at me and exclaim, "Why, I have no idea! What do you think?" 

I was baptized in water shortly after my arrival. 

After my first year in the community (everyone lived close together on the same vast tract of land), a brother and sister who were known for the gift of prophecy became involved in my welfare. They were burdened for me to the point of tears and I was more than a little bewildered by this. During gatherings (we gathered together frequently) I would often find one or the other regarding me quietly.

They knew I was overwhelmed by all those people in one place. It was a struggle to remain in place and not run away! Everything was new to me back then. When Christ sent them my way He spoke to me through them; at the time I had no way of grasping the meaning of what they imparted and this pleased the Lord. Why?

Had I known as I do now, I might have made my way to the mountains to the east and cast myself off the highest peak. No wonder our brother and sister wept for me at times. 

Therefore I know that our God does as He pleases, calling some to be teachers and others as shepherds of His sheep. Lately His Spirit has convicted me, bringing to my awareness that there are times when He uses me as a teacher and preacher though I know it not. Ah, but isn't that when He uses us in a powerful way? When we aren't aware because we're doing what He purposed for us to do. 

Some struggle with this like I did for the longest time. Nope, there's no way that I'm a teacher or a preacher for that matter. But then again, what is it that I find myself doing which is pleasing to the Lord?

Testifying of His grace, mercy, love, and power in this world. Serving my neighbor right where I am. Encouraging others and praising the Lord daily. :)      

Edited by Marathoner
typo
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.47
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

1 hour ago, Your closest friendnt said:

Its understood that there are many bible translations and there is the Greek besides the point.

The translation you are quoting from "NAS95S" I am not familiar with.

Is this the only translation you are using?  

Is it the one close to you all the time?  

Are you suggesting that this is a reliable translation? 

I am asking this because I  have observed that often quotes from the Greek are seen in your posting.

Why not NIV? 

Does it say the same?  Greek? 

This NAS95S it seems to differed from other translations. 

I consult a great many translations. The NAS has been my paper bible for many years now. Its a very good translation.

__________________from the publishing folks

The NASB does not attempt to interpret Scripture through translation. Instead, the NASB adheres to the principles of a formal equivalence translation. This is the most exacting and demanding method of translation, striving for the most readable word-for-word translation that is both accurate and clear. This method more closely follows the word and sentence patterns of the biblical authors in order to enable the reader to study Scripture in its most literal format and to experience the individual personalities of those who penned the original manuscripts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,335
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

2 hours ago, Alive said:

I consult a great many translations. The NAS has been my paper bible for many years now. Its a very good translation.

__________________from the publishing folks

The NASB does not attempt to interpret Scripture through translation. Instead, the NASB adheres to the principles of a formal equivalence translation. This is the most exacting and demanding method of translation, striving for the most readable word-for-word translation that is both accurate and clear. This method more closely follows the word and sentence patterns of the biblical authors in order to enable the reader to study Scripture in its most literal format and to experience the individual personalities of those who penned the original manuscripts. 

A brother (whom I mentioned above) recommended the NASB and I read it as well. No, it's not the only translation I refer to but it's certainly an excellent one. :) 

6 hours ago, Alive said:

Here are some verses that mention teaching and preaching.

Again--preaching is always in the context of proclaiming something publicly. To 'proclaim' to act as a 'herald'. It is an action and the one performing that action is at that moment a 'preacher'. What is proclaimed imparts knowledge. Teaching does the same thing.

Col. 1:25 (NAS95S) Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,

Colosians 1:25

**King James Bible
Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

**New King James Version
of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God,

**King James 2000 Bible
Of which I am made a minister, according to the commission of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God;

**New Heart English Bible
of which I was made a servant, according to the stewardship of God which was given me toward you, to fulfill the word of God. 

Paul an Apostle of Jesus Christ he was a minister of the word of God.

The Lord put him in charge, he was the personal minister of Jesus Christ like Moses was in OT. 

Jesus made him a steward he did not served anyone's else interest and he was not building an empire.  

If had projected himself that he was organizing people as in groups in different cities the Romans would have killed him on the spot.

***This is the context the people did not have bibles or religious literatures the way we have today.

Even the Jewish believers, they kept their Holy books in their Synagogues, they learn the scriptures by heart. 

Paul did not prepared Sermons, doing research on others work and deciding whom to follow. 

And then chery picking a little hear and a little there. 

Making a stitch on a Garment to hold it together. 

As we see with Philip they read the scriptures and then they discuss it. 

There were no Sermons at that time. 

When they read a part of the bible in the Jewish tradition the Rabbi will analyze the text and reason it out.

And he will tell the people that there is a number of different thoughts on the same passage and will give the reasons why he prefers this explanation over the other, just like when a judge gives his reasons for his judgment.  With clarity knowing that he will be examined by others. 

That's why a lot of the Judges and Layers in matters mostly of the Civil Law are Jewish and by tradition throughout their generations.  

***Just to know, because they speak about Paul and referred to him and Peter it does not mean that they represent their understanding.  

***RCC uses the name of Peter but Peter did not taught everything they teach only some of it. But not all. This is obvious.

I hope that they do everything they do with faith in Jesus Christ. 

We must know Paul did not make sermons and he loved to be opposed, in that way he had the chance to reason out and expand from the scriptures and the Psalms.  

We need to exercise discretion. Just to be careful, people love Jesus and will die for him, but that does not mean they are perfect in understanding. 

1Tim. 2:7 (NAS95S) For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle ( I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

1Tim. 5:17 (NAS95S)    The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.

1Tim. 6:2 (NAS95S) Those who have believers as their masters must not be disrespectful to them because they are brethren, but must serve them all the more, because those who partake of the benefit are believers and beloved. Teach and preach these principles.

2Tim. 1:11 (NAS95S) for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher.

2Tim. 4:2 (NAS95S) preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

Edited by Your closest friendnt

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, leah777 said:

It appears some US churches are restrictive and have formal set ups very far from early Christian groups. And strictly defined roles. Not so much like extended spiritual family where teaching and nurturing of each other happens by many, in many ways and settings. Pastors and teachers sound more like old testament priests class seperate from the others in the church in the US.

It is very much New Testament

Ephesians 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the [e]edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;

And yes while we can all teach and share with each other, the "office of a teacher" (of which I am not) is to expoind upon the scripture, line upon line, precept upon precept. These leaders were given us to help and prepare us to DO the work of the ministry.  We are the foot soldiers, they are the sergeants, and Jesus is the Captain. They hold no special honor, just a special calling.

29 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:

It is very much New Testament

Ephesians 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the [e]edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;

And yes while we can all teach and share with each other, the "office of a teacher" (of which I am not) is to expoind upon the scripture, line upon line, precept upon precept. These leaders were given us to help and prepare us to DO the work of the ministry.  We are the foot soldiers, they are the sergeants, and Jesus is the Captain. They hold no special honor, just a special calling.

And how do we know who is and who is not? 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

11 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

And how do we know who is and who is not? 

I am not sure it really matters, but if they are called, their gift will "make room" for itself.  Those who God calls, He equips.  A Teacher will rarely tell you what he thinks, or his opinion. or be overly emotional, those things fall into the realm of preaching (sometimes)

A teacher will tell you what the word says in an ordered logical way

31 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:

I am not sure it really matters, but if they are called, their gift will "make room" for itself.  Those who God calls, He equips.  A Teacher will rarely tell you what he thinks, or his opinion. or be overly emotional, those things fall into the realm of preaching (sometimes)

A teacher will tell you what the word says in an ordered logical way

I say nothing against what we read in the scriptures about the gifts of the Holy Spirit, I have never even thought to say something not to complement the gifts that they are from the Lord.

I understand also something else and I do not need to say much to prove anything. 

We know that they are counterfeit spirits and counterfeit gifts. 

I have personal experiences.

The people loved Jesus Christ a lot and they are in the ministry you cannot tell but they is something that's not right about them and I do not say that they are not in Jesus Christ but they are under some influence "Spiritual influence" (that's what I meant by counterfeit), I should have said "religious guiding spirits".

I have live it my self. Look at some of the seven churches. 

I do not take it too far but you have to be free from one ( the religious spirit of the frog) then you know what was on you. Oppression. 

Religious, church attending non stop, all events, giving your time, participating in all the programs-no break-neglet your family. The church family comes first. You have lost your will and the power to make independent decisions and do not know it.

Thinking is the Holy Spirit and that one is chosen and very special. Grandiose. 

Edited by Your closest friendnt