IGNORED

ARE NON CHRISTIANS LIABLE FOR THE CURSES IN DEUTERONOMY 28?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I’m reading Deuteronomy 28, which is taking about blessings and curses for Israel, dependant on whether or not they abide by his law.

I get that for those in Jesus, God does not punish us as this was all poured out on Jesus, though he will bring about correction to us.

But what about non Christians? The curses in this chapter for disobedience, are they liable for this?

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Hi @Open7

What does your heart and reason tell you? 

Would you have one set of house rules for your children and another set for your adopted children? 

Peace

T

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Hi @Open7

What does your heart and reason tell you? 

Would you have one set of house rules for your children and another set for your adopted children? 

Peace

T

Yes I would have different rules. But what I’m not sure about, is that the curses are so brutal, that I don’t see this level of curse being afflicted on non Christians, maybe some, but not many, which makes me think this is not happening to non Christian’s, or is it? Then again most don’t even know the law in the first place

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

40 minutes ago, Open7 said:

Yes I would have different rules.

You would?? Wow, that's not very cool. I think that would cause division in the house. 

41 minutes ago, Open7 said:

I don’t see this level of curse being afflicted on non Christians

Well, going back to the analogy of your children and adopted children - would you punish the neighbours children according to your house rules? Surely not. 😊

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

2 hours ago, Open7 said:

I’m reading Deuteronomy 28, which is taking about blessings and curses for Israel, dependant on whether or not they abide by his law.

I get that for those in Jesus, God does not punish us as this was all poured out on Jesus, though he will bring about correction to us.

But what about non Christians? The curses in this chapter for disobedience, are they liable for this?

Thanks

Most questions about scripture can be answered by reading the context.

What is the context of Dueteonomy, who is it addressed to and what are the conditions

It is written to, is addressing the nation of Israel. It does not address the surrounding nations.

Jesus dealt with everybodies sins, ALL of them. The OT law identifes sinners but their judgement is based on whether they have accepted Jesus as theire saviour.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  6,874
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

3 hours ago, Open7 said:

Thanks

Deuteronomy is laying out the foundations for the ancient people of Israel and their theocratic system. Christ fulfilled the law and made a new way. Certainly many things that were sin then still are now, but we no longer live under the Mosaic law system.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, BK1110 said:

Deuteronomy is laying out the foundations for the ancient people of Israel and their theocratic system. Christ fulfilled the law and made a new way. Certainly many things that were sin then still are now, but we no longer live under the Mosaic law system.

As Christians we no longer live under this system, but does the law not apply to non Christians?

2 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

You would?? Wow, that's not very cool. I think that would cause division in the house. 

Well, going back to the analogy of your children and adopted children - would you punish the neighbours children according to your house rules? Surely not. 😊

Ah sorry, I read your question wrong, yes I would have the same rules for the adopted

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,144
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

No. The Law was given only to Israel of the flesh. The Law was never given to gentiles; this distinction is important and illustrated in the testimony of scripture. It's important because the Lord didn't judge the gentile according to the Law which was never given to them.

Not in days of old, nor after that substance of the shadow which was the Law had come, and this substance is Jesus Christ. For the Jew in Christ Jesus, he joins Him in death and as the apostle instructs us in the book of Romans, the Law only has dominion over a man so long as he lives. The Jew who dies with Christ is therefore no longer under the dominion of the Law because he died.

As for the gentile who was never given the Law, he joins the Jew in the inheritance promised to the seed of Abraham which is Jesus Christ. This was hard for Jews to understand which is why the apostle refers to us as "wild branches." We are grafted into the Vine of God by the adoption through Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile in the Son of God.

We are saved, born anew, and receive the adoption as sons and daughters through Jesus Christ, not by works of the Law. So to answer your question, the curses promised to violators of the Law are only for those under its dominion. This does not mean that gentiles of old were not held accountable by the Lord for their trespasses, because we know they are.

Now that the substance has come in the flesh, there is no other way to the Father except through His Son whom He sent. Beware of those who seek to subject others under the curse of the Law. It's a curse because no man or woman can keep it.

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,144
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

2 hours ago, Open7 said:

Ah sorry, I read your question wrong, yes I would have the same rules for the adopted

This is true, but our Father speaks to us through His only begotten Son, whom He sent not only for the lost sheep of Jacob (Israel of the flesh) but also for the gentiles. I marvel at the lack of understanding and confusion regarding the Law, which is how some fall under the sway of false preachers who teach others to stumble as they themselves do.

The Law was never given to the world, only to the seed of Jacob. There's this notion afloat that the Law was given to all the world when it was not, and so those who were never given the Law will be judged by it. That's false teaching.

Yes, all who are in Jesus Christ are subject to the law of the Spirit of God, which we were raised up in newness of life to walk in. Remember that there is neither Jew nor Gentile in Jesus Christ, my friend, so all of us are justified by His blood in the sight of God of the Father. The Law justifies no one. :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1