Guest Jesus-lives

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Where does the Scripture say that humans will suffer eternally in hell?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." (Rev 20:15)

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name." (Revelation 14:11)

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (Revelation 20:10)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I would point out that 20:15 simply says they are cast into the lake of fire, nothing about 'eternity' there. 20:10 says the devil is cast into the lake of fire and shall be tormented forever and ever.

The only one you've got, it appears (I'll have to go to my Bible later and look it up to be sure), is 14:11.

Gotta' go walk the dogs; they're whining and pawing at the door!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leonard, 14:11 is only talking about those who worship the beast and/or take his mark. Not the every day sinner that has not been given the task of that decision. The context of the subject there is that those who worship the beast have the same punishment of Satan and must also withstand the full wrath of God in the end.

But whether or not is is eternal punishment, or punishment for eternity, my fondest hope is to not be among either.... :noidea:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The goats also go to the place of the devil.

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

It isn't only limited to those who take the mark in the GT.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ephraim81

I agree that God gives us the agency to choose Him or sin. However, Hell IS NOT the final destination for the wicked; "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the Second death(Rev. 20:14)." Hell is not a good Place to go, but there is a chance for release; "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God: and the books were opened; and another book was opened which was the book of life; and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, ACCORDING TO THEIR WORKS. And the sea gave up the deadwhich were in it; and ddeath and hell delivered up the dead which were in them; and they were judged every man ACCORDING TO THEIR WORKS (Rev. 20:12-13)." This is The Second Ressurection, or The Ressurection of the Unjust. Christ and the Pure in Heart, take part in the Ressurection of the Just. This is what he was reffering to when he was takinf to Mary the sister of Lazurus. Jesus himself has the keys to hell and shares the gospel with those that are there Rev. 1:18; Eph. 4:10; I Peter 3: 18-20, 4: 5-6.

Jesus did not die for everyone, but those who took upon themselves his name, and pick up thier cross and follow him (Matt, 10: 33); and become as little children (Mar. 10: 13) are not his.

Guest saved*by*grace

I agree. Right now the people in hell are just suffering, and being tormented. But the greatest torment of hell is the seperation from God. Then, it is only after the Great White Throne judgement are people sent to the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:10 pretty much says that Satan and all those who haven't submitted to God by the end of the Millennium will be cast into the lake of fire. There Satan and the wicked will be punished for their rebellion. In addition to punishing, the lake of fire will also test, prove, and refine those in it. However, this is not "eternal" as we understand it.

To verify this, look at the final phrase "forever and ever." this phrase is translated from the Greek eis tous aionas ton aionon, literally meaning "into the ages of the ages." The Greek nouns aionas and aionon are plural forms of the Greek aion, which simply means an "eon" or "age." This word refers to an indefinite period of time; however, it not necessarily eternity.

Whether or not this may be true, I don't know. The Bible can be interpreted many ways. But if suffering in the lake of fire doesn't last for eternity, than maybe there is hope for the unbelievers, but the best way to make sure you are never tormented is to accept the Lord Jesus Christ into your heart.

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
I have been thinking recently about this topic and have not been able to come up with a reason why God should send anyone to ETERNAL suffering in Hell. :blink:

This problem has been troubling me because I was recently asked this question and could not find an answer. I would greatly appreciate some help with this issue.

HI !

this site may help you: (link deleted)

I like the fact that you could not find an answer. It shows the true you, the heart.

Edited by 12qw

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I like the fact that you could not find an answer. It shows the true you, the heart.

I think the OP has seen the answers already via Scripture.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

3 pages, and the most obvious reason has not yet been offered:

Because God can not live along side with sin!

It is impossible for God to dwell with sinners. We are sinners through Adam, and in simple terms, we cannot dwell with God without being washed of our sin. God requires the shedding of blood for the repentance of sin. The blood, that is, of an innocent. In the OT, this blood came from the innocent and pure (unspotted) lamb. Jesus came to become that Lamb. By accepting His work on the Cross, we become clean in God's eye. Therefore, we are worthy to be with Him for eternity.

Jesus will return, and the old Earth will fall away, and Jesus will usher in the New Earth and eventually, reign forever.

This New Earth cannot be inhabited by sin. All who have accepted Christ will be washed of their sin and be worthy to dwell forever with God.

Those that have not accepted Christ will forever dwell apart from God, in Hell.

Now, admittedly, there is a bunch more that goes on between Jesus' return and the establishment of the New Heaven and Earth, and much of that is what causes most of the debates between humans, but I trust God enough to look at the big picture: God has set up a way for us to be clean before Him, so that we can spend eternity with Him.

Why? Because it is impossible for God to dwell with sin.

Simple as that.

He has set up a process that is so simple, yet I fear most will never come to terms with it.

God cannot abide with sin. If you are not clean through Jesus, then you are not clean in God's eye, and will not abide with Him.

Why else would He offer us His Son? If it was possible for us to do it on our own, He wouldn't have had the need to send Jesus.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is simple: it is because God cannot dwell along side with sin, for in Him, there is no sin. One day, however far away from today it may be, there will be a new Heaven and a new Earth, and God will establish His Kingdom forever. In this Kingdom can no sin live.

Sin and death will be defeated (actually, through Christ, they already have!), and those not covered in the Blood of Christ (written in the Book of Life?) will not live with God, but will be sent to hell.

Is that is, or is that ain't what the Bible is here to tell us?

Thanks,

t.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

This has also troubled me, and still does. Personally, I don't want to share all of my views on this subject because they are still developing/ they are incomplete; however, I will say one thing I believe for sure---that God is love, and it is not His desire nor His will that anyone should be a part from Him.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/03/1986

When God created man he gave us free will. It is our decision to follow God and his teachings, and to accept him into our hearts. On the flipside, for those who do not believe that is their decision. Not believing is a choice; God has provided us with everything we need to become a believer. What kind of world would this be if God created Earth populated by a bunch of humans and forced them to love him? What kind of love would that be? It is far more satisfying to allow people to have the choice.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

that God is love, and it is not His desire nor His will that anyone should be a part from Him.

Very true, and I believe this, too.

But, the sad fact is, many have gone to their grave without Him, and many more will go without Him, as well.

t.

Guest to da big poppa in da sky
I have been thinking recently about this topic and have not been able to come up with a reason why God should send anyone to ETERNAL suffering in Hell. :)

This problem has been troubling me because I was recently asked this question and could not find an answer. I would greatly appreciate some help with this issue.

God gives us the oppurtunity to ask God forgiveness. He has given mankind the oppurtunity to come to Him. If we don't take that opp., we are denying Him in our lives. Although it hurts Him, people who go to Hell are people who are denying him. why should people who deny Him be with Him forever. Please reply... have more to say.

Edited by to da big poppa in da sky