• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

12 hours ago, Josheb said:

NO, IT IS NOT RIGHT OR OKAY!

If this op is not a bad joke then please tell someone in a position of authority immediately. If you were coming to see me professionally I, as a mandated reporter, would be calling the local Child Protective Services (CPS) to minute you left my office. Not only are you way too old for corporal punishment but the ever-present threat of assault with a belt is psychological abuse. I might ask you some questions such as has a "spanking" (it's not a spanking if a belt is being used) ever resulted in welts? bruises? lacerations? Has any corporal punishment ever resulted in the need for medical care (physician or hospital)? These are all undeniable evidence of abuse. If a school counselor or church clergy does nothing, then call your local CPS yourself. Tell your mother to stop, and tell her it is time for her to find alternative age appropriate means of parenting. 

I am not a left-wing snowflake opposed to spanking. 

Neither am I kidding. Tell someone

Neither am I a left winger or opposed to " spanking"  but like Josheb I also think" IF this is not some kind of bad joke?" Then there is a problem here!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

Upon further thought, I would agree with Josheb and Kwik - talk to an adult you trust about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

On 4/5/2022 at 4:10 PM, Boy15Boy said:

I'm 15 and my mom keeps a leather belt in her bedroom ready to give me corporal punishment when she thinks its necessary. She will also ground me and give me chores as alternative punishments. My question is is it right for my mom to spank me as a punishment? She does it very hard also. I know that a child must obey its parents and disobedience to the parent should be punished and so when i disobey or behave badly i deserve to get punished . But i personally don't feel like getting the belt is a useful punishment, i mean it hurts so in that way it does what its meant to do, punish. But i don't think it really teaches me anything. At least when i'm grounded i have time to think and consider how to do better, so being grounded seems like its more helpful. And when i have chores i am doing something useful and getting exercise. But the belt is just pain with no real purpose other than the pain itself and because i think she enjoys doing it. I always get the feeling she is quite excited when she brings the belt out to beat me.

I do not support spanking or using a belt for correcting. There are other ways to correct a son or daughter. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

2 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Mention this to one of your school teachers or high school guidance counselors and thats a good start....

Yes,Boy15Boy.......your teachers are obliged,by law to follow through with your report

Which of the following are mandated reporters?

Those required by law to file are considered mandated reporters. These professionals can include health care providers, mental health providers, crisis counselors, school personnel, social workers, day care providers and law enforcement personnel among others.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I take care advisedly to note that there are sadists who brutalize children with corporal punishment... excessive blows with belts, switches, hair brushes, fists, palms, etc.

People like that belong in prison.

Those are the extremes and I do not support them!

Need I remind us all of the brutality our Lord received just before his crucifixion?

BUT!

Spanking for the sake of discipline is a divine mandate.

Discipline is more than just punishment. Punishment yes, but also life lesson learning / making certain bad actions, habits, or mistakes are not repeated.

My parents spanked me as a child growing up. Always with the purpose of discipline. Always with a belt, never a fist.

To the OP I suggest speaking with your Mom (not at the moment of discipline / punishment) about how you feel. But understand she is the Mom. When you are the

Dad, you do what you see is best.

You may not be the hard head I was. Some kids can be dealt with by grounding or chores. Others like me had to get a tanned fanny to get my attention, keep me from stupidity, carelessness, whatever.

Some kids only need a stern talking to by their parents.

It doesn't seem fair to siblings that one gets clobbered and the other a stern tongue lashing... but we are individuals.

There is also merit in doling out equal punishment for the same infraction.

Being a parent is less fun than you may think.

And unless I miss my guess, your Mom does not enjoy spanking you.

If you have proof otherwise then that's another matter. Update us on your situation.

Praying for you both!