Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I have a simple question, asking for a simple answer? There is no need to write a doctoral thesis in response to a two-letter word. I have selected only two scriptures of many for this question.

The word is “IF”. The question is: “If” one does not abide by this conjunction; a conditional clause, then what is the result, condition, and status?

1 Corinthians 15:2 (KJV) By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Colossians 1:23 (KJV) If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Grammar 101: The word “if” is conjunction, introducing a conditional clause, a qualification, yes? Removing that two-letter word would change the content, meaning, and intent of what Paul the author was conveying.

Said another way: “If” they did not continue in the faith grounded and settled, and moved away from the hope of the Gospel; they did not keep in memory Paul’s preaching; they forgot or, came to reasoning to no effect or cause.

Paul, by stating, “If ye continue”, indicated they are currently in the faith and saved.

Again, back to that two-letter conjunction “if”. What ‘if’ they did not (or else)?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

15 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I have a simple question, asking for a simple answer? There is no need to write a doctoral thesis in response to a two-letter word. I have selected only two scriptures of many for this question.

The word is “IF”. The question is: “If” one does not abide by this conjunction; a conditional clause, then what is the result, condition, and status?

1 Corinthians 15:2 (KJV) By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Colossians 1:23 (KJV) If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Grammar 101: The word “if” is conjunction, introducing a conditional clause, a qualification, yes? Removing that two-letter word would change the content, meaning, and intent of what Paul the author was conveying.

Said another way: “If” they did not continue in the faith grounded and settled, and moved away from the hope of the Gospel; they did not keep in memory Paul’s preaching; they forgot or, came to reasoning to no effect or cause.

Paul, by stating, “If ye continue”, indicated they are currently in the faith and saved.

Again, back to that two-letter conjunction “if”. What ‘if’ they did not (or else)?

Here's a simple answer: this is a diamond, if it cuts glass.  This is a test to see whether or not it really is a diamond, not a condition that it has to fulfil, in order to become or remain a diamond.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

29 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Here's a simple answer: this is a diamond, if it cuts glass.  This is a test to see whether or not it really is a diamond, not a condition that it has to fulfil, in order to become or remain a diamond.

A qualifier.....

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

There are a lot of "what if's" in our lives. I think we should let God take control and forget about the what if's. 

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

4 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Do you think you really love God?

If you love me, keep my Commandments.

So, do we love God?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

3 hours ago, Sower said:

Do you think you really love God?

If you love me, keep my Commandments.

So, do we love God?

That's sort of my point Sower. Example:

A man falls deeply in love with a woman, they make a betrothal and eventually get married. A couple was intended to stay married for as long as they live. The status of that suddenly changed:

Deuteronomy 24:1 (KJV) When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

Jeremiah 3:8 (KJV) And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

After being faithful to his wife for 10 years; the husband decides he is not in love anymore and grows weary of her, and her requirements. He divorces his wife and walks away from his vow and commitment, to pursue other interests.

The point: It happens all the time. People fall deeply in and out of love with their spouse, and even God, and walk away. There is no doubt the bride originally loved the bridegroom and proved it with faithfulness, word and actions. The same applies to some people with their relationship with the Lord. 

The question: Falling out of love with Jesus, then turning your back and walking away; what is their salvation status? They decided to divorce Jesus forever. Will Jesus 'force' the betrothal and marriage of the lamb against their wishes? 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  579
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

what is their salvation status?

Saved yet as through fire.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

57 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

The question: Falling out of love with Jesus, then turning your back and walking away; what is their salvation status? They decided to divorce Jesus forever. Will Jesus 'force' the betrothal and marriage of the lamb against their wishes? 

I don't believe Jesus forces anything. Maybe he will patiently wait for the person to see the error of their ways and want to come back. Also though like you said if they meant it forever well then thats on them and there's no hope. 

55 minutes ago, Kelly2363 said:

Saved yet as through fire.

Would that be possible?? 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  579
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  2

13 minutes ago, Greenie said:

Would that be possible?? 

According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

1 Corinthians 3:10-15

Edited by Kelly2363

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

8 hours ago, Sower said:

A qualifier.....

Yes.