• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, The Barbarian said:

Well, the refusal to let the process be observed pretty much ruined any chance of that being accepted.   Still, Crimea is ethnically different than Ukraine, and an open and free election would probably be acceptable to the world.  Otherwise, not.

Considering we had basically overthrown the Ukraine government, I think I can see why they would not want us there.     Considering our last election and the involvement in our intelligence and FBI, I don't think I really blame him for not letting us be involved.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Now I'm going waaay back to my days in college( err hm!) But as I recall NYC sits on one of the biggest faults in the USA, is that so ? So if that ever happened " Goodbye Manhattan"- perhaps

@The Barbarian

Might know the probability odds . 

I'm more familiar with the western North America. New York could very well be on top of a fault. That side of the country is generally tectonically stable as it sits on the eastboard side of the craton, the ancient continental crust. I found a USGS map of seismic risk for the US (below). New York looks to sit in a slightly higher risk zone. Without delving deeper, I'm not sure what the risk is from. There can be old deep-seated faults that occasionally let go due to past compression during the ice age, although New York is a just bit far south, if I recall correctly.

Western North America is way more active due to active subduction faults and transform faults (i.e. San Andreas), and the risk is noticeably higher. I liken the entire western side as "broken glass" due to the amount of faults. Not all are active, and may simply be large crustal fractures due to the past and ongoing tectonism.

2014hazmap-induced-lg.gif

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Barbarian said:

Give the Ukrainians three squadrons of them.    Putin's nightmare.

If Biden's trying to phase them out, I'd be willing to send them to the Ukraine.

• Thumbs Up 1