• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  359
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Strict Machine said:

i don't think this is necessarily just about money, Jesus also says what good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet lose his soul?  Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?  (Matt 16:26, i think).  its pretty easy to get sucked into the world system, many real believers have left the faith because of greed, but this can also be status in the world system or anything that takes God's place.  success in the world can be like a drug addiction.

Correct!

2 hours ago, Don19 said:

Riches in the Bible refers to the currency of this world - i.e., good works; i.e., all efforts of the flesh at righteousness. It's been pointed out that riches were seen as a sign of God's approval in the times of Jesus. This is true. And so this metaphor is perfect for today, in the world of what purports to be Christianity, where good works are seen as a sign of approval from God, when that approval from God is actually lacking.

Hence why Jesus said: "So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:33

...and Matthew 13:44-46:

44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:

46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

What this means is you cannot enter the kingdom of God while believing you are forgiven only for some sins, but not others. What's the most horrible sin you can imagine? I'll leave it you to imagine. Well, guess what. That one, if you were to commit it, is one you must believe you are forgiven for, along with all the others.

Well said!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.25
  • Days Won:  2

22 hours ago, AdHoc said:

I think B-B is on the right track.

The Law of Moses promised wealth if kept. The man in the narrative had kept the Law and had become wealthy. His wealth was legal and a God-given reward. His wealth was proof that he was God-fearing and obedient. The disciples were shocked when a man who was obviously vindicated by God could hardly enter the Kingdom. The question was, if an obviously Law abiding man hardly enters the kingdom, WHO THEN could make it?

The Law and the prophets were until John Baptist. Since then the Kingdom is taught. The fundamental difference is that Israel were t manage service to God, manage their morality before the Nations, and manage the Land. For this they were almost instantly rewarded. But the Christian is different. He must serve God and display God's morality with a view to being rewarded later. It is called DEFERRED Judgment. The Lord has not yet set His Kingdom up and Christians are aspirant kings. We are under training for the day when Christ will wrest the earth's government from the Gentiles. The philosophy of the Law is obey now and be rewarded. The philosophy of the Kingdom is; PROVE YOURSELF A GOOD STEWARD OF GOD'S THINGS AND HE WILL MAKE YOU A KING LATER. Extra money is not wrong or sinful. But will you use your resources in favor of God's Name and in favor of those who have little. Such are the kings of the Millennium.

You have certainly explained the meaning/purpose of the Scripture given in the opening post, a lot better than I could have @AdHoc 😊

Edited by B-B
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  6,629
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  2

On 5/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, kenny2212 said:

Of course, I know God doesn't need our money.

Psalm 50:8-12 (NKJV) - 

8 I will not rebuke you for your sacrifices
Or your burnt offerings,
Which are continually before Me.
9 I will not take a bull from your house,
Nor goats out of your folds.
10 For every beast of the forest is Mine,
And the cattle on a thousand hills.
11 I know all the birds of the mountains,
And the wild beasts of the field are Mine.

12 “If I were hungry, I would not tell you;
For the world is Mine, and all its fullness.

But God had to ask for offerings when he wanted the Tabernacle built. God won't rain money down from heaven.

Exodus 25:1-8 (NKJV) - 

1 Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 2 “Speak to the children of Israel, that they bring Me an offering. From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering. 3 And this is the offering which you shall take from them: gold, silver, and bronze; 4 blue, purple, and scarlet thread, fine linen, and goats’ hair; 5 ram skins dyed red, badger skins, and acacia wood; 6 oil for the light, and spices for the anointing oil and for the sweet incense; 7 onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod and in the breastplate. 8 And let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them.

“Speak to the children of Israel, that they bring Me an offering.

From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering.

Malachi 3:6-12 (NKJV) - 

“For I am the Lord, I do not change;

Therefore you are not consumed,  O sons of Jacob.
Yet from the days of your fathers
You have gone away from My ordinances
And have not kept themReturn to Me, and I will return to you,”
Says the Lord of hosts. 

“But you said,
‘In what way shall we return?’

“Will a man rob God?
Yet you have robbed Me!
But you say,
‘In what way have we robbed You?’
In tithes and offerings.
You are cursed with a curse,
For you have robbed Me,
Even this whole nation.
10Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,”
Says the Lord of hosts,
“If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.

11 “And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes,
So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground,
Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,”
Says the Lord of hosts;
12 “And all nations will call you blessed,
For you will be a delightful land,”
Says the Lord of hosts.

Still not a demand. And there are no Levites anymore. That tithe is no longer needed. 

Acts 10:4 (NKJV) - 

And when he observed him, he was afraid, and said, “What is it, lord?”

So he said to him, “Your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God.

Willing giving to those in need, not to a religious organization.  

6 hours ago, Diaste said:

“Speak to the children of Israel, that they bring Me an offering.

From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering.

Still not a demand. And there are no Levites anymore. That tithe is no longer needed. 

Willing giving to those in need, not to a religious organization.  

Genesis 14:17-20, Luke 11:42, Hebrews 7:1-10

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Remember in Rev 3 Jesus only rebukes the rich church in the last letter, because all they had was money, not faith or obedience to God.  If it was all about getting as much as you can or dying with the most toys Jesus would have been praising these people for their great faith, instead he tells them he will remove their lampstand from its place

6 hours ago, Strict Machine said:

Remember in Rev 3 Jesus only rebukes the rich church in the last letter, because all they had was money, not faith or obedience to God.  If it was all about getting as much as you can or dying with the most toys Jesus would have been praising these people for their great faith, instead he tells them he will remove their lampstand from its place

True!