• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,629
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  2

22 minutes ago, other one said:

and my point is that if we understand the general cosmology of the time, we can better understand the context of what they are expressing.   The words and phrases change over time.   Knowledge is learned so if we are not careful by not understanding some of those used at the time, we can get confused or even wrong ideas of what they are saying.

I get that.

What I don't like about this stems from God's immortality and the timelessness of the message. I don't agree the message may carry misunderstanding for modern mankind if we fail to understand ancient epistemology, in the narrow case of biblically recorded divine utterance. 

The prophecies must hold true no matter when they are uttered and recorded. Prophecy in this case wasn't for the ones who recorded it but for the ones who would see the prophecy come to pass, centuries or millennia later. Understanding an ancient religious cosmology wouldn't help future man in this case.

Some ideas would require an understanding of religious cosmology of the time such as idioms like, "Where the carcass is the eagles will be gathered." et al.

Religious cosmology doesn't really bear on the facts, in my opinion. 

Mankind comes up with a variety of views and none really require factual premises.

IMO.