• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/09/1960

5 hours ago, Willa said:

Your assumption may be wrong.  Women are sinners for many reasons that are not sexual in nature.  My 6th grade girls Sunday school class said, "why do we have to repent?  We have never done anything wrong!"  So I asked them if they had ever been disrespectful to their parents, or stolen anything, or lied, or desperately wanted something that didn't belong to them.  The room got very quiet.  

Someone once said: when the Bible speaks, we speak.  Where the Bible is silent, we are silent.

Well, the Bible does say, as Dennis brought out earlier, that 7 Demons were cast out of her....I don't remember the Bible saying that about many other women....I think it was something far worse than the sins you mentioned :).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,381
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

2 hours ago, Tammy Roesch said:

It was a box filled with expensive perfume....it was her pre-burial offering to Jesus...even though I don't think she realized that He was soon going to die for all of us :)

it was a link not a question... click on the link and it will take you to the site of GotQuestions... and I was answering your belief that Mary is identified and she is not!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

11 hours ago, Tammy Roesch said:

I think we all agree that it was Mary Magdalene who brought the alabaster box of ointment, right?  Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but when the Bible calls her "a sinner", I am assuming that means she was a Prostitute. 

And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, Luke 7:37

THe OP admonishes members to prove all things. An assumption is not proving all things-- by careful examination of the scriptures. Quite the opposite.

There is a lesson to be learned here and an opportunity to study further---to dig in. These days, its easy to search all scripture related to a subject or individual and examine them. I did that yesterday because--honestly--I couldn't recall for sure although I was aware that folks have called her a prostitute.

"Prove all Things"

Just a bit of trivia---Mary came from Magdala and it 'appears' that Luke may have given her the handle Magdalene to differentiate her from Martha's sister Mary. If memory serves.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The way I see it, if we truly have the Holy Spirit within, our interpretation of the bible will generally be correct. Or, at the very least, we will seek until we find what's correct.

Edited by Kenny'sID
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

On 7/24/2021 at 9:36 AM, Tammy Roesch said:

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." 1 Thessalonians 5:21.

With all the MISINFORMATION out there, it's very difficult to "PROVE ALL THINGS". Nearly impossible to ALWAYS know who is telling the TRUTH & who is LYING.

Thankfully, when we read the Bible, we don't have to PROVE ALL THINGS....because the Bible is TRUE, it never LIES. What we do have to PROVE are the human interpretations put on the Bible. Our job is to determine, with the help of the Holy Spirit, which interpretations are TRUE and which interpretations are LIES and to "HOLD FAST" to the true ones.

There are many parts of the Bible that are not hard to understand, even a child can understand them, they are as CLEAR AS NOON DAY.

And then there are other parts that are not so clear, and that is where we often read other humans understanding of those parts and that is where we must PROVE ALL THINGS.

It's good to prove all thing because we living in a world where Satan has his own ministers and they bring you his doctrine. Paul says in (2 Cor.11: 13-15) For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. (v.14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. (v.15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

So I agree that the Bible, the word of God is true. Let's also take a look at what Peter says for those who may not understand something or has confusion about a matter.  We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1: 19-21)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,090
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

On 7/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, Tammy Roesch said:

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." 1 Thessalonians 5:21.

With all the MISINFORMATION out there, it's very difficult to "PROVE ALL THINGS". Nearly impossible to ALWAYS know who is telling the TRUTH & who is LYING.

Thankfully, when we read the Bible, we don't have to PROVE ALL THINGS....because the Bible is TRUE, it never LIES. What we do have to PROVE are the human interpretations put on the Bible. Our job is to determine, with the help of the Holy Spirit, which interpretations are TRUE and which interpretations are LIES and to "HOLD FAST" to the true ones.

There are many parts of the Bible that are not hard to understand, even a child can understand them, they are as CLEAR AS NOON DAY.

And then there are other parts that are not so clear, and that is where we often read other humans understanding of those parts and that is where we must PROVE ALL THINGS.

19 Don’t stop the work of the Holy Spirit. 20 Don’t treat prophecy like something that is not important. 21 But test everything. Keep what is good, 22 and stay away from everything that is evil.

23 We pray that God himself, the God of peace, will make you pure—belonging only to him. We pray that your whole self—spirit, soul, and body—will be kept safe and be blameless when our Lord Jesus Christ comes. 24 The one who chose you will do that for you. You can trust him.

The context is telling us to test prophecies.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,090
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Everyone made interesting statements.    We need to pay attention to context.

It is about testing prophets.