Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,100
  • Content Per Day:  9.71
  • Days Won:  149

I have no idea what this was. I was in bed.The whole house shook.The windows rattled. My neighbors heard it It was a very clear very cold evening at 18F.

Apparently these booms are common all over the world.

Thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, Starise said:

I have no idea what this was. I was in bed.The whole house shook.The windows rattled. My neighbors heard it It was a very clear very cold evening at 18F.

Apparently these booms are common all over the world.

Thoughts?

Probably lots of possibilities. Check the local news. If lots of people heard someone may start making inquiries.

ETA: apparently Pittsburgh was hit with a loud boom a week ago, attributed to a meteorite.

Edited by teddyv
  • Thumbs Up 1

As soon as it happened I started to check online. I came across a news reel for the date. Initially I thought it was for yesterday. I was mistaken and it was for about 5 years ago, so it happened then too.

At that time the local police attempted to explain it away as someone exploding tannerite.

I don't sincerely believe anyone in my area was playing with gun explosives at 2 in the morning.

A few other explanations have been meteorites. When this is looked at in more detail it looses some credibility. This is at least a possibility.

They have been referred to as skyquakes. No one  really has an explanation that is certain. 

I know this one might seem a stretch to a few because the question always asked is why would the military be playing with hypersonic air craft over a populated area? Well my area really isn't that populated. Neither is it extremely rural. It's on the outskirts in farmland. It would be considered rural. I have a large field right behind my house. A hypersonic air craft dropping to subsonic speed would make such a boom. If it is something that HAS to happen, they would be doing it in different locations so as not to draw so much attention to one area. Something like that could happen miles away and still be heard and felt.

The last and probably the most unbelievable for me is that the issue is geologic. The earth shaking from miles down. One other related thing I heard that is really off the wall is that there are magnetic shifts in the earth's core.

All I can tell you is I was laying in bed at 1:50am in a sound sleep and BOOOOOM!!!

I heard all my windows shake and it felt like the house jumped an inch out of the ground when it happened. Like someone set off a bundle of TNT hanging from a balloon over my house. When  awoke I fully expected to see a tragedy of some kind. My first thought was my neighbor's propane tank had exploded.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,204
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  99

Plenty of possibilities. For example, debris in low earth orbit entering the atmosphere; friction and heat do indeed cause objects like space junk and meteoroids to explode. You may recall the Tunguska event of 1908 in Siberia: a cataclysmic 12-megaton explosion occurred in the lower atmosphere, 3 to 6 miles above the surface of the earth. A meteor traveling at an estimated speed of 60,000 mph (it looked like a brilliant bluish-white light to eyewitnesses) is the culprit. The event created a shockwave that knocked people off their feet and broke windows a hundred miles distant.  

In 2003 I was living in Tyler, Texas. I was sitting at my desk drinking coffee when an enormous booming occurred, rattling the house and shaking everything inside for over a minute. I'm a veteran of earthquakes so I was confident that wasn't the cause. What happened? The space shuttle Columbia exploded 10 miles above the neighborhood. A doctor who lived a few doors down the street snapped a famous photograph of the event. 

Plenty of possibilities, my friend. 

11 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Plenty of possibilities. For example, debris in low earth orbit entering the atmosphere; friction and heat do indeed cause objects like space junk and meteoroids to explode. You may recall the Tunguska event of 1908 in Siberia: a cataclysmic 12-megaton explosion occurred in the lower atmosphere, 3 to 6 miles above the surface of the earth. A meteor traveling at an estimated speed of 60,000 mph (it looked like a brilliant bluish-white light to eyewitnesses) is the culprit. The event created a shockwave that knocked people off their feet and broke windows a hundred miles distant.  

In 2003 I was living in Tyler, Texas. I was sitting at my desk drinking coffee when an enormous booming occurred, rattling the house and shaking everything inside for over a minute. I'm a veteran of earthquakes so I was confident that wasn't the cause. What happened? The space shuttle Columbia exploded 10 miles above the neighborhood. A doctor who lived a few doors down the street snapped a famous photograph of the event. 

Plenty of possibilities, my friend. 

I remember seeing pictures of trees felled over in that Tunguska event. Trees destroyed for miles. It seemed like an impact. There was no object because it exploded above ground.

I had forgotten about that and the potential that exists. Thanks for reminding me. And Lord knows we have a lot of space junk up there in addition to meteorites coming in.

The Columbia event. Yes that was a sad day indeed.

As you say, plenty of possibilities. I lean towards an explanation that originated in one way or another from the air. I fancied smaller meteorites were not possible to do this. Larger ones maybe?

Edited by Starise

6 minutes ago, Starise said:

I remember seeing pictures of trees felled over in that Tunguska event. Trees destroyed for miles. It seemed like an impact. There was no object because it exploded above ground.

I had forgotten about that and the potential that exists. Thanks for reminding me. And Lord knows we have a lot of space junk up there in addition to meteorites coming in.

The Columbia event. Yes that was a sad day indeed.

As you say, plenty of possibilities. I lean towards an explanation that originated in one way or another from the air. I fancied smaller meteorites were not possible to do this. Larger ones maybe?

Tunguska is considered an impact event on account of what happened on the surface, albeit one without a crater. 

Believe it or not, smaller meteoroids are capable of generating the release of energy responsible for an event similar to Tunguska. A multitude of factors are at play... like the angle of approach and relative speed of the object. Most meteors entering our atmosphere disintegrate at relatively high altitude (a matter of miles), but a few enter at an angle of approach which permits anomalous events.

I'm certain you've heard the sonic boom generated by aircraft exceeding the speed of sound, yes? Rather loud. Well, consider an object traveling at 60,000 miles per hour which is approximately 80 times the speed of sound. 

I wrote about the following on the forum last year. An apartment fire several buildings down the block turned into a cataclysmic event when oxygen tanks stored in the apartment exploded. The explosions (four in rapid succession) knocked firefighters and witnesses flat on the street; one of our residents who was involved with evacuating residents permanently lost hearing in the ear facing the explosions. 

I was in bed when this occurred. I woke to the shrieking of metal and the building I live in rattling and shaking. The explosions were heard and felt all over the city. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Likely a sonic boom.

The military is doing a lot of flying with escalation everywhere.

There are constantly fighter jets being refueled all over the U.S. . If we go to war here soon, they're going to have to test at those speeds whether the AF releases a statement or not, & they usually don't. 

Every fighter jet we have breaks the sound barrier, & it can be broke 30 miles away and still shake the walls.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Several years ago, while hubby was blissfully sleeping, I heard a loud boom. Then there was rattling, noises in the house, my chair rocked and it felt like the ground was moving. As I thought was that an explosion ... I heard what sounded like a pack of great danes runnning through the house. Ok Im going nuts I think. I check the quake monitoring sites. Nothing. 20 minutes later, more rattling and rocking. Found out later there was a 4.1 and another lesser quake about 40 miles from my home. I live in a generally quake free zone. Never knew quakes could sound like something exploded.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,193
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

we were having booms last week and it was tracked down to a local college testing some supersonic drones and their effects on neighborhoods.   I didn't know that was legal, but it is what it is.

The booms I can live with but those places where they hear horns blowing just really freaks me out.