IGNORED

What is speaking in tongues and prophesying?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

8 minutes ago, Waggles said:

It is sad when those who are not pentecostal make declarations about the truth and work of the Holy Spirit.

Speaking in tongues is still for today and is considered by pentecostal Christians as the Bible evidence of baptism of the Holy Spirit as described amply in Acts and elsewhere. 

In the church when pentecostal Christians come together for a worship service (and they are Bible disciplined) then in compliance with 1Corinthians 14 the voice gifts of the Holy Spirit are operated in one part of the meeting - tongues, interpretation and prophecy. All done decently and in order. 

Paul said not to do it in church if no one is there to interpret.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

aul said not to do it in church if no one is there to interpret.

The three gifts go together - tongues and interpretation and prophecy

so that is what we do.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,387
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

9 minutes ago, Waggles said:

Then your knowledge (opinion) is wrong. 

For the voice gifts of the Holy Spirit given for use when the church comes together for a worship service are threefold - kinds of tongues, followed by interpretation of each gift of tongues. This then is followed by up to three gifts of prophecy (inspired speaking).

All this is done in accordance with 1Corinthians 14 as laid out by Paul the apostle for us to obey and follow. 

In these gifts God himself often speaks about the power and purpose of the spiritual language given to the saints.

It is easily understood the importance of tongues:
1 Cor 14:19

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue
KJV

As this 'IS' Spirit- as setting forth the oracles of God... one only need to see where the tongues thing has progressed within churches to see what spirit it is of...

AS the number one instance of communication has come down from God >called the Scripture< and it is fully one hundred percent bent toward mankind's understanding as to their need of God and what God has done to enable them to come back to Him... so much so this is written
2 Tim 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

it is without doubt God's Word is 'The' complete necessary for wisdom unto salvation and life long growth to do all good works unto perfection... present day tongues draws one back into the sensory bodily elements of it feels good so it must be of God... the only thing to question then-> why would God build up that which He is NOT keeping? No the direction of present day tongues does not fit the Spiritual directives of God's Word and the fruit that we see from tongues is body sensual~ in so much so-that the feeling outweighs toward reality more than just that of The Scripture alone... How many have heard- you must experience it to know it is of God thus sensual fulfillment out weighs all else and this places the person and their feeling forefront to that of Scripture itself and the understanding thereof!  

6 minutes ago, Waggles said:

The three gifts go together - tongues and interpretation and prophecy

so that is what we do.

Paul tells us not to speak in tongues in church unless someone is there to interpret. How do you defend disobeying Paul?

5 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Paul tells us not to speak in tongues in church unless someone is there to interpret. How do you defend disobeying Paul?

What are you writing ?? You do not make sense.

I told you that we operate the gift of interpretation - someone does indeed interpret after the gift of tongues. 

9 minutes ago, Waggles said:

What are you writing ?? You do not make sense.

I told you that we operate the gift of interpretation - someone does indeed interpret after the gift of tongues. 

That is good to hear.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

It does make more sense that the gift of tongues would be primarily for the purpose of evangelism to those of another language. Maybe it is an evidence of baptism of the Holy Spirit but that to me seems more like a one time event. After that what would really be the purpose even if someone is interpreting it? Unless prophesying and tongues are actually one in the same, but if God gives you a word of knowledge to speak then why not just do so in your own language?

Also praying in tongues would even be more pointless, other than just not wanting Satan to hear what you are praying about which is kind of silly to be honest. I mean if it is God's will for you then it is going to come to pass and nothing Satan can do about it, and i really don't think he takes that much notice of what we are up to in the first place. And i personally have never really gotten anything from praying in tongues, anymore than i would just praying normally.

Guest kingdombrat
1 hour ago, CaptWalker said:

It does make more sense that the gift of tongues would be primarily for the purpose of evangelism to those of another language. Maybe it is an evidence of baptism of the Holy Spirit but that to me seems more like a one time event. After that what would really be the purpose even if someone is interpreting it? Unless prophesying and tongues are actually one in the same, but if God gives you a word of knowledge to speak then why not just do so in your own language?

Also praying in tongues would even be more pointless, other than just not wanting Satan to hear what you are praying about which is kind of silly to be honest. I mean if it is God's will for you then it is going to come to pass and nothing Satan can do about it, and i really don't think he takes that much notice of what we are up to in the first place. And i personally have never really gotten anything from praying in tongues, anymore than i would just praying normally.

What makes you think that Satan does not recognize Tongues when it's working through the Holy Spirit?

Paul said Speaking in Tongues [edifies] Believers in God, not just the one Speaking in Tongues.   If Tongues edifies Believers, then Tongues is Prayer Warrior Language against Evil.   When done properly, Satan is the first to understand what is happening.   Satan is attempting to thwart the Movement by the Holy Spirit and Tongues is battling that Movement by Edifying the Believers.   Satan is not confused at the Moment, He is being DEFEATED!   He very well knows and understands Speaking in Tongues better than anyone of us.

3 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

And i personally have never really gotten anything from praying in tongues, anymore than i would just praying normally.

You are definitely doing something very wrong here. Praying in the Holy Spirit is powerful and builds up one's faith. For when I pray in tongues my mind and self will are negated, and it is the Spirit of God that intercedes for me to Jesus and my Father.

Praying in tongues delivers many blessings, healings and miracles. Recently I visited a brother and sister in the Lord for a coffee and chat. Rita told me how her eyesight had gone very bad suddenly and everything was very blurry. She had Macular degeneration and would need a new prescription for spectacles. I prayed for her in tongues (a few times) about her eyesight and some other health issues. Last Sunday she gave a short testimony on how her eyes had been healed from MD and that the new glasses were no longer appropriate for her eyesight.

19 It is these who set up divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. 20 But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit; 21 keep yourselves in the love of God; wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. - Jude 1:

Edited by Waggles

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,387
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

4 hours ago, Waggles said:

Praying in the Holy Spirit is powerful and builds up one's faith.

I'm going with God on this point
Rom 10:17

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
KJV
No where does God say praying in tongues will increase your faith...