• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Sources and quotes?

There's so many I don't know where to begin, nor would I remember at all times.  I can assure you if you google Augustine and the sign gifts, you can find out for yourself.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, Dave-regenerated said:

There's so many I don't know where to begin, nor would I remember at all times.  I can assure you if you google Augustine and the sign gifts, you can find out for yourself.

You made the claim now back up it up?  

• Group:  Advanced Member

4 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

You made the claim now back up it up?  

I can certainly do your work for you if you want.  If you really want.  I suspect you are too lazy to do the reading and studying yourself, though.

Here's the first thing that came up when I googled it:- 

Augustine on the cessation of sign gifts | Immoderate (wordpress.com)

If that isn't enough, let me know.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  308
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,150
  • Content Per Day:  4.59
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings NotW

My advice is pretty much the same for anyone seeking Understanding &  Knowledge- seek the Lord God with all your heart,soul & mind and He Will Reveal Himself in His Written Word - in Relationship with our Heavenly Father in Christ Jesus we have the ULTIMATE Counselor- Holy Spirit!

Now,please understand ,personally I'm a big book nerd and a firm believer in due diligence in research & study---- after one is firmly planted & rooted in the Word of God.Everything you will ever need or hope to learn is right there in the Scriptures and only Revelation only comes God....

So study the Scriptures,pray,ask Knowledge & Understanding and learn to try every spirit.This will serve you well Brother,for all of your days

Do I believe some prophecy & others speak,pray & interpret tongues-yes I do but there are also many false prophets & deceiving spirit actually teaching jibberish----- if anything be confusing,disturbing,without order- I think it safe to say it's not of God ❤️

With love in Christ,Kwik

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

25 minutes ago, Dave-regenerated said:

I can certainly do your work for you if you want.  If you really want.  I suspect you are too lazy to do the reading and studying yourself, though.

Here's the first thing that came up when I googled it:- 

Augustine on the cessation of sign gifts | Immoderate (wordpress.com)

If that isn't enough, let me know.

When you make claims the burden of proof falls on you, its lazy when you make claims and not back it up, but thanks for finally providing a link.  Do you have others "Church Fathers" that make this claim, you mentioned several.

---------

Augustine lived late 3rd and 4th century.  He introduced a lot of catholic dogma into the church.  I would say he is well known as a catholic church father, but not an authoritative church father.  

He believed and taught about Purgatory, Praying for the Dead, Believed in the Authority of the Catholic church, Sacraments and Penances for Sin, Believed in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary,  Mary was sinless, etc....   

https://www.catholicfidelity.com/st-augustine-and-catholic-beliefs/

I would take anything he taught with a gain of salt filtered trough the truth of scriptures.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

3 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

When you make claims the burden of proof falls on you, its lazy when you make claims and not back it up, but thanks for finally providing a link.  Do you have others "Church Fathers" that make this claim, you mentioned several.

---------

Augustine lived late 3rd and 4th century.  He introduced a lot of catholic dogma into the church.  I would say he is well known as a catholic church father and not a authoritative church father.  

He believed and taught about Purgatory, Praying for the Dead, Believed in the Authority of the Catholic church, Sacraments and Penances for Sin, Believed in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary,  Mary was sinless, etc....

I would take anything he taught we a gain of salt filtered trough the truth of scriptures.

Augustine is considered to be an early church father.  Are you making the claim that he wasn't one?  Evidence please.  

Most of the early church fathers said many things that were wrong.  You won't find evidence to the contrary that the later church had tongues and prophecy as sign gifts until the year 1900.

I can back up everything I say with text citations, internet evidences, books and so on.  You were very quick to jump on me about claims requiring proof.

Now, I would appreciate it if you could give us all evidence for tongues and prophecy in the middle ages.  Cheers.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.14
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.78

10 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings NotW

My advice is pretty much the same for anyone seeking Understanding &  Knowledge- seek the Lord God with all your heart,soul & mind and He Will Reveal Himself in His Written Word - in Relationship with our Heavenly Father in Christ Jesus we have the ULTIMATE Counselor- Holy Spirit!

Now,please understand ,personally I'm a big book nerd and a firm believer in due diligence in research & study---- after one is firmly planted & rooted in the Word of God.Everything you will ever need or hope to learn is right there in the Scriptures and only Revelation only comes God....

So study the Scriptures,pray,ask Knowledge & Understanding and learn to try every spirit.This will serve you well Brother,for all of your days

Do I believe some prophecy & others speak,pray & interpret tongues-yes I do but there are also many false prophets & deceiving spirit actually teaching jibberish----- if anything be confusing,disturbing,without order- I think it safe to say it's not of God ❤️

With love in Christ,Kwik

Amazing post, thank you so much!

• Praise God! 1

11 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

---------

Augustine lived late 3rd and 4th century.  He introduced a lot of catholic dogma into the church.  I would say he is well known as a catholic church father, but not an authoritative church father.  

I would take anything he taught with a gain of salt filtered trough the truth of scriptures.

Here's some more for you - 

pneumatology - Did any early Church Fathers record the event of the ceasing of spiritual gifts? - Christianity Stack Exchange

We could go on and on but it would largely be a waste of time.  You asked for Church fathers on the decline of tongues and prophesy and I have already given enough evidence.  The burden of proof is not on me because there is no debate.

8 minutes ago, Dave-regenerated said:

Augustine is considered to be an early church father.  Are you making the claim that he wasn't one?  Evidence please.  

Most of the early church fathers said many things that were wrong.  You won't find evidence to the contrary that the later church had tongues and prophecy as sign gifts until the year 1900.

I can back up everything I say with text citations, internet evidences, books and so on.  You were very quick to jump on me about claims requiring proof.

Now, I would appreciate it if you could give us all evidence for tongues and prophecy in the middle ages.  Cheers.

Catholics hold him to be a church father, because of some of the catholic claims made?  Catholic bishops are well know for doctored/forged writings as well. 

Do you also agree with his stance on Purgatory, Praying for the Dead, Sinless Mary, Perpetual Virginity of Mary, if you do you will probably agree with his stance on cessation of gifts as well.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Catholics hold him to be a church father, because of some of the catholic claims makes?  Catholic bishops are well know for doctored/forged writings as well. 

Do you also agree with his stance on Purgatory, Praying for the Dead, Sinless Mary, Perpetual Virginity of Mary, if you do you will probably agree with his stance on cessation of gifts as well.

No I don't agree with Catholicism because I am not a Catholic.  But you could have just asked me that first in a nice friendly way.