BCPaolo

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, it's based upon the Roman festival of Saturnalia, if I remember correctly. But, that is not what I am celebrating on Dec 25. I find no problem celebrating our Lord on Dec 25, as with all other days.

Christmas is actually a great excuse to share Christ with people.

I understand people's persuasion not to celebrate it due to the origins of the day, but I personally do not attribute any of that stuff to it so it causes me no bother.

The same holds true for Easter.

Guest shiloh357

What would we do without Christmas? It is the one time of the year when the world, for better or worse, acknowledges that God did something for man. I think we need to cash in on that.

Besides, it is the best time to enjoy my special recipe, ultra rich, "Cinnamon Hot Chocolate" which some in my family have dubbed "diabetes in a cup." :)

Okay,  so no one knows the exact date when Jesus was born.  But if it was of vital importance to God for us to know,  dont you suppose He would have made sure we had the precise day, date, and time?  The passover is always observed on a predictable date (yes, it varies from year to year,  according to something to do with a full moon),  and the feast of purim,  and the festival of lights and the feast of the tabernacles... all have appointed times.  So,  the date that is universally celebrated as Christ's birth is probably not when he was born.  So what?  The good news is that more people go to church,  and more people hear about Jesus then than at any other time of the year.  We should rejoice in that,  and stop trying to quench the Spirit.  Yes, Satan has perverted the 'spirit of Christmas' into the worship of things,  but one thing he cannot change is The Reason for the season.  And that's all I have to say about it.  :brightidea:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to make a slight correction here, Passover and Sukkot ( Feast of Tabernacles ) ARE Moedim, which means they are appointed times, of the L-rD to come before him. However, Purim is a celebration and rememberance of what G-d did through prayer and fasting in saving his people from the old Irainians and it is celebrated through man made observation each year on the 14th of Adar, the twelveth month. Hanukah ( feast of lights) celebrates the taking back and cleansing of the temple of idols and pigs blood in the tenth month ( 25th day) of Kislev. These two are NOT Moedim, appointed times, but man-made traditional celebrations of provedence.

So,  the date that is universally celebrated as Christ's birth is probably not when he was born.  So what?
Because as you just said there are appointed times, Yeshua was born at and died on a specific, appointed time. There is a time for every purpose under heaven. One should not be substituted for another.

Who is man that he should decide when the word was made flesh, and should lead the whole world into believing that?

If you pick a day of your choosing and say he doesn't care you nullify and make void the authority of G-d , who created the world and everything in it, who created time and choose when things shoud happen and the creator which has dominion over his creation.

This was the same lie told Eve in the garden, you can be like G-d. You don't have to listen to what he says, don't chose the tree of life, instead chose what you like what you want , and "ye shall be as gods".

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

Christmas isn't a big deal to me. It's just another cold day in december. Knowing which day Christ was born isn't important, what's important is knowing why.

Maybe christmas was different in times past, but today, in my opinion, it is a pagan holiday. I don't see it as being overly evil, I just don't feel it's right.

Take the christmas tree for instance....We take an axe or saw and basically kill one of God's creations. Then we drag it home and try to make it more beautiful then it already was. Then we bring our gifts to be placed under this tree that we just killed. Then we stand back and marvel at it's beauty. Sounds pretty paganish to me.

This is going to sound stupid but I don't have a problem with fake trees. Maybe I'm a tree hugger, I don't know.

I don't think about God anymore on december 25th then I do on june 1st or sept. 8th or any other day of the year. It's just another day.

This may make me sound like a hypocrite but I do buy gifts for the little ones.

I don't know...that's just my take on christmas.

Ho Ho Ho.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Nobody knows the date Christ was born, but a celebration in his name, for his birth, is a beautiful thing to do. The Lamb is worthy of celebration. I dont mind if he was not born on that date, to me it is the one time of the year i can openly celebrate his birth and it is a time that makes it easier to share the Gospel with others. "what are you doing for Christmas?" "really? are you going to church?" "oh you dont believe in God? Why do you celebrate his birth then? Do you know about Jesus?" and there you go. Its not only a time of thanks and rememberance of what his birth meant (no matter the real date) its a time to share his story publicly to the unsaved. Although we should always do this, Christmas time makes it easier. So bring on the tinsel, nativity scenes, songs of the Lords birth like 'away in a manger', get the roast and turkey and get my family together in love and unity remembering the Lord's birth and lets celebrate the warm, symbolic time of Christmas! :):):):):):)

• Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/10/1978

I was just reading the "Christmas shortened to Xmas" thread and noticed quite a few of you don't celebrate Christmas. Why is this? I also read about it originally being a Pagan holiday, which I am hopelessly uninformed about  :)  can someone fill me in here?

Thanks!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my family does celebrate CHRISTmas not Xmas...we do not have Santa (have you noticed that if you jumble SANTA you get SATAN???) i believe that Santa is a ploy of the devil to take the focus off Jesus!!!

JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!!!

We call Santa Claus - Satan Claus...because it is Satan's objective to get peoples focus of God and onto Greed, Lust, Envy, Selfishness, and much much more!

God's only reason of focus is on the Gift He gave that all would be saved!!!

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  722
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I celebrate Christmas...although I don't put up a tree...the day is only a day...but I can't force myself to put up that tree that I know has pagan roots. That's just me though. Can't wait for Christmas.

God bless.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I don't celebrate Christmas because of the pagan associations. I think it's proper to keep ourselves as far away as possible from anything that is associated to idolotry, not to try to use it to suit our purposes. I just don't think God would be pleased to have His and His Son's name associated with practices that are an abomination. Same goes with Easter.

Here's an interesting passage...

Jer. 10:

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Sounds sort of like a Christmas tree to me :laugh: All prettied up, bowed down to when presents are put underneath, and made the centerpiece of the living room.

Also, Santa Claus was named after "bishop Nicholas"... From what I've heard he was the guy who punched Arius at the council of Nicea.

Anyways, I think we ought to remember the life, death, and resurrection of our saviour as a whole, and regularily. No need for a day to be set aside, particularily not a day that started as paganistic, and is now primarily materialistic.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Christmas is so warm and giving.  Spending time with the family and exchanging gifts, eating good food, singing Christmas Carols, going to Church Service.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to this!!!

I know a family who are stronly against Christmas.

But, what really matters if Jesus was not born in December?

So what?

All we are doing,is celebrating His Birth!

We are celebrating His WONDERFUL Entry into Earth, our sin-filled land, to die for us!!!

Just because the dates may not be exact, does not mean we ought not celebrate it.

It does bring families togther, and then we have a LOVELY time.

Together, Christian families can enjoy celebrating Jesus's Birth, and enjoy family time together.

And non-believers can enjoy precious family time together too. :laugh: