IGNORED

Bibles Chapters & Verses: Were They Done Badly?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I’ve been reading Leviticus recently and looking at the way the chapters have been divided, I have wondered if they have been done in an odd way? Is this something that has been talked about much?

E.g it looks like the first 7 verses of lev 6 would have been better to be included at the end of lev 5. I assume there’s lots of other examples

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,894
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

"When the books of the Bible were originally written, they did not contain chapter or verse references. The Bible was divided into chapters and verses to help us find Scriptures more quickly and easily. It is much easier to find "John chapter 3, verse 16" than it is to find "for God so loved the world..." In a few places, chapter breaks are poorly placed and as a result divide content that should flow together. Overall, though, the chapter and verse divisions are very helpful.

The chapter divisions commonly used today were developed by Stephen Langton, an Archbishop of Canterbury. Langton put the modern chapter divisions into place in around A.D. 1227. The Wycliffe English Bible of 1382 was the first Bible to use this chapter pattern. Since the Wycliffe Bible, nearly all Bible translations have followed Langton’s chapter divisions.

The Hebrew Old Testament was divided into verses by a Jewish rabbi by the name of Nathan in A.D. 1448. Robert Estienne, who was also known as Stephanus, was the first to divide the New Testament into standard numbered verses, in 1555. Stephanus essentially used Nathan’s verse divisions for the Old Testament. Since that time, beginning with the Geneva Bible, the chapter and verse divisions employed by Stephanus have been accepted into nearly all the Bible versions."

Source: https://www.gotquestions.org/divided-Bible-chapters-verses.html

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  695
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/17/1973

I’m not sure it was a good thing

people tend to pull out their favorite verse or chapter on a whim or recite from heart a certain passage, but doesn’t it bother some people when it’s almost too easy  ( and I like convenience) when people quote things out of context because they only know the verse but haven’t read the book they are getting the verse from as a whole?

the introduction of chapters and verses might be convenient but it takes something away from the scriptures as a whole book

i can bet before chapters and verses those individuals knew their whole scriptures from back to front and would probably scoff at verses and chapters today?

decisions were made and I’m sure it was in people’s best interests but it also invited plenty of misinformation and misinterpretation by not seeing the whole picture before pulling out their ‘ go to ‘ verse without the context

my opinion on it anyway

SHALOM❤️

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/15/2022 at 11:10 AM, Open7 said:

I’ve been reading Leviticus recently and looking at the way the chapters have been divided, I have wondered if they have been done in an odd way? Is this something that has been talked about much?

Hi @Open7

I agree.  Sometimes the chapter and verse numbers can be very jarring or even misleading at times.  A famous example is Isaiah 53, which really should begin back at 52:13 - but often people just start at 53:1 instead.

That said, they can greatly aid us for locating passages in Scripture when sharing!  This was something that the Disciples and the Messiah could only do by quoting a short line from a passage, and hoping the reader/listener would understand the fuller context of the passage. But to only hear the quoted text itself alone is to have a narrow view of message.

However, some have got in the habit of just quoting chapter and verse numbers and then using them like points of law to beat up others with and argue over as if they were Top Trump Cards.  For such people, the numbering system is deadly as it helps facilitate this kind of mindset and approach and it doesn't lead to a good place.

Nevertheless, if used as reference points only, the chapters and verse numbers are incedibly handy - as long as we remember they are just reference numbers and not bullet points!

Peace.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 1/15/2022 at 11:10 AM, Open7 said:

E.g it looks like the first 7 verses of lev 6 would have been better to be included at the end of lev 5. I assume there’s lots of other examples

Well read, it means you have potential skill to be a theologian. the problem is theologians are not spiritually inspired, they see the bible as a series of stories, and get no spiritual value or insight into scripture. I am not saying you personally but typically this is what happens. The spirituality we get matters most not knowing the books or the order or even context of stories per se.