JaneLee

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Does testing the spirits mean to ask a spirit if it confesses that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, and if it confesses that means its a spirit from God? Has anybody tried it? Can an evil spirit or demon ever acknowledge that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, can they ever say that? Does anyone have any experience?

1 John 4:1-3 "1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

ANSWER

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world” (1 John 4:1).

In this verse believers are commanded to “test the spirits to see whether they are from God.” This same command is echoed in other parts of Scripture as well. For example, in 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 we find Paul exhorting the Christians to not “despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.”

These two passages are just a few of the many that warn Christians to test the message that people or spirits proclaim. This is true in all situations but most importantly when a person or spirit is claiming to speak for God. Christians are to be discerning hearers and readers of all messages. The reason for the admonition to “test the spirits” or “test all things” is that there are “many false prophets” or “wolves in sheep’s clothing” that try to lead Christians astray. Sadly, there are many people who claim to speak for God who are presenting a false gospel that is powerless to save. Such errant teaching leaves people with a false hope of salvation and, in a way, inoculates them from the true message. People who are deceived into thinking everything is fine will be more resistant to the truth.

Second Corinthians 11:13-15 warns us that “such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.” So the reason for testing the spirits, for testing all religious teaching, is to see if it is truly from God or if it is a lie from Satan and his servants.

The test is to compare what is being taught with the clear teaching of the Bible. The Bible alone is the Word of God; it alone is inspired and inerrant. Therefore, the way to test the spirits is to see if what is being taught is in line with the clear teaching of Scripture. In Acts 17:10-11 the Berean Jews were commended because, after they heard the teachings of Paul and Silas, they “examined the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.” The Bereans were called “noble” for doing so.

Testing the spirits means that one must know how to “examine the Scriptures.” Rather than accept every teaching, discerning Christians diligently study the Scriptures. Then they know what the Bible says and therefore can “test all things and hold fast to what is true.” In order to do this, a Christian must “be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15). The Word of God is to be “a lamp” and “a light” to our path (Psalm 119:105). We must let its light shine on the teachings and doctrines of the day; the Bible alone is the standard by which all truth must be judged.

https://www.gotquestions.org/test-the-spirits.html

Edited by missmuffet

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

12 minutes ago, missmuffet said:
ANSWER

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world” (1 John 4:1).

In this verse believers are commanded to “test the spirits to see whether they are from God.” This same command is echoed in other parts of Scripture as well. For example, in 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 we find Paul exhorting the Christians to not “despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.”

These two passages are just a few of the many that warn Christians to test the message that people or spirits proclaim. This is true in all situations but most importantly when a person or spirit is claiming to speak for God. Christians are to be discerning hearers and readers of all messages. The reason for the admonition to “test the spirits” or “test all things” is that there are “many false prophets” or “wolves in sheep’s clothing” that try to lead Christians astray. Sadly, there are many people who claim to speak for God who are presenting a false gospel that is powerless to save. Such errant teaching leaves people with a false hope of salvation and, in a way, inoculates them from the true message. People who are deceived into thinking everything is fine will be more resistant to the truth.

Second Corinthians 11:13-15 warns us that “such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.” So the reason for testing the spirits, for testing all religious teaching, is to see if it is truly from God or if it is a lie from Satan and his servants.

The test is to compare what is being taught with the clear teaching of the Bible. The Bible alone is the Word of God; it alone is inspired and inerrant. Therefore, the way to test the spirits is to see if what is being taught is in line with the clear teaching of Scripture. In Acts 17:10-11 the Berean Jews were commended because, after they heard the teachings of Paul and Silas, they “examined the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.” The Bereans were called “noble” for doing so.

Testing the spirits means that one must know how to “examine the Scriptures.” Rather than accept every teaching, discerning Christians diligently study the Scriptures. Then they know what the Bible says and therefore can “test all things and hold fast to what is true.” In order to do this, a Christian must “be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15). The Word of God is to be “a lamp” and “a light” to our path (Psalm 119:105). We must let its light shine on the teachings and doctrines of the day; the Bible alone is the standard by which all truth must be judged.

What she said.  Listen to the words they say, compare them with scripture and if they are harmonious with scripture take them in, if not reject them.  Its not about talking to spirits.  But rather discerning the spirit in which the words are given

Someone claiming to be special, or to have a special revelation, or to use the word to manipulate into giving to them....would  be examples of word not of the Holy Spirit. 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,029
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 hours ago, JaneLee said:

Does testing the spirits mean to ask a spirit if it confesses that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, and if it confesses that means its a spirit from God? Has anybody tried it? Can an evil spirit or demon ever acknowledge that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, can they ever say that? Does anyone have any experience?

1 John 4:1-3 "1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God."

More on this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

8 hours ago, JaneLee said:

Does testing the spirits mean to ask a spirit if it confesses that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, and if it confesses that means its a spirit from God? Has anybody tried it?

Yes I have tried it and yes there were people whose (spirits) refused to confess.

Edited by Hopefully
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Yes I have tried it and yes there were people whose (spirits) refused to confess.

That I do not understand. 

Please provide more details.

Were they on trial? 

Accused of heresy? 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

Were they on trial? 

Accused of heresy? 

This is not what it means to test the spirits.  I thank Michael for posting a link to a post I had previously made in reply to someone else who was also was asking how we might test the spirits.  I will repost my reply to the question here.

When 1 John 4:1-3  speaks of testing the spirits, he is not referring to being able to recognize the difference between angels and demons per se, but in recognizing the attitude and spirit behind what people are saying or teaching and how they live.

As others have pointed out, we need to read our bibles daily, so that we can spot what is false and what is true whether we are measuring a person or doctrines. The bible is the yardstick by which we use to measure with. A person that affirms Christ as the bible teaches, will place emphasis on Jesus, and direct others to Him.

The example in Acts is a good example of how we are to test....  The Bereans, did NOT just blindly believe what Paul told them about the gospel.  But checked to see if his words were the same as scripture. You test people  by their view of Christ. And you test people by how they live. Do they demonstrate the characteristics of being regenerated?

A person's validity comes from the doctrine of Christ. He or she will affirm that Jesus Christ is God in flesh, and they will place emphasis on Jesus, and direct others to Him.

False teachers, and or false teachings contradict what the bible says, and the focus and emphasis is in the direction of immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed. However, when measuring a person or doctrine/teaching, We must be careful when observing others, because we may not have the full story. For some, they might just be beginning their walk in Christ. We don't want them to start doubting their salvation, or they may stop trusting Christ. Everyone is at different places in their walk with Christ. And no one is ever immune to temptation and sin.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

Yesterday someone posted an idea that Yeshua was not eternal but was created. They misunderstood the Israeli 'first born' idea that is a STATUS and not a chronological affirmation.

"My people perish thru lack of knowledge".

They might couch it in some kind of scriptural nonsense. The unware might miss it but if you see that kind of thing, just know it is from a subtle deception. Some sects that call themselves 'christian' try to equate Yeshua with a created being. I think the careful reader will know what I am getting at.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

“My dear friends, many false prophets are in the world now. So don’t believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see if they are from God.

This is how you can recognize God’s Spirit. One spirit says, “I believe that Jesus is the Messiah who came to earth and became a man.” That Spirit is from God. Another spirit refuses to say this about Jesus. That spirit is not from God. This is the spirit of the enemy of Christ. You have heard that the enemy of Christ is coming, and now he is already in the world.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭4:1-3‬ ‭

We have spirits

“The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:22‬ ‭

“If you are happy, your face shows it. If you are sad, your spirit feels defeated.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭15:13‬ ‭

“Your spirit is like a lamp to the Lord. He is able to see into your deepest parts.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭20:27‬ ‭

“Stay awake and pray for strength against temptation. Your spirit wants to do what is right, but your body is weak.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭26:41‬ ‭

I could post a lot more references to us having spirits but I think these few are fine.

“The true children of God are those who let God’s Spirit lead them.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:14‬ ‭

“We received the Spirit that is from God, not the spirit of the world. We received God’s Spirit so that we can know all that God has given us.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭2:12‬ ‭

Gods spirit is with those who belong to him, and we are the spirits that confess Jesus Christ has come in the flesh and all who believe in him will not perish but have everlasting life. 

Edited by Hopefully

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

“My dear friends, many false prophets are in the world now. So don’t believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see if they are from God.

This is how you can recognize God’s Spirit. One spirit says, “I believe that Jesus is the Messiah who came to earth and became a man.” That Spirit is from God. Another spirit refuses to say this about Jesus. That spirit is not from God. This is the spirit of the enemy of Christ. You have heard that the enemy of Christ is coming, and now he is already in the world.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭4:1-3‬ ‭

We have spirits

“The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:22‬ ‭

“If you are happy, your face shows it. If you are sad, your spirit feels defeated.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭15:13‬ ‭

“Your spirit is like a lamp to the Lord. He is able to see into your deepest parts.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭20:27‬ ‭

“Stay awake and pray for strength against temptation. Your spirit wants to do what is right, but your body is weak.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭26:41‬ ‭

I could post a lot more references to us having spirits but I think these few are fine.

1st John 4:1-3

1 beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 

*First I would like to thank you for your polite attitude. 

And I have to inform about something and how can I inform a polite person?  

This is the situation that I need to overcome. 

If you were not polite it would have make it easier. 

Then I would rather say something that I often go through when I visit some church for the first time and just a few not all.

*I went to this church and at the end of the service and during coffee time I notice two or three people talking between themselves and nodding towards me.

I know how to make friends and also how it can backfire and instead of friends I can make enemies. 

Along the way they stated asking me questions to help them understand something about me.. 

Their understanding was depending on my answers to the questions. 

They could not form an independent evaluation of my beliefs which I understood. 

Their first question: are you born again?  A. I do not know what you mean, but I believe in Jesus Christ. 

They said to one another: the  devils believe. 

Next they told me the story of Nicodemus.  My self: I cannot Identify my self with Nicodemus because he was a Jew and before the Cross and he was born in a Jewish family who were in obedience to the Law before the Cross.  

I said I was born in a Christian family. They: being born in a Christian family does not make someone a born again Christian. 

Me: maybe just a Christian?  

No truth Christian, only truth Christians are saved.

Me: I was baptized and go to church and Sunday school....

No that does not make you a Christian...

Me; I believe that Jesus Christ died for the forgiveness of the sins of the world....

They: do you believe that he died for your sins? Me, I am part of the world that must include me: 

Then the relevant one: 

Do you believe that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh?

Me: I believe what the bible says about Jesus Christ and what the disciples teach about Jesus....

They : can you say that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh? 

Do you believe that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh? 

Me: I believe the same thing they disciples teach about Jesus...

Can you say Jesus Christ has come in the flesh....

Me: you remind me of the blind man and the Pharisees...

They asked, what is your name? Me, why you want to know my name?  You do not know me and you are gonna believe any name I will give you.  

They : say what is your name in the name of Jesus

Me: my name is Mark...

They: you fool spirit we know you are there ...you cannot full us...what is your name? 

Me: its me I am not a Devil...they : you devil come out from this man, we know you are there...you cannot full us...

It went like this for a while, I failed to convince that they were talking with me and not a Devil...

Finally they said: this one comes out only with prayer and fasting....or if you cannot cast him out ....kick him out and they throw me out of the building... 

Hope that helps...