IGNORED

Was the flood a worldwide flood or a flood of the known world?

Amigo42

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

“Every living thing on earth died—every man and woman, every bird, and every kind of animal. All the many kinds of animals and all the things that crawl on the ground died. Every living, breathing thing on dry land died. The water continued to rise above the mountains. The water was more than 20 feet above the highest mountain.

In this way God wiped the earth clean—he destroyed every living thing on the earth—every human, every animal, everything that crawls, and every bird. All that was left was Noah and his family and the animals that were with him in the boat. The water continued to cover the earth for 150 days.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭7:20-24‬ ‭ERV‬‬

“Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered. And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭7:20-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,515
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

My thoughts: Every ancient culture and civilization had a flood story that closely paralleled the Bible, including China. If Noah's flood was localized, it would have had to be contained somehow, such as with a circle of mountains. People and creatures would have migrated to and sought out the highest ground to survive. 

We don't know the earth's topography or landscape of the pre-flood world, but it is safe to assume the geology was not completely flat. Eden was not only a garden, but a mountain too. If not contained, a buildup of water will seek equilibrium or the weakest point, thus equaling out globally.

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream... Noah's barge was one serious piece of craftsmanship, withstanding the violence of that deluge and underneath violent mantle topography changes and violent waves. 

It has been documented and recorded exactly where the earth's mantle fractured, and we have the ring of fire. Did the fountains of the deep only burst forward in the middle-east?

Creationist scientific evidence has convinced me the Grand Cannon was not created over millions of years, but suddenly. By a sudden release and drainage of a massive amount of stored up water. The entire regions landscape could have only been formed by a huge amount of rushing water. Not wind, rain and erosion over millennium [IMO].

In our hemisphere Wooly Mammoth's have been found suddenly frozen, completely preserved, with food still in their mouth. Dinosaurs found with flesh still on their bones. Fossils and dinosaur bones are generally not found individually, but in massive localized graves by the hundreds or thousands. They didn't travel there knowing they we about to die and use it for a cemetery. Massive water and whirlpools nicely explains it.

Speaking of fossils here in N. America; the process of fossilization is the same globally. How do fossils form? Over long periods of time, or suddenly covered?

One of the smartest men I know in this generation, on Semitic language and a Hebrew scholar, Dr. Michael S. Heiser, believes the flood was localized.

I have my own distinguished credentials; in my eight years of high school, freshman through senor years, all of my teachers formerly told me, "I was their best 'F' student they ever had." I was voted the most likely, and only person in history, never to achieve a single thing! Who needs a sheepskin anyway?

So, with my opinion and credentials, I'm disagreeing with Dr. Heiser. The flood was global. Genesis 7:19 (KJV) And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.

Maybe the translators got it wrong, and it should read "under parts of heaven" or "under the localized region?"

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

Guest kingdombrat

Verse 19 in my opinion tells us the entire Earth was covered.   

19And the waters became exceedingly powerful upon the earth, and all the lofty mountains that were under the heavens were covered up.   יטוְהַמַּ֗יִם גָּֽבְר֛וּ מְאֹ֥ד מְאֹ֖ד עַל־הָאָ֑רֶץ וַיְכֻסּ֗וּ כָּל־הֶֽהָרִים֙ הַגְּבֹהִ֔ים אֲשֶׁר־תַּ֖חַת כָּל־הַשָּׁמָֽיִם:

The heavens here obviously refers to the first heaven, the immediate atmosphere.   So, wherever the skies of Earth existed, water covered the Earth.   No doubt means Global Wide Flood.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

It has been documented and recorded exactly where the earth's mantle fractured, and we have the ring of fire. Did the fountains of the deep only burst forward in the middle-east?

I believe you mean the crust fractured, not the mantle. The idea behind this hypothesis is interesting and is the favoured for more YE organizations. There are signficant thermodynamic issues around this though.

Creationist scientific evidence has convinced me the Grand Cannon was not created over millions of years, but suddenly. By a sudden release and drainage of a massive amount of stored up water. The entire regions landscape could have only been formed by a huge amount of rushing water. Not wind, rain and erosion over millennium [IMO].

Great typo! That was also earth's superweapon from the old Robotech anime series.

I've seen suggested that all the sedimentary rocks of the earth were laid down at the Flood. If so, then the canyon was created after, because the canyon itself is composed of dominantly sedimentary rocks until it intersects the basement metamorphic rocks. 

In our hemisphere Wooly Mammoth's have been found suddenly frozen, completely preserved, with food still in their mouth. Dinosaurs found with flesh still on their bones. Fossils and dinosaur bones are generally not found individually, but in massive localized graves by the hundreds or thousands. They didn't travel there knowing they we about to die and use it for a cemetery. Massive water and whirlpools nicely explains it.

Speaking of fossils here in N. America; the process of fossilization is the same globally. How do fossils form? Over long periods of time, or suddenly covered?

Suddenly covered is helpful to ensure limited oxygen and prevent rapid decay, but the mineralizing process takes a lot more time - it is a process of replacing the existing minerals with new minerals. I've got examples of fairly quick fossilization (leaves that fell into a mineral spring), but most take significantly longer.

The Burgess shale is one location, high in the western Rockies of Canada that show soft-body details. These would have required rapid burial, likely due to slope failure along the ocean shelf to deep anoxic conditions. For a YE timeline, there would have had to been an immediate uplift and exposure of extremely soft, unconsolidated sediments, located about 800km from the ocean. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,029
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  3

I think this applies to a lot of the bible: "as far as the writer is concerned". 

And as far as the writer was concerned, it was worldwide. Just like, as far as the writer was concerned, the earth was flat, with another solid world above it held up by pillars we call mountains. 

The bible is not a science book. It's not about how. It's about why. The focus of the flood is WHY it happened and the result. Anything else is putting information there that is not there.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

22 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

with another solid world above it held up by pillars we call mountains. 

Please state in which line the writer states it

Edited by PeterR

12 minutes ago, PeterR said:

Please state in which line the writer states it

I'm saying it is obvious in their descriptions. An example: https://www.bibleandscience.com/bible/books/genesis/genesis1_pillarsearth.htm

6 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I'm saying it is obvious in their descriptions. An example: https://www.bibleandscience.com/bible/books/genesis/genesis1_pillarsearth.htm

You tell some fairy tales

4 minutes ago, PeterR said:

You tell some fairy tales

Opinions vary. :)

9 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Opinions vary. :)

2Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Col 2:8  Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

:)