IGNORED

has anyone here noticed how frustrating Google's and Youtube's search algorithm are?

Equippers

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

47 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

If you're into using an Android smartphone or tablet, here's some advice:

Download the DuckDuckGo privacy browser from the Google play store and use it exclusively. Google is sneaky. Google is not our friend, and yet they offer the DDG app. Good! 

Google owns the Android OS and so they've engineered their scheme to track whatever you do on your Android device regardless of the application in question. This is data mining, an enterprise which empowers/informs their behavior modification algorithms, giving Google insight into your habits so they may better to learn how to manipulate you. This isn't necessarily about power or control, my friends. Nope. It's all about money and the enhanced acquisition of it. 

Think of the old-fashioned carnival barker. In days of old, advertisers understood the value of the "hook" whereby their chances of capturing the interest of their mark (us) are increased exponentially. The barker issues the challenge (sets the hook) and the mark takes the bait. 

Data mining makes it possible for the carnival barker to modify their hook and bait to take advantage of your interests (and also what doesn't interest you). The cyberspace carnival barker can cast millions of hooks custom-tailored to each mark that passes by. 

The DDG privacy browser blocks snooping by other applications and the Android OS, effectively thumbing a nose at the modern age carnival barker. Is DDG foolproof? No, but any impediment we can toss in the way of our good friend Google is a good thing. Google and Facebook want to know everything you do on your phone/tablet. $$$Ka-ching$$$ for them and their clients. 

Toss a fly in their soup. :D

Theres a loophole...if you dont want google tracking you-you can root the phone. Which, unlike apple, is completely legal. From their you can change the source code to stop the tracking, or unistall it and install another linux variant. All legal because while google owns android-the name and the specific applications, it doesnt own the source code-linux.

• Thanks 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

2 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Theres a loophole...if you dont want google tracking you-you can root the phone. Which, unlike apple, is completely legal. From their you can change the source code to stop the tracking, or unistall it and install another linux variant. All legal because while google owns android-the name and the specific applications, it doesnt own the source code-linux.

I've heard about that but never considered it. Good advice, brother. It might be worth doing so I never have to lay eyes on another wretched pumpkin spice tea ad again. 

I shall ponder this... :39:

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

14 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Sounds worth the effort, as I consider my privacy of value, not to be given away/stolen.
Can you provide a link to the 'method to root the phone'. I probably do not have the savvy, but one of my kids probably does.
When configuring my old 5G cell with a technician, I recall her having mentioned something about root in regards to the phone.
I also have access to many web sites that have been banned from fakebook - twitter etc. Our new underground news source.
The social networks along with google have been fined into the billions over in European countries who don't put up with
their illegal methods for their algorithm spy methods.
 Here in the US, many senators/congressmen  are gearing up to challenge/fine them through the courts.
There is so much 'pay off' hitting congressional pockets we still seem to be dragging our feet.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 hours ago, Sower said:

Sounds worth the effort, as I consider my privacy of value, not to be given away/stolen.
Can you provide a link to the 'method to root the phone'. I probably do not have the savvy, but one of my kids probably does.
When configuring my old 5G cell with a technician, I recall her having mentioned something about root in regards to the phone.
I also have access to many web sites that have been banned from fakebook - twitter etc. Our new underground news source.
The social networks along with google have been fined into the billions over in European countries who don't put up with
their illegal methods for their algorithm spy methods.
 Here in the US, many senators/congressmen  are gearing up to challenge/fine them through the courts.
There is so much 'pay off' hitting congressional pockets we still seem to be dragging our feet.

If you google "how to root my blank phone" it should give you step by step directions on how to do this-and thats the best option, because believe it or not not all android is the same. Different versions of android have slightly different methods of doing it, and the process can vary manufacturer to manufacturer because they tweak the OS to their specific use and hardware. This is less of an issue then it used to be but still something to be aware of, as like jailbreaking an iphone, if you mess up rooting your phone you stand a chance of bricking it.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/5/2022 at 6:48 AM, Marathoner said:

No problems here, but then I'm experienced at plumbing cyberspace for information. 

Google isn't a monopoly, my friend; their search engine isn't the only one out there. Have you heard of DuckDuckGo? I highly recommend DDG, an excellent privacy-oriented search engine. DDG is one of many alternatives to Google's search engine. 

The same applies to YouTube. Google acquired the entire ball of wax and using their trademark "behavior modification" system, have maintained the illusion that YouTube is the same as it has always been which, of course, isn't true. Why did Google do this? To retain as many YouTube users as possible, of course. Ah, but YT is a streaming service and as such, it isn't the only streaming service out there. The internet is overflowing with streaming services. 

My primary issue with Google revolves around their behavior modification regime. Unethical in my estimation. When we get down to it, the internet is a smoke and mirrors scheme. If you're able to see behind the curtain so to speak, then you'll be able to side-step behavior modification gimmicks which seek to influence your clicks. Clicks?

Yep, clicks. Clicks = money. Unfortunate but true. 

hi thanks for the recommendation, I will try the engine you talk about

Yes, you are right, there are other streaming services, but none of them seem have have the amount of videos available like on google and the videos themselves don't provide the same quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

21 minutes ago, Equippers said:

hi thanks for the recommendation, I will try the engine you talk about

Yes, you are right, there are other streaming services, but none of them seem have have the amount of videos available like on google and the videos themselves don't provide the same quality.

DuckDuckGo is pretty good. I especially like how their results don't include advertisements which organizations pay Google handsomely to place at the top of their search results. None of that with DDG. :) 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

DuckDuckGo is pretty good. I especially like how their results don't include advertisements which organizations pay Google handsomely to place at the top of their search results. None of that with DDG. :) 

I could definitely use less junk on the top of mine search result.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 3/4/2022 at 11:55 AM, OneLight said:

t could be worse, and I sure do wish there was a Christian alternative to both.

GodTube is an online video sharing platform which strives to have Christian content. It is owned by Salem Web Network, the Internet division of Salem Communications. GodTube has a variety of video selections including music videos, comedy, children, animals, sports, news and inspirational.

• Thanks 1