• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

3 hours ago, appy said:

Telling people what they can or can not eat or drink, as well as attempting to make others feel guilty for eating or drinking certain foods, amounts to legalism verbatim.

Colossians 2:16
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink,

What this verse is condemning is to oblige people to shun from healthy food. However, everything that can give place to addictions ought to be condemned (Eph 4:27; Gal 5:13; 1 Thess 5:22).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/09/1960

3 hours ago, appy said:

The thing about coffee, chocolate and nicotine, is that neither causes a person to lose their ability to make sound decisions. Neither causes people to have automobile accidents. There are no scriptures against drinking alcohol. What is does repeatedly say is …. don't get drunk. A person is to be in control of their senses.

Telling people what they can or can not eat or drink, as well as attempting to make others feel guilty for eating or drinking certain foods, amounts to legalism verbatim.

Colossians 2:20-23
Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules:  “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”?  These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings.  Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

I don't believe these passages have ANYTHING to do with our diet...  They have everything to do with the CEREMONIAL LAW.  Have you forgotten about the verse ~ 

1Co 10:31  Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

God would be speaking out of both sides of His mouth if here He tells to "eat and drink to the glory of God" and then tell us that it's OK to eat things that are not healthy in another verse....makes no common sense.  But if you understand the verse you quoted as referring to the CEREMONIAL LAW, it all fits together perfectly.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,314
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

@Tammy Roesch you seem to be really concerned with that which passes away and will not be remembered... why?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

6 hours ago, appy said:

The thing about coffee, chocolate and nicotine, is that neither causes a person to lose their ability to make sound decisions. Neither causes people to have automobile accidents. There are no scriptures against drinking alcohol. What is does repeatedly say is …. don't get drunk. A person is to be in control of their senses.

Colossians 2:20-23
Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules:  “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”?  These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings.  Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Morning there appy,

I agree with everything you said, but let me run something by you. Just because we can, should we?

I was once a local area truck delivery driver. Bringing along a sack lunch everyday got old in a hurry. I began asking around at my delivery stops, where in this little town has the best food fast and at a reasonable price?

Often times, it was a local tavern serving buffet lunches and was fast and delicious. If my timing was right and I was in the area at lunch time, I'd go and fill my belly and have a soft drink, then on to the next stop. At the time I was living in sin and didn't even give it a second thought.

Fast forward to today. We have a little tavern in town, that I hear has a nice lunch buffet. What if I went to that tavern and had lunch and washed it down with a soft drink? Walking out the door, my Pastor, a church member, or someone who knows me, sees me walking out of a tavern. Would they confront me right then, later on down the road, and ask me what I was doing there? Most likely not...

People can jump to conclusions, as I gave the appearance of drinking by being there. Should we abstain from all appearances of evil?

As is said; you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Would there be any stigma or suspicion attached to me walking out of a bar?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

What this verse is condemning is to oblige people to shun from healthy food. However, everything that can give place to addictions ought to be condemned (Eph 4:27; Gal 5:13; 1 Thess 5:22).

There is no problem with people wanting to eat healthy, there is no shunning in regards to eating veggies, but there is a problem with people demanding others do as they do, or do as they tell them to as if they were those other people's mommies and daddies. “Do as I tell you” is legalism. And Paul spoke against legalism.

There are no threads demanding people to not eat a healthy diet, but there is a plethera of threads demanding others to abstain from enjoying certain foods.

Scripture teaches that what foods a person chooses to eat is no one else's business. We are told in scripture explicitly to not judge or criticize others about their food choices. So if a person wishes to eat meat and drink coffee, that is up to them. And they should NOT be made to feel guilty because they enjoy these things.

Romans 14:3-4
The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

@Tammy Roesch

You are not  person in this thread, that spoke about it being wrong to drink coffee, NOT all posts are directed at you specifically.  There are about a half dozen other people posting in this thread, besides you and me. 

Realize that all posts can be commented on by everybody, and topics tend to go off path from the original discussion, as well as get directed to other people other than you.  Just because someone disagrees with you on topics or points, doesn't mean they are against you.  There are things you disagree on

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  586
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

I flip through many threads here to just skim the highlights, I've never seen a Member with a "Banned" status.   I don't even know if they do that.   But it won't be for what anyone has posted in this thread.   Just look at immediate Family.  Some we love to death, some we dearly love, some we are getting there, some will always be a question mark but we love em anyways.   That's exactly how it is here in this Family through God. Time to enjoy a cup of tea.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

On 8/13/2021 at 5:37 AM, Tammy Roesch said:

So true, Kelly....we are hoping and praying that this tragic event will make a strong impression on some of the other young men who drink...and help all to take life more seriously.

I had a job when I was 16 providing housing for homeless drunk people. It was really a wake up call for me to never let alcohol do to me what it did to them. 

• Loved it! 1

2 minutes ago, JohnR7 said:

I had a job when I was 16 providing housing for homeless drunk people. It was really a wake up call for me to never let alcohol do to me what it did to them. 

I HATE alcohol.  My husband was an alcoholic before we met, in his early 20's.....thank God, he overcame....

18 minutes ago, Kelly2363 said:

It was myself that raised the vegetables when I spoke of the lads coming round for that feast of aromatic vegetables - then I also said to wink at the beef. That was right at the beginning and you loved that comment. But your reply made it clear that you do not give them beef to eat. Of course what I intended by my comment was that you ought to given them meat and then wink at it. Only my way of making a way to raise other matters carefully and thoughtfully. 

You remind me of a lovely sister I know who had eleven children - acres to plough and a husband who was a fine manly man. She was an artist and you are a herbalist. When her art transgressed into the boundary of leading other believers into error I rebuked her because she was harming the church with philosophy that was predicated on false prophetic utterance. I believe that when you are inclined to speak about food and the medicinal or nutritional  benefit of herbs you are transgressing into the boundary of other peoples faith in Christ and are likely to cause harm. You are not likely to transgress into false prophecy but you may call for an Elisha? 

I think your artist friend and I have alot in common :) . I don't think I understand your last sentence....