• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, one.opinion said:

According to the best effort by the CDC, the number of COVID-related deaths in the US is over 580,000 and the number of vaccine-related deaths is 1. There could be some issues with the numbers here and there, but a ratio of 585,000:1 is rather one-sided.

Ok. You do you. I'll take a grain of salt. Have a blessed week.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.09
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, Ozarkbound said:

Ok. You do you. I'll take a grain of salt. Have a blessed week.

You too, God bless!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,029
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  3

17 hours ago, one.opinion said:

The CDC tried to make it clear that this update was for vaccinated people. The vaccines are working even better than scientists expected. Virtually everyone that has a COVID infection requiring hospitalization is unvaccinated. Please look at the whole context of the statement and not pretend that important caveat didn’t exist, as the article author tried to imply.

For me, this thread is not about the effectiveness of the vaccine. It's about masks.

The key point is that they say this is for vaccinated only, but the way it plays out in the real world is that it's for everybody. That's why they held off as long as they did. They knew that once they said vaccinated people didn't need to wear masks, they were really saying that it would be impossible to enforce any mask requirement at all. And there are many subtopics on this that are covered in the article. 

Masks are no longer required. And thanks to HIPAA, if you ask someone if they are vaccinated, their refusal to answer is protected by law. 

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

HAHAHAHA! And now this:

Time to Plan Mask-Burning Parties

An excerpt:

Masks, it seems, have become a type of “security blanket” for many, reporter Karin Brulliard claims in a recent Washington Post article. She explains how David Díaz, a vaccinated 29-year-old, struggles to go for a run outside without a mask, worried not so much about the virus anymore, but rather what others will think of him.

“At what point are you doing more harm than good and letting fear or something rule your life?’” Díaz is quoted as asking by the Washington Post.

That seems like an excellent question to me, one that should have been asked months ago. We should certainly ask it now: why are we in such bondage to fear?

Fortunately, as Christians, we live by faith rather than fear.

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Still Alive said:

For me, this thread is not about the effectiveness of the vaccine. It's about masks.

Yes, I got a little (or a lot) off-track.

4 hours ago, Still Alive said:

The key point is that they say this is for vaccinated only, but the way it plays out in the real world is that it's for everybody. That's why they held off as long as they did. They knew that once they said vaccinated people didn't need to wear masks, they were really saying that it would be impossible to enforce any mask requirement at all.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head.

3 hours ago, Still Alive said:

Fortunately, as Christians, we live by faith rather than fear.

It is difficult to draw a precise and steady line between concern for others and fear. Of course I'm not worried about my life. I know that something much better awaits me after my time on earth. I don't have any wish to die, but neither do I dread that day. On the other hand, I did want to be sure to do my part to help limit the spread of a very deadly pandemic.

12 minutes ago, one.opinion said:

...I did want to be sure to do my part to help limit the spread of a very deadly pandemic.

I agree, but I just don't see it as that deadly. It never crossed that line for me. I was into the mask thing in the first couple of weeks to "flatten the curve", but we did that. 

And it became so politicized that it was hard to get valid information. And I was permanently banned from a couple of sites for merely posting actual senate testimony because I was considered as guilty of "posting conspiracy theories", even though the veracity of the person testifying has stood the test of time. 

And then there is the friend of my granddaughter that died in a motorcycle crash. His corpse tested positive for CV19 so it was recorded as a CV19 death. And it is really only dangerous to us old people that already have one foot in the grave. 

If the demographic numbers regarding fatality and age were reversed, I'd have taken it VERY seriously.

20 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

If the demographic numbers regarding fatality and age were reversed, I'd have taken it VERY seriously.

Judging by the vaccination rate in our Senior citizens, they really do want to live. Sure, it would have been even more tragic if the young were highly vulnerable, but we have lost nearly twice as many citizens to COVID than we did in WW2. Even if we make a completely outlandish claim and guess 1 in 10 COVID deaths should have been classified as something else, we still have over half a million dead.

Just now, one.opinion said:

Judging by the vaccination rate in our Senior citizens, they really do want to live. 

Where I live, most of the people that are stressing about getting vaccinated are young people. In fact, I don't know a single over 60 person that got vaccinated. I suppose it depend on the crowd you hang out with. :)

2 minutes ago, one.opinion said:

Even if we make a completely outlandish claim and guess 1 in 10 COVID deaths should have been classified as something else, we still have over half a million dead.

No. We would have about 60,000 in the US over a period of over a year. And since the gross majority of them are over 70, it reduces the seriousness of it, compared to something that strikes the young. 

A lot of people die every day. We want to mitigate risk, but we still understand that life is risk, and people die of all sorts of things - especially us old people. 

4 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Where I live, most of the people that are stressing about getting vaccinated are young people. In fact, I don't know a single over 60 person that got vaccinated. I suppose it depend on the crowd you hang out with. :)

According to the CDC, as of May 15, 72.8% of people over 65 are fully vaccinated, compared to only 37.5% of the total population.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations