IGNORED

(1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) warning Against Idolizing looking for a spouse, and Jacob & Rachel successful marriage Vs David & Michal's failed marriage

bartmac123

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  453
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

I view (1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) bible passage as a Warning for Christians to Not idolize and/or Not to worship the practice of looking for a Christian spouse.

( 1 Corinthians 7:25-31 )

25 Now concerning virgins I have no command of the Lord, but I give an opinion as one who [a]by the mercy of the Lord is trustworthy. 26 I think then that this is good in view of the present distress, that it is good for a man [c]to remain as he is.27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be released. Are you released from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But if you marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Yet such will have [d]trouble in this life, and I am trying to spare you. 29 But this I say, brethren, the time has been shortened, so that from now on those who have wives should be as though they had none; 30 and those who weep, as though they did not weep; and those who rejoice, as though they did not rejoice; and those who buy, as though they did not possess; 31 and those who use the world, as though they did not make full use of it; for the form of this world is passing away.

However, I'm trying to reconcile ( 1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) bible passage warning with the following biblical narratives

-Jacob & Rachel's Love Story, and their ensuing Relatively Happy marriage

-David & Michal's relationship, and their ensuing failed marriage

Let's start off with Jacob & Rachel's Love Story. The (Genesis 29:9-12) bible passage seems to show Jacob letting his loving emotions for Rachel get the better of him by

-being so eager to roll the stone from the mouth of the well so that Rachel's sheep can drink water

-, and how he embraced Rachel by kissing her, and lifted his voice and wept

-Furthermore, (Genesis 29:15-20) states that "Jacob served seven years for Rachel and they seemed to him but a few days because of his love for her"

Essentially, what I'm trying to emphasize in listing out the aforementioned points is that Jacob seems to have gone against (1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) bible passage Warning Against idolizing and/or worshipping the practice of looking for a spouse because Jacob let's his loving emotions for Rachel get the better of him. Moreover, despite Jacob's initial actions, he goes on to have a reasonably successful marriage with Rachel.

Genesis 29:4-12 (NASB)

4 Jacob said to them, “My brothers, where are you from?” And they said, “We are from Haran.” 5 He said to them, “Do you know Laban the son of Nahor?” And they said, “We know him.” 6 And he said to them, “Is it well with him?” And they said, “It is well, and here is Rachel his daughter coming with the sheep.” 7 He said, “Behold, it is still high day; it is not time for the livestock to be gathered. Water the sheep, and go, pasture them.” 8 But they said, “We cannot, until all the flocks are gathered, and they roll the stone from the mouth of the well; then we water the sheep.”

9 While he was still speaking with them, Rachel came with her father’s sheep, for she was a shepherdess. 10 When Jacob saw Rachel the daughter of Laban his mother’s brother, and the sheep of Laban his mother’s brother, Jacob went up and rolled the stone from the mouth of the well and watered the flock of Laban his mother’s brother. 11 Then Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted his voice and wept. 12 Jacob told Rachel that he was a [c]relative of her father and that he was Rebekah’s son, and she ran and told her father.

Genesis 29:15-20

New American Standard Bible 1995

15 Then Laban said to Jacob, “Because you are my [a]relative, should you therefore serve me for nothing? Tell me, what shall your wages be?” 16 Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel. 17 And Leah’s eyes were weak, but Rachel was beautiful of form and face. 18 Now Jacob loved Rachel, so he said, “I will serve you seven years for your younger daughter Rachel.” 19 Laban said, “It is better that I give her to you than to give her to another man; stay with me.” 20 So Jacob served seven years for Rachel and they seemed to him but a few days because of his love for her.

Now let's try to analyze David & Michal's relationship which ultimately led to a failed marriage.

David initial actions seems to be more aligned to (1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) bible passage Warning Against idolizing and/or worshipping the practice of looking for a spouse because David responds to the different marriage proposal by stating for following:

-For Merab's marriage proposal, he says, (1 Samuel 18:18) But David said to Saul, “Who am I, and what is my life or my father’s family in Israel, that I should be the king’s son-in-law?”

-And initially for Michal's marriage proposal, he says, (1 Samuel 18:23) ...But David said, “Is it trivial in your sight to become the king’s son-in-law, since I am a poor man and lightly esteemed?”

I mentioned the aforementioned points about David because David is cautious about getting married to one of the king's daughters which seems wise & cautious, and therefore, seems to align with (1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) bible passage.

However, even though David is at first cautious about Michal's marriage proposal, he ultimately accepts Michal as a wife. But, it's sad & strange that despite David's cautiousness which could be seen as being wisefully thoughtful about Michal's proposal, their marriage is a failure because we can read about the breakdown in (2 Samuel 6:16-23) bible passage that shows Michal's spite for David's dancing leaping and dancing in order to celebrate the return of the ark of The Lord. Ultimately, Michal mocks David face-to-face, and then ends up having No children for the rest of her life.

(1 Samuel 18:17-27)

17 Then Saul said to David, “Here is my older daughter Merab; I will give her to you as a wife, only be a valiant man for me and fight the Lord’s battles.” ....more scripture.............18 But David said to Saul, “Who am I, and what is my life or my father’s family in Israel, that I should be the king’s son-in-law?” 19 So it came about at the time when Merab, Saul’s daughter, should have been given to David, that she was given to Adriel the Meholathite for a wife. 20 Now Michal, Saul’s daughter, loved David. When they told Saul, the thing was agreeable [a]to him. ....more scripture.............Therefore Saul said to David, “For a second time you may be my son-in-law today.” 22 Then Saul commanded his servants, “Speak to David secretly, saying, ‘Behold, the king delights in you, and all his servants love you; now therefore, become the king’s son-in-law.’” 23 So Saul’s servants spoke these words to David. But David said, “Is it trivial in your sight to become the king’s son-in-law, since I am a poor man and lightly esteemed?” 24 The servants of Saul reported to him [c]according to these words which David spoke. 25 Saul then said, “Thus you shall say to David, ‘The king does not desire any dowry except a hundred foreskins of the Philistines, to take vengeance on the king’s enemies.’” Now Saul planned to make David fall by the hand of the Philistines. 26 When his servants told David these words, [d]it pleased David to become the king’s son-in-law. [e]Before the days had expired 27 David rose up and went, he and his men, and struck down two hundred men among the Philistines. Then David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full number to the king, that he might become the king’s son-in-law. So Saul gave him Michal his daughter for a wife.

2 Samuel 6:16-23, New American Standard Bible (NASB)

16 Then it happened as the ark of the Lord came into the city of David that Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord; and she despised him in her heart.

17 So they brought in the ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the tent which David had pitched for it; and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the Lord. 18 When David had finished offering the burnt offering and the peace offering, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts. 19 Further, he distributed to all the people, to all the multitude of Israel, both to men and women, a cake of bread and one of dates and one of raisins to each one. Then all the people departed each to his house.

20 But when David returned to bless his household, Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, “How the king of Israel distinguished himself today! He uncovered himself today in the eyes of his servants’ maids as one of the foolish ones shamelessly uncovers himself!” 21 So David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel; therefore I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will be more lightly esteemed than this and will be humble in my own eyes, but with the maids of whom you have spoken, with them I will be distinguished.” 23 Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.

To conclude, Jacob's love for Rachel leads to overemotional enthusiastic actions that suggest his emotions are getting the better of him. Jacob's actions seem to go Against the (1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) warning.

David's initial cautiousness seems to be a sign of being wisefully thoughtful, and in turn, seems to align with the (1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) warning. Sadly, David's marriage to Michal fails.

Could someone please try to give their opinions about the aforementioned intertextual scripture-interprets-scripture analysis?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

14 hours ago, bartmac123 said:

ssentially, what I'm trying to emphasize in listing out the aforementioned points is that Jacob seems to have gone against (1 Corinthians 7:25-31 ) bible passage Warning Against idolizing and/or worshipping the practice of looking for a spouse because Jacob let's his loving emotions for Rachel get the better of him. Moreover, despite Jacob's initial actions, he goes on to have a reasonably successful marriage with Rachel.

As Jacob did not have the talmud nor the new testament those commands did not apply to him.

The kiss was then and still is the universal form of greeting.

Jacob after a difficult journey had found his relatives.

He had security.

Yes on seeing Rachel he became sexualy infatuated with her and allowed himself to be taken advantage of by Laban.

David expressed himself modestly, yet was exstragavent in meeting Sauls dowry request, which was an attempt by Saul to get him killed.

His marriage failled because Michal came to dispise Davids enthusisam for serving God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

Hi, Bartmac :) I am Bill . . . pleased to meet you . . . God bless you . . . in your quote of 1 Corinthians 7:25-31 our Apostle Paul says >

"from now on those who have wives should be as though they had none" (in 1 Corinthians 7:29).

This can mean not to make an idol out of my wife, and not to make an idol out of marriage. And so I would say that this agrees with your idea that we need to not make an idol out of seeking to get married. 

Even so . . . my opinion is that we can seek to get married without making an idol out of doing this. After all, if God wants someone to get married, He Himself likely will guide the person to seek to get married. But how we do this in sharing with God is going to be different than how worldly people might seek to get married.

Now, about Jacob and Rachel . . . I would say it was God's will for Jacob to marry Rachel, but Jacob did it the wrong way. 

I would like to bring in something > Jacob had Leah also as his wife. But how did Jacob treat his wife Leah? Jacob loved Rachel but he did not love his wife Leah, possibly because Leah was not so beautiful like Rachel. And, all along, Jacob had made it clear he wanted Rachel; but Laban tricked Jacob, by switching Leah for Rachel, in order so that in the tent Jacob became one flesh with Leah, before he married Rachel. 

So, Jacob was not pleased with that. And so he favored and sought Rachel. But what did the LORD do about that?? >

"When the LORD saw that Leah was unloved, He opened her womb; but Rachel was barren." (Genesis 29:31)

So, I see how our real God and Father expected Jacob to fully love Leah, even though she was not Jacob's choice and Laban had tricked Jacob into getting together with Leah . . . without Jacob knowing it was Leah! And it is possible that Leah was not an attractive woman. And, still, God expected Jacob to fully and dearly love Leah. 

But to me it seems how people do make love idols out of the ones they marry . . . though Jesus plainly says,

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" in Matthew 5:46.

And it is possible they can only love the ones they marry. But if God expected Jacob to fully love Leah . . . this can mean He expected Jacob to be fully able to love any woman, no matter what she looks like. In order to fully love Leah, he needed to be able to fully love any woman at all . . . no matter what are his preferences and how attractive a woman is.

Because if God's all-loving love had him loving Leah the real and right way, this love also would make him able to dearly and fully love any other person, as well.

And Leah was used by God to give her children. And "God is love" > in 1 John 4:8&16. In God who is love we can genuinely and fully love any person He shares with us . . . whomever God trusts us with in marriage. And I would say He is trusting us to love each and every person, ready for any person to be or become our own Jesus brother or sister very dear to us.

So, in case we are trying to dictate what has to be true about someone we marry, before we can love the person . . . whose love could we fall in? People fall in what is not strong to make them able to go through things; they fall in what makes them weak and insensitive so they can abuse each other with arguing which is not caring and kind communication. And so, they could have made an idol out of the one they married, then broke down in their effort to use their idol for what they want . . . valuing their preferences more than finding out how God has us love.

And so, if this is what they are preparing to do, while they seek to marry someone, then I would say their seeking of this sort can be an idol. And they can be making some person a love idol which has them so they are not ready to love each and every person the way God desires. 

Consider . . . and feed on . . . how Jesus is God's own Son, so superior, so better than all of us; yet, God's own Son is not at all conceited, but He loves every one of us and so suffered and died for any person, at all. So, Jesus is so un-conceited . . . the definition of humble by being so loving of any person.

And Jacob missed out on loving like Jesus, in how he related with Rachel. So, no I would not say Jacob and Rachel did well in their marriage, at least earlier on. However, I do understand that it was God's will for Jacob to seek to get married. So, it's how you do it, that matters, and if it's God's will. 

:) It's what you make it, how you take it, just don't y:)u fake it!

Remember 1 Corinthians 7:7 > our Apostle Paul here seems to be saying there is celibacy which is a "gift" of God and there is marriage which is God's "gift". Each gift of God can minister grace > 1 Peter 4:10.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

The 12 sons of Jacob came from four women - Rachel and Leah and their two maidservants…

David had perhaps 7 or 8 wives - it seems one was Michal’s sister.

I think it is difficult to compare our situations today with Jacob and David.

Edited by Episcopius
Correct