• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  359
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 19:23-26 (NKJV) - 

23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

I think Jesus meant and said more variety of riches than just monetary riches. If he didn't, the disciples wouldn't have generalized they way they did. See the disciples said - "Who then can be saved?" 

They should have said "Which rich man then be saved?"

Besides everybody strives to be rich (although not everybody will be).

What do you think?

Was it only monetary riches Jesus was talking about in this passage?

Edited by kenny2212

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Content Per Day:  2.47
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, kenny2212 said:

Matthew 19:23-26 (NKJV) - 

23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

I think Jesus meant and said more than monetary riches. If he didn't, the disciples wouldn't have generalized they way they did. See the disciples said - "Who then can be saved?" 

They should have said "Which rich man then be saved?"

Besides everybody strives to be rich (although not everybody will be).

What do you think?

Is it only monetary riches Jesus was talking about in this passage?

https://biblehub.com/mark/10-29.htm

https://biblehub.com/mark/10-30.htm

https://biblehub.com/mark/10-31.htm

I believe it is hard for a man to give up all that he has to follow Christ. A man with the Holy ghost can and many will. 

There are those who will be last (at the end of this age) who will give up everything including thier own lives to follow the Lamb. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,171
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It doesn't take a lot of time with The Holy Spirit indwelling and influencing the mind that a system of rocks, metal and paper is not worth more than God, lives of people, food...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  2

I read somewhere, possibly in a commentary, that apparently, in those days/in that culture/belief system, wealth was considered to be proof/evidence of God's approval. Folks who had wealth could give to those who were poor/lacking (e.g. giving alms). It might have been assumed that the wealthy/rich were the most likely candidates for heaven. This might help explain the surprise/shock of the disciples, by their response "Who then can be saved?" .

The Lord showed them that their ideas/notions were faulty, and that no one could earn enough favour/gain enough merit,  to be admitted into heaven.

Edited by B-B
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  6,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.99

It's not the riches, it's ones perception and treatment of wealth. 

It's not the money, it's the love of money that's the root of all evil. 

Can't serve God and Mammon at the same time.

Edited by Diaste
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Diaste said:

It's not the riches, it's ones perception and treatment of wealth. 

It's not the money, it's the love of money that's the root of all evil. 

Can't serve God and Mammon at the same time.

I didn't say anything about the love of money. I asked a question. I asked - "Was it only monetary riches Jesus was talking about in this passage?"

Money is not bad in itself; if it is used for the work of God.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  6,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.99

8 minutes ago, kenny2212 said:

I didn't say anything about the love of money. I asked a question. I asked - "Was it only monetary riches Jesus was talking about in this passage?"

He wasn't speaking to wealth at all, He was speaking to the condition of the heart and one's perception of wealth. A 'rich man' isn't the same as a 'man who possesses riches'. 

I think about the rich man and Lazarus, the young rich man who couldn't sell his possessions to feed the poor. 

I guess I don't know what you mean by 'monetary riches'. In my mind if you can trade something with perceived value [cash, gold, jewels, etc.] for something else of perceived value then it's a monetary transaction. Or if it's something that could be sold for cash easily it's still nearly the same as money; art, cars, land, stocks, bonds, gold, etc.

Are you differentiating between cash and property? 

I think it's all under the same category as 'riches'. 

45 minutes ago, Diaste said:

He wasn't speaking to wealth at all, He was speaking to the condition of the heart and one's perception of wealth. A 'rich man' isn't the same as a 'man who possesses riches'. 

I think about the rich man and Lazarus, the young rich man who couldn't sell his possessions to feed the poor. 

I guess I don't know what you mean by 'monetary riches'. In my mind if you can trade something with perceived value [cash, gold, jewels, etc.] for something else of perceived value then it's a monetary transaction. Or if it's something that could be sold for cash easily it's still nearly the same as money; art, cars, land, stocks, bonds, gold, etc.

Are you differentiating between cash and property? 

I think it's all under the same category as 'riches'. 

What Jesus was saying in a nutshell is "Use your money for God"

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Content Per Day:  2.47
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, kenny2212 said:

No what Jesus was saying is. 

https://biblehub.com/matthew/19-21.htm

If you want to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me. 

He didn't say anything about using money for God. God doesn't need your money. 

Edited by Shilohsfoal

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,028
  • Content Per Day:  3.33

On 5/20/2022 at 5:43 PM, B-B said:

I read somewhere, possibly in a commentary, that apparently, in those days/in that culture/belief system, wealth was considered to be proof/evidence of God's approval. Folks who had wealth could give to those who were poor/lacking (e.g. giving alms). It might have been assumed that the wealthy/rich were the most likely candidates for heaven. This might help explain the surprise/shock of the disciples, by their response "Who then can be saved?" .

The Lord showed them that their ideas/notions were faulty, and that no one could earn enough favour/gain enough merit,  to be admitted into heaven.

5 hours ago, kenny2212 said:

4 hours ago, kenny2212 said:

I think B-B is on the right track.

The Law of Moses promised wealth if kept. The man in the narrative had kept the Law and had become wealthy. His wealth was legal and a God-given reward. His wealth was proof that he was God-fearing and obedient. The disciples were shocked when a man who was obviously vindicated by God could hardly enter the Kingdom. The question was, if an obviously Law abiding man hardly enters the kingdom, WHO THEN could make it?

The Law and the prophets were until John Baptist. Since then the Kingdom is taught. The fundamental difference is that Israel were t manage service to God, manage their morality before the Nations, and manage the Land. For this they were almost instantly rewarded. But the Christian is different. He must serve God and display God's morality with a view to being rewarded later. It is called DEFERRED Judgment. The Lord has not yet set His Kingdom up and Christians are aspirant kings. We are under training for the day when Christ will wrest the earth's government from the Gentiles. The philosophy of the Law is obey now and be rewarded. The philosophy of the Kingdom is; PROVE YOURSELF A GOOD STEWARD OF GOD'S THINGS AND HE WILL MAKE YOU A KING LATER. Extra money is not wrong or sinful. But will you use your resources in favor of God's Name and in favor of those who have little. Such are the kings of the Millennium.