• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Who me said:

They also need to decide to stop and a large part of that is putting temptation out of reach and when temptation strikes to do something that distracts from the temptation.

I agree with that.Although I can say it i easier said than done. I have found eliminating the chance to sin makes it harder to sin.

A man once told me- Dont go to the rum shop for a coke. ie If you know the temptation for something is a place you go for mundane things, dont go there for the mundane things.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Who me said:

They also need to decide to stop and a large part of that is putting temptation out of reach and when temptation strikes to do something that distracts from the temptation.

It is an addiction. Easier said than done. 

Edited by missmuffet

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

Yes it is very easy to say, but unless one is willing to try it, one is not going to make a start in recovering from that addiction.

• 3 months later...

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

On 8/1/2022 at 7:01 PM, faithfull-prophet4040 said:

I started smoking cigarettes again I'm very disappointed In my self. i really just want to talk to good people like most of you are. I was listening to lion king music, and it really made me feel God. I know I'm just talking random, again I just want to talk.

Hi; prayer and the Scriptures need to absorb us, by God's grace, whether we smoke or not...........

On 8/1/2022 at 7:13 PM, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Try not to be too hard on yourself, you’re aware that it’s a nasty ,unhealthy habit, that’s the first step....I would pray to the Lord and ask him to help you with this addiction.

Ive had a few addictions, smoking was one of them, the only reason I gave up, because it  scared me, my aunty and I used to smoke together, she died of lung cancer, because of smoking, she was only 60 yrs of age.

I will keep you in my prayers.🙏

Hi @Rosie1jack2pauline3Great you were able to quit. Some ppl are addicted; others pursue what is known as occasional social smoking. Historically it used to be customary in some parts of North America - prior to the American Civil War - for women to smoke after a church service; then in the so called Progressive Era it became supposedly taboo for women to smoke. So it's great you managed to quit (but I don't buy the idea that it's somehow 'unladylike' to smoke).

PS: Some ppl find vaping as a step to quitting smoking cigarettes to be helpful. The quantity of nicotine in the vape can be gradually cut down.

• 1 month later...

On 8/1/2022 at 7:13 PM, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Ive had a few addictions, smoking was one of them...

@Rosie1jack2pauline3

Glad you managed to quit. I don't agree with ppl guilt-manipulating others, though..........

It would also be hard to call someone who does occasional social smoking an addict.

Some ppl even try to call getting tattooed an addiction.........whereas plenty of ppl get one or two and then that's it......Some ppl have it done as a coming of age thing; but then to call them being supposedly addicted to coming of age, wouldn't make sense, either.....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

Everyone in my family smoke. I was the only one who did not. Most of them unfortunately got smoke related disease. My mother died unable to breathe. So no matter how hard bite the bullet. It's worth the pain to stop.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,429
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

On 8/1/2022 at 4:01 PM, faithfull-prophet4040 said:

I started smoking cigarettes again I'm very disappointed In my self. i really just want to talk to good people like most of you are. I was listening to lion king music, and it really made me feel God. I know I'm just talking random, again I just want to talk.

I smoked a little back in the night (verses saying "back in the day"), but usually only when I drank.  But I certainly didn't like the feeling it gave me the next morning, so I never got hooked.  I was more hooked on pot than cigarettes or anything else, but the Lord was merciful and took the pleasure of pot smoking away in an instant - may He do that for you too!

Like anything else of the flesh that we have trouble with, what I know to do is this:  When the urge first comes along tell the Lord something like, "Here it is again Lord, and I'm pretty much powerless to stop it.  But I am willing to be made willing, so I give it to You right now and ask you take this urge away from me.  Thank you Jesus for loving me and dying for me and for putting Your life in me!"  Then maybe sing a simple song like, "Jesus loves me this I know . . ."

When I do that it's amazing . . . I often completely forget about the thing until some time later when I realize He did it - He took the urge from me in that moment!