• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Mick70 said:

And incidentally in a TV documentary after the Falklands War, the then US Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger said "We would have sent a carrier if we'd been asked", which would seem to indicate that Maggie Thatcher never asked anybody for help.

Perhaps she was too proud and wanted to keep it an all-British show, I don't know, in which case history can judge her.

Here's an article on US support (apparently written in 1984).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Content Per Day:  2.47
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Mick70 said:

And incidentally in a TV documentary after the Falklands War, the then US Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger said "We would have sent a carrier if we'd been asked", which would seem to indicate that Maggie Thatcher never asked anybody for help.

Perhaps she was too proud and wanted to keep it an all-British show, I don't know, in which case history can judge her.

History says it was a brittish victory. Anyways, I'm sure Israel is taking notice of what's going on in Ukraine. 

Edited by Shilohsfoal

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, teddyv said:

Here's an article on US support (apparently written in 1984).

Thanks, the US supplied lots of military aid just like they're doing for Ukraine today.

However in his book 'Sea Harrier Over the Falklands' written in 1990, Sea Harrier pilot Commander Sharkey Ward says that the US didn't give some of it away free, notably Sidewinder missiles which Britain had to pay for.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I think we sell military equipment to places that can afford it, give it to those who can't.  

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  227
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Regarding the Falklands War.The Islands are still part of the British Empire, so I think Aunt Maggie possibly "saw it as an internal domestic issue" and decided to bring in the "iron rod" to maintain the Colonial status quo.Outside help was not called for, as the Falkland issue did not really directly impact the security of other British Allies as I see it.A situation somewhat different in the tensions between NATO vs Russia, where Ukraine is a sovereign state and "Greedy Naughty Putin" needs to be put on his place and shown that 40 Nations of this world-NATO members or not- will; and cannot not, tolerante mere unjustified annexation of any sovereign country in this world.And this message needs to be understood and if necessary felt by other "Greedy Naughty Leaders" who think otherwise.