IGNORED

Has anyone read the new biography of Jesus?

jd1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Called Salt & Light; The Complete Jesus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

No, I don't. If I desire to know Jesus' biography, I will only peruse the Holy Scripture.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

The book is bad.

From kirkus reviews:

the book probes variations in Gospel narratives and early Christian writings as well as Jewish, Roman, and Muslim accounts of Jesus’ life. Like most academic surveys of the historical Jesus, the book concludes that “the figure of Jesus is shadowy and ill-defined” in the records. Ultimately, the volume argues, Jesus should not be considered a rabbi, as his teachings were “distinct from Judaism.” Moreover, despite the author’s personal belief in the veracity of Jesus’ miraculous deeds, Dean notes that the man was not divine, made “mistakes,” and often “created confusion by not definitively identifying himself.”While not systematically engaging with theology, the work similarly rejects the Christian doctrines of the Trinity, hell, and Jesus’ second coming in its embrace of the simplicity of his teachings to love all, share one’s light, and not to overly desire possessions

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

35 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

The book is bad.

From kirkus reviews:

the book probes variations in Gospel narratives and early Christian writings as well as Jewish, Roman, and Muslim accounts of Jesus’ life. Like most academic surveys of the historical Jesus, the book concludes that “the figure of Jesus is shadowy and ill-defined” in the records. Ultimately, the volume argues, Jesus should not be considered a rabbi, as his teachings were “distinct from Judaism.” Moreover, despite the author’s personal belief in the veracity of Jesus’ miraculous deeds, Dean notes that the man was not divine, made “mistakes,” and often “created confusion by not definitively identifying himself.”While not systematically engaging with theology, the work similarly rejects the Christian doctrines of the Trinity, hell, and Jesus’ second coming in its embrace of the simplicity of his teachings to love all, share one’s light, and not to overly desire possessions

Oh, my!!  This sounds terrible!

@jd1 - Flee from this book.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings jd1

Welcome to Worthy .I've not read the book & from the comments posted in response to the suggestion it doesn't seem like I'd be interested in it.

Have you read this book yourself? May I ask why you have started this Topic,is it because you want others opinions or what is it you want to discuss?I have to ask because the you've Titled the Topic with a question and your OP simply refers to " a book" which leaves me wondering .  

With love in Christ, Kwik

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

We have enough of a problem with what the disciples wrote about Jesus and is authorized in our Bible. Sometimes I think we would be better off just to read the sermon on the mount and the word that Jesus actually spoke. The Lords prayer, Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done is a lot all in itself. What is the Kingdom of God, what is the will of God for us. As well as the Golden Rule: How do we love God, how do we love our Neighbor, How do we love ourself? If we insist on departing from the Bible, then why don't we ask WWJD, What Would Jesus Do. How would Jesus teach, what would Jesus teach. How would Jesus humble Himself and what would Jesus say to people. Jesus was a carpenter and I can understand that. He either built furniture or carpenters build homes for people to live in. The second letter in the alphabet is a B and this represents our home, our dwelling, our place of business, but mostly this represents the tent we call the tabernacle. This shows how every aspect of our life needs to honor God and bring Him praise, honor and glory. We should do good and never harm people. The LOA people talk about positive energy compared to negative energy. What we invest positive or negative will return onto us. 

Edited by JohnR7