Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.66
  • Days Won:  149

Word has it our country has hypersonic aircraft which might be similar to a meteorite entering the atmosphere at an angle and VERY fast. They have to decelerate to land.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/8/2022 at 7:42 AM, Starise said:

I have no idea what this was. I was in bed.The whole house shook.The windows rattled. My neighbors heard it It was a very clear very cold evening at 18F.

Apparently these booms are common all over the world.

Thoughts?

235909068_download(2).jpg.8ae17860417923bce1aa392ca4dffc41.jpg

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.47
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

We heard something the other day….what was that?

:-)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Check and see if there is a air base near you.  Within the United States, it is illegal to break the sound barrier. ... When you pass Mach 1, the plane travels faster than the waves itself and that move across the so-called sound barrier produces a large sound, which is the sonic boom.

We have an air base in my area.  When I was a kid, sonic booms were common place till enough people complained about them and it became illegal for planes to travel faster than the speed of sound.  Just because it is illegal, doesn't mean it won't happen once in a while.

Explanation

Sonic boom is an impulsive noise similar to thunder. It is caused by an object moving faster than sound -- about 750 miles per hour at sea level. An aircraft traveling through the atmosphere continuously produces air-pressure waves similar to the water waves caused by a ship's bow. When the aircraft exceeds the speed of sound, these pressure waves combine and form shock waves which travel forward from the generation or "release" point.

As an aircraft flies at supersonic speeds it is continually generating shock waves, dropping sonic boom along its flight path, similar to someone dropping objects from a moving vehicle. From the perspective of the aircraft, the boom appears to be swept backwards as it travels away from the aircraft. If the plane makes a sharp turn or pulls up, the boom will hit the ground in front of the aircraft.

The sound heard on the ground as a "sonic boom" is the sudden onset and release of pressure after the buildup by the shock wave or "peak overpressure." The change in pressure caused by sonic boom is only a few pounds per square foot -- about the same pressure change we experience on an elevator as it descends two or three floors -- in a much shorter time period. It is the magnitude of this peak overpressure that describes a sonic boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.66
  • Days Won:  149

As it turns out the cause was much different than I thought.

Apparently an air compressor belonging to one of my neighbors exploded. They live a quarter mile away. Debris from the explosion landed on a school a quarter mile away, shredded the tops of trees and dented a propane tank.

I have never heard of an air compressor exploding. Usually they only contain air. Mine pumps up to about 100psi and shuts off. I'm wondering if it somehow took in something besides air? Like maybe flammable fumes? That's a lot of potential to come from an air tank.

I didn't hear any boom.  I do wake-up because of the coyotes.  I got woke up 4 times three nights ago with the coyotes having an all-night party.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

I think i would rather be woken up by coyotes or loud booms or anything other than the weird people i live with walking around upstairs doing stupid crap at 2 or 3 Am...but i never even imagined there were people out there who could actually go back to sleep 3 or 4 times after getting woke up...wth??? Because after one time i am pretty much awake the rest of the night/morning, period. But it is good to know that at least some Christians are getting a good nights sleep...