Raven

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I believe that a great church is one that challenges me to open to the Truth, to see my own truth, be truthful, and teaches me to face all my fears. Normally, most people would avoid being challenged, in this way, from a community. Most prefer to be always liked and supported.

So, what do you think makes for a great church?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

27 minutes ago, Raven said:

I believe that a great church is one that challenges me to open to the Truth, to see my own truth, be truthful, and teaches me to face all my fears. Normally, most people would avoid being challenged, in this way, from a community. Most prefer to be always liked and supported.

You do know that the church is not a building but the people.  The second letter in Hebrew represents a tent or tabernacle. God is to dwell in us. We are the temple of God. "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" 1 Corinthians 3:16

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,976
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Raven said:

One that is humble, like our LORD.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JohnR7 said:

You do know that the church is not a building but the people.  The second letter in Hebrew represents a tent or tabernacle. God is to dwell in us. We are the temple of God. "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" 1 Corinthians 3:16

Yes.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Aspects of a good church

• Bible teaching and preaching focused, light on personal opinions  from the pulpit
  • One where praise and worship is part of the process and not an add on
  • One where people are taught that giving is as we purpose of the heart and not a requirement
  • One with a lot of groups that specialize in a social structure  ie Youth Group, Singles Group, Young Adult Group, Young Married Group, Marrieds, Senior, Addiction et all  where no one falls through the cracks. Small in home bible study groups
  • A Congregation that is taught and practices being open and accepting to people. So that people are not ingored, rejected or scorned due to physical appearance
  • One that does what the bible says the ministry is for: Ephesians 4:12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the [e]edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

One that loves the Lord our God with all their heart, soul, strength and mind, and their neighbor as themselves. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

First of all pray for God to guide and direct you in choosing a Church that God is leading you to. Be sure to read the Churches statement of belief so you can select a good solid Church that preaches to true literal Word of God. The Church should be welcoming to all. The Church should be committed for everyone to grow in Christ. Visit the Church to see if this is a Church you would be comfortable worshiping at every Sunday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

9 hours ago, Raven said:

Amen brother!

This is exactly the difference between the two churches I attended this weekend!

My "current" church has almost completely avoided discussing controversial real world topics for nearly a year now.

Meanwhile the new church I visited addressed important real world issues head on!

And fundamental to truth speaking is a sense of courage and/or innate sense of righteousness. Which means my "current" church staff lacks these qualities. Very sad to realize this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, OneLight said:

One that loves the Lord our God with all their heart, soul, strength and mind, and their neighbor as themselves. 

I find that many churches fall short on verse Ephesians 2:9 not by works, so that no one (church) can boast. (My parenthesis).

6 hours ago, missmuffet said:

First of all pray for God to guide and direct you in choosing a Church that God is leading you to. Be sure to read the Churches statement of belief so you can select a good solid Church that preaches to true literal Word of God. The Church should be welcoming to all. The Church should be committed for everyone to grow in Christ. Visit the Church to see if this is a Church you would be comfortable worshiping at every Sunday. 

Thank you missmuffet. I have not yet found such a church; though I love to worship God in fellowship (with friends).

Some churches appear to be a great church, but often when speaking to the leader, all sorts of discrepancies surface which irk me. As a result, I am a hermit which goes to an empty church (non-service times) as a place to worship privately.

Fellowship with individuals has been the raven's bread and meat for my faith. I seem to grow from it best.

However, I have been wondering if there really is a great church. Or can a church simply be a small gathering _ which makes it great because it is small.