21 day partial fast for non believing husband

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  464
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

As many of you know, my husband is a non believer. When I got saved 2 years ago, he was horrified. He didnt believe in any kind of spiritual dimension at all: he wasnt even 'agnostic'-just a non believer through and through. He wanted me to see a psychologist and thought I had lost my mind for the simple reason that I believed the Gospel and changed my life. He has since mellowed but in a kind of 'you do you' sort of way. He wants no part in my faith, and conversations on faith have to be carefully worded and often come to an abrupt end.

I have been doing a 21 day partial fast for him. I know that fasting is not a way to control God or manipulate an outcome, but I do know its Biblical to fast when prayer alone is yielding limited results.

I get up early, have coffee and dont consume anything except water until 5pm, at which point I eat normally. I pray as much as I can, mostly about and for my husband. 

Today was the last day and I had to break it a few hours early as my husband made lunch and I didnt know how to get out of it without lying. He didnt know about the fast as we have both been so busy with work the past few weeks, eating at separate times etc.

Anyway, it's done! I did the 21 days and really enjoyed it! I wanted to share this with you all ad I have few believer friends to discuss these things with.

What kind of results have you seen, either in others or in yourself after a fast? How has it changed your walk/persepctive/life? What has been your general experience? Have you felt any pushback from the enemy? How do you view fasting's impact on the spiritual dimension?

I am just interested to hear everyone's view and experience. Thanks so much!

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,894
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I have never fasted so I'm afraid I can't participate here. However, the first paragraph reminded me so much of Lee Strobel's testimony that I had to mention it. His book, the Case for Christ, might be something that could move your husband a bit. They even made it into a legitimate drama film (not a documentary) recently and it's quite well-made. J. Warner Wallace might also resonate with your husband, they sound similar.

33 minutes ago, BK1110 said:

I have never fasted so I'm afraid I can't participate here. However, the first paragraph reminded me so much of Lee Strobel's testimony that I had to mention it. His book, the Case for Christ, might be something that could move your husband a bit. They even made it into a legitimate drama film (not a documentary) recently and it's quite well-made. J. Warner Wallace might also resonate with your husband, they sound similar.

Thank you! I told my husband about Lee Strobel and my husband said 'he sounds unstable' and I gave him a copy of 'A Case for a Creator' which he flicked through disinterestedly and put back on the shelf, never to be touched again ?

I will check the other person out, thank you!

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I did a lot of on and off fasting of a sort over the course of a year when I was stuck in a really abusive situation. I got an unexpected escape from that eventually. Life is a lot better now. I totally share your belief that it doesn't manipulate God or even really "earn" the outcome but it really did turn my mind more toward God. Doing something long term to please God really helps keep your mind on Him.

12 minutes ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I did a lot of on and off fasting of a sort over the course of a year when I was stuck in a really abusive situation. I got an unexpected escape from that eventually. Life is a lot better now. I totally share your belief that it doesn't manipulate God or even really "earn" the outcome but it really did turn my mind more toward God. Doing something long term to please God really helps keep your mind on Him.

Praise God that you got out of that situation! 

And yes, it definitely focused me on God for sure. God has pretty much been my only consuming thought outside my main responsibilities to my family and at times it has been intense, like I couldn't switch off from Him.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 4/3/2021 at 9:28 AM, Thewhitedove said:

As many of you know, my husband is a non believer. When I got saved 2 years ago, he was horrified. He didnt believe in any kind of spiritual dimension at all: he wasnt even 'agnostic'-just a non believer through and through. He wanted me to see a psychologist and thought I had lost my mind for the simple reason that I believed the Gospel and changed my life. He has since mellowed but in a kind of 'you do you' sort of way. He wants no part in my faith, and conversations on faith have to be carefully worded and often come to an abrupt end.

I have been doing a 21 day partial fast for him. I know that fasting is not a way to control God or manipulate an outcome, but I do know its Biblical to fast when prayer alone is yielding limited results.

I get up early, have coffee and dont consume anything except water until 5pm, at which point I eat normally. I pray as much as I can, mostly about and for my husband. 

Today was the last day and I had to break it a few hours early as my husband made lunch and I didnt know how to get out of it without lying. He didnt know about the fast as we have both been so busy with work the past few weeks, eating at separate times etc.

Anyway, it's done! I did the 21 days and really enjoyed it! I wanted to share this with you all ad I have few believer friends to discuss these things with.

What kind of results have you seen, either in others or in yourself after a fast? How has it changed your walk/persepctive/life? What has been your general experience? Have you felt any pushback from the enemy? How do you view fasting's impact on the spiritual dimension?

I am just interested to hear everyone's view and experience. Thanks so much!

God is touched by such sincere denial of self (humility in its most basic form). And I have no doubt God will honor your faith and your commitment by sending more than the usual events and people into your husband's pathway to encourage him to change and believe the truth.

But the choice is his.

I have heard of cases (usually mothers of wayward children) who never gave up even though it took many years... to have their prayers answered that their beloved one(s)  came to believe Christ.

Be encouraged. Keep the faith. Keep the hope.

There is a wonderful prayer team here (who I have sought intercession from often). God hears their prayers. I suggest you request their prayers.