IGNORED

What is speaking in tongues and prophesying?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  440
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

I was just wondering how many people here have actually spoken in tongues AND prophesied according to Acts 19:6 and 1st Corinthians 14:1-5, and what it meant to you and how important it is for the average Christian to have this experience and what is called the "baptism of the Holy Spirit"? Because from what i hear some preachers saying is that it is almost critical that you have this experience and not just one time, but in learning how to pray in tongues on a regular basis. So basically i was just curious how Biblical this is for us today and if it's something that we should pray to have and experience or if it was just something for the early Christian believers?   

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

2 minutes ago, CaptWalker said:

just something for the early Christian believers

It is not just for the early church. If you are fortunate enough to be in an assembly that practices these gifts, then that is very good. Hopefully they will also practice the other gifts as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

I was just wondering how many people here have actually spoken in tongues AND prophesied according to Acts 19:6 and 1st Corinthians 14:1-5, and what it meant to you and how important it is for the average Christian to have this experience and what is called the "baptism of the Holy Spirit"? Because from what i hear some preachers saying is that it is almost critical that you have this experience and not just one time, but in learning how to pray in tongues on a regular basis. So basically i was just curious how Biblical this is for us today and if it's something that we should pray to have and experience or if it was just something for the early Christian believers?   

I have not spoken in tongues and prophesied. I do not support speaking in tongues and prophesying for our world today. Perhaps they did it in the times of Jesus Christ. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

I have not spoken in tongues and prophesied. I do not support speaking in tongues and prophesying for our world today. Perhaps they did it in the times of Jesus Christ. 

And why do you not believe it?

I know 1 Corintians 13 says they will fail when that which is perfect is come. 

1 cor 13:

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is [d]perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

But I do not believe it is referring to the bible, (as I have heard from cessationists) because the scripture goes on to say that when that happens we will know God just as we are known, and I am just not there yet

Jesus can't be what's perfect (in this context)for he had already come (although I believe it is referring to His return)

The Holy Spirit can't be what is perfect (In this context), because he had already come. and was using people to prophecy and speak tongues

And after saying all that Paul went on to instruct us on the correct way to speak in tongues and prophesy. Why would God include a whole chapter in the finished bible on the proper etiquette of Tongues and Interpretation, if it was going away with the arrival of the finished bible?

Edited by Riverwalker

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

There are two types of tongues, one is prayer in the Holy Spirit which edifies us

And there is tongues and interpretation which edifies the church

1 Cor 14: 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 

Why God included both prophecy and tongues and interpretations if they are the same thing doesn't make sense to me unless they have differing operations and purposes. But what those are, I am not sure. The only clue I have is in my experience, that when someone stands up in faith and gives a tongue, and SOMEONE else stands up and interprets it...it seems to give it more gravitas in a church setting.  Prophesy to me is more one and one. More personal

I have experienced both and as with all things "Charismatic" I have experienced them done wrong, in the flesh and not of God

Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

You will receive many varied answers especially from those who do not have the Holy Spirit according to Pentecostal faith and cannot pray in tongues. 

Fortunately for you there are Bible obedient Pentecostal churches who preach and live by the book - 

In the gospels and in the book of Acts we are taught the truth that baptism of the Holy Spirit is accompanied by the Bible evidence of speaking (praying) in a new tongue. Jesus himself promised this.

Mar 16:14  And afterward he was manifested to the eleven themselves as they sat at meat; and he rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them that had seen him risen from the dead. 
16:15  And he said to them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation. 
16:16  Who hath believed and is baptized shall be saved; but who hath disbelieved shall be condemned. 
16:17  And these signs shall follow them that have believed: in my name shall they cast out demons, speak with tongues; 
16:18  and in their hands they shall take up serpents, and if they drink aught deadly, it shall in now wise hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. 
16:19  So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. 
16:20  And THEY went forth, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word by the signs that followed. 

Act 10:44  While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all that heard the word. 
10:45  And they of the circumcision that believed were amazed, who came with Peter, because that on the nations also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit. 
10:46  For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 
10:47  Can anyone forbid the water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we? 

Acts 8 teaches us that people can believe the gospel and even be baptised in water, but not have received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8:14  Now when the apostles, those at Jerusalem, heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 
8:15  who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they receive the Holy Spirit: 
8:16  for as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they had been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 

This then raises the very important question as to how did the apostles know that the Samaritans had NOT received the Holy Spirit? And in praying for them to receive the indwelling Holy Spirit, how do the apostles know that a person has indeed received the Holy Spirit?? This takes us straight over to Acts 19:

Acts 19:1  And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper regions came to Ephesus, and found certain disciples: 
19:2  and he said unto them, Whether ye received the Holy Spirit when ye believed? And they said unto him, Nay, we did not so much as hear whether there is a Holy Spirit. 
19:3  And he said, Into what then were ye baptized? And they said, Into the baptism of John. 
19:4  And Paul said, John baptized a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe unto him that should come after him, that is, unto Jesus. 
19:5  And when they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 
19:6  And when Paul had laid hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 
19:7  And they were in all about twelve men. [note the 12 a spiritually significant number]

Why tongues? Why this amazing spiritual prayer language that circumvents are mind and will? 

1Cor 14:2  For who speaketh in a tongue speaketh not to men, but to God; for no one heareth; but in spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Yes pray daily in tongues and enjoy the miracles, the healings, the blessings and the fellowship of other saints.

• Thumbs Up 3

1609749331_Jesusbaptism.PNG.68c086204fad06bd8a242ba8063ee0cc.PNG

Edited by Waggles

8 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

At our Pentecostal service a person will speak in an unknown tongue and this is followed by an 'interpretation' - this is to confirm principally to unbelievers that tongues is from God and has a spiritual purpose. We do this according to scripture up to three times. Then we have people who will give the gift of Prophecy by the Holy Spirit, again no more than three times. All done decently and in order according to the word of God. 

1Cor 12:27  Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 
28  And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 
29  Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 
30  Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 

This section of 1Corinthians 12 is often titled "One body with many members" and it explains somewhat the distribution and use of the nine gifts from the Holy Spirit to the Spirit-filled church. 

People do not get all nine gifts. I have never operated the voice gifts in a church meeting or service, but I am able to pray in tongues. Others operate prophecy or kinds of tongues, but that is not given to everybody. 

Let us look at the other gifts of the Holy Spirit - 

1Cor 12:7  To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 

8  For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 
9  to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 
10  to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 
11  All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

1Cor 14:26  What is it then, brethren? When ye come together, each hath a psalm, hath a teaching, hath a revelation, hath a tongue, hath an interpretation. Let all things be unto edifying. 
14:27  If any speaketh in a tongue, let it be by two, or at the most three, and in turn; and let one interpret: 
14:28  but if there be no interpreter, let him be silent in church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 
14:29  And let prophets speak by two or three, and let the others discern. 

And this we do today, now in 2021.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.06

7 hours ago, missmuffet said:

• Thumbs Up 1