IGNORED

2 Corinthians 6:17 Where does this scripture originate?

Whyme

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  10

Question: is Paul quoting something from the OT or is he prophesying? In other words, where does this saying originate, does it originate from an OT scripture or from Paul himself?

2 Corinthians 6:17 Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,” says the Lord.
“And do not touch what is unclean;
And I will welcome you.

Edited by Whyme

3 minutes ago, electlady said:

Hi, Whyme.  When it says, "He saith" or “says the Lord,” it means that it is written in the Scripture. 

Thats the impression i had, but where is it found in scripture?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

2Co_7:1; Num_16:21, Num_16:26, Num_16:45; Ezr_6:21, Ezr_10:11; Psa_1:1-3; Pro_9:6; Isa_52:11; Jer_51:6; Act_2:40; Rev_18:4

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, PeterR said:

2Co_7:1; Num_16:21, Num_16:26, Num_16:45; Ezr_6:21, Ezr_10:11; Psa_1:1-3; Pro_9:6; Isa_52:11; Jer_51:6; Act_2:40; Rev_18:4

Ok thanks, ill check those verses out later when i get time.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 hours ago, Whyme said:

Question: is Paul quoting something from the OT or is he prophesying? In other words, where does this saying originate, does it originate from an OT scripture or from Paul himself?

2 Corinthians 6:17 Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,” says the Lord.
“And do not touch what is unclean;
And I will welcome you.

My Bible (RSV) connects it to Isaiah 52:11.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, PeterR said:

`Paul is talking about coming out of the world and being separate. Do you think there is an OT prophesy that specifically foretells what Paul is saying?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,029
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

27 minutes ago, Whyme said:

`Paul is talking about coming out of the world and being separate. Do you think there is an OT prophesy that specifically foretells what Paul is saying?

This what my e-Sword Bible app looks like:

image.png.e997003f67f7c5a2c6e4684ea4fa20cb.png

You can download this app for free and chose to add some free Bible versions, commentaries, and dictionaries. I had to pay to add Vine's Expository Dictionary of the NT because it is still under copyright.

Here's the link: e-Sword Bible App Download

@Whyme It's not so much that the OT foretells what NT writers repeat, but rather that the whole of Scripture consists of themes and threads that harmonise so that principles and doctrines applying to God's People in the OT continue to apply to God's People in the NT. The passage in your question contains a quote from Isaiah because Paul was prompted by the Holy Spirit to include it.

In the OT context Isaiah is speaking to the captives in geopolitical Babylon who were becoming comfortable amongst their heathen captors and becoming attached to their false religions and idols.

In the NT the context is spiritual Babylon, the world, that God's People are not to become tainted by and captive to.

The Lord's Coming Salvation

Isa 52:1  Awake, awake; put on your strength, O Zion; put on your beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into you the uncircumcised and the unclean. 
Isa 52:2  Shake yourself from the dust; arise, and sit down, O Jerusalem: loose yourself from the bands of your neck, O captive daughter of Zion. 
Isa 52:3  For thus says the LORD, You have sold yourselves for nought; and you shall be redeemed without money. 
Isa 52:4  For thus says the Lord GOD, My people went down aforetime into Egypt to sojourn there; and the Assyrian oppressed them without cause. 
Isa 52:5  Now therefore, what have I here, says the LORD, that my people is taken away for nought? they that rule over them make them to howl, says the LORD; and my name continually every day is blasphemed. 
Isa 52:6  Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I. 
Isa 52:7  How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that brings good tidings, that publishes peace; that brings good tidings of good, that publishes salvation; that says unto Zion, Your God reigns! 
Isa 52:8  Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the LORD shall bring again Zion. 
Isa 52:9  Break forth into joy, sing together, you waste places of Jerusalem: for the LORD has comforted his people, he has redeemed Jerusalem. 
Isa 52:10  The LORD has made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God. 
Isa 52:11  Depart you, depart you, go you out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go you out of the midst of her; be you clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD. 
Isa 52:12  For you shall not go out with haste, nor go by flight: for the LORD will go before you; and the God of Israel will be your rereward. 

He Was Pierced for Our Transgressions

Isa 52:13  Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high. 
Isa 52:14  As many were astonished at you; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men: 
Isa 52:15  So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 5/2/2021 at 4:39 PM, Whyme said:

This originated from the Creator who imparted wisdom to Paul, so that he could clarify what was teaching in the New Testament.

Edited by Leonardo Von