• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,197
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

9 hours ago, Anne2 said:

I messed it up so bad I deleted the whole thing LOL.

I will leave this as it relates to what enoob said.

bolding some points

Acts 7:2  And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran,
3  And said unto him, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and come into the land which I shall shew thee.
4  Then came he out of the land of the Chaldaeans, and dwelt in Charran: and from thence, when his father was dead, he removed him into this land, wherein ye now dwell.
5  And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his seed after him, when as yet he had no child.
6  And God spake on this wise, That his seed should sojourn in a strange land; and that they should bring them into bondage, and entreat them evil four hundred years.
7  And the nation to whom they shall be in bondage will I judge, said God: and after that shall they come forth, and serve me in this place.

5  And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession

This is a possible fulfillment in the millennial state...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

Gen 12:9-15

9 And Abram journeyed, going on still toward the south.

10 And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.

11 And it came to pass, when he was come near to enter into Egypt, that he said unto Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know that thou art a fair woman to look upon:

12 Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.

13 Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee.

14 And it came to pass, that, when Abram was come into Egypt, the Egyptians beheld the woman that she was very fair.

15 The princes also of Pharaoh saw her, and commended her before Pharaoh: and the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house.
KJV
A unique position for Abram... knowing how every head turns when Sarai passes by. I wonder at the heart of God who bothers not to even look upon such:

1 Samuel 16:7 (KJV)

[7] But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

2 Corinthians 10:7 (KJV)

[7] Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.

Between a rock and a hard place... either live in starvation or give up the physical vowed sacred union. The fire, from God, that defines life can be the very extremes of testing... it would seem neither would have been wanted but looking to the hope of future the choice was made... His love exceeded the outward physical attraction

that it may be well with me for thy sake

1 John 2:15 (KJV)

[15] Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Certainly, in the knowledge of all this helps us to obey the above... as Pharoh wanting the beauty that knowingly would fade then having no further want~ would kill that which was committed past the beauty called love...

1 Corinthians 13:13 (NKJV)

[13] And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Perhaps it better explains Abram's forming heart in looking for a city not built with mans hands...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, enoob57 said:

This is a possible fulfillment in the millennial state...

I don't know, as I tend to amillennialism myself. But What I do believe at this point is two covenants made with Abraham. Gen 15 and Gen 17. 

Gen 15 the First is earthly, this world this life, natural seed.

But focusing on Genesis 15 for a moment, notice what is said to Abraham.

The WORD of the Lord (john's gospel)

1  After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
2 And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
3  And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
4  And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.

Two things.. (possibly 3) but for now focus on two....

1. Abraham will die

(Heb.Heb 11:13  These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

2. The promise concerns the 4th generation of his seed. Who is the seed here?

Worldly, natural, this world.......this life 

I believe the seed here is Jacob (who is later called Israel by his faith)

4th generation from Jacob is from Levi.

As Hebrews says Levi was yet in the loins of Abraham when Melchizedek met him, could be said Levi paid the tithe in Abraham.

Abe, Isaac, Jacob, and the generation of the patriarchs will be dead as well?

Ex 1:5  And all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob were seventy souls: for Joseph was in Egypt already.
Ex 1:6  And Joseph died, and all his brethren, and all that generation.

13  And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
14  And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
15  And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
16  But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

Joseph knew he would be dead.....
Ex 13:19  And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him: for he had straitly sworn the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you; and ye shall carry up my bones away hence with you.

Genesis 17 establishes the promises In Isaac. This covenant made later, is in operation first. Or as Hebrews puts it, is in force first.

God swore an oath when Abraham was tested, in offering up Isaac.

That oath made the promises Immutable... until that time could be added to or repented of. Once God swore the oath, No additions, nor subtractions to it.

Gen 22:16  And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17  That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18  And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
Heb 6:17  Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

Ga 3:15  Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man’s covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
Ga 3:17  And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

In Christ....The Annointed one.

The seed promised in Gen 17? Kings are anointed

Ge 17:6  And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.
Ge 17:16  And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.

Jacob.....Heir with Abraham of the same promise Heb
Ge 35:11  And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;
Heb 11:9  By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:

The blessing of the oath is established in Isaac

Is a repeat,( james says a fulfillment of)

Ge 12:2  And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
Ge 12:3  And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Two fold inheritance from Abraham, the firstborn having a double portion above his brethren.

Who is the Israel that is all Israel?

Ex 4:22  And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

Edited by Anne2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,420
  • Content Per Day:  12.18
  • Days Won:  31

41 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

1  After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

Hi @Anne2 I know there are different eschatological interpretations; but this verse you have quoted, above, is a really heartwarming one which preaches so well............

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Interesting. How powerful is God`s speech -`.... and there was....` 

@Marilyn C In French, for example, there is sometimes a distinction made between 'parole' and 'langue', with 'parole' particularly indicating the sense 'speech'.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

Gen 12:16-20

16 And he entreated Abram well for her sake: and he had sheep, and oxen, and he asses, and menservants, and maidservants, and she asses, and camels.

17 And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife.

18 And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What is this that thou hast done unto me? why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife?

19 Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.

20 And Pharaoh commanded his men concerning him: and they sent him away, and his wife, and all that he had.
KJV
Pharoh's intentions were plain to see by the gifts to 'the brother'... God does not tell us how Pharoh knew but it evidently was not important enough for God to tell us... God tells us of 'great plagues' were sent ... so a multiple god ruler would make inquiries but the reality there were only two who knew Abram & Sarai...

It is noteworthy to vs 18 adultery was evidently wrong among these people:
Abram stated if they wanted Sarai they would kill him to have her... and Pharoh's proclamation here... certainly supports God's claim of His laws written on the heart:
Romans 2:14 (KJV)

[14] For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

[15] Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/13/2024 at 9:50 AM, farouk said:

Hi @Anne2 I know there are different eschatological interpretations; but this verse you have quoted, above, is a really heartwarming one which preaches so well............

Thanks. Eschatology does not really matter that much to me when it comes to the two covenants. But grace and faith.

17 hours ago, Anne2 said:

grace and faith.

@Anne2 Reminds me of Ephesians 2.8: "By grace...through faith..."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:59 PM, Anne2 said:

@Anne2 I think your comment didn't actually take on the screen...