• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.50
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

35 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

in order to properly understand what is written in the context of which it was written... an example of context:
Lets say we passed out ten pieces of paper to 10 people and written on the paper is "come over here and set on my lap baby"
Because of our sexually charged society most would think a man to woman... but finding context of who's writing -a father and who is being spoken to - his baby daughter... as you can see context is everything! That's the process of hermeneutics to properly identify what is being said grammatically and then proper context who is saying what and to whom etc.

Perhaps a less sexually charged analogy to make a point is appropriate considering a general audience.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,322
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

17 minutes ago, Alive said:

Perhaps a less sexually charged analogy to make a point is appropriate considering a general audience.

I find this post ridiculous and far from anything of substance...

• Please stop fighting!  Thanks!  :) 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

45 minutes ago, enoob57 said:
1 hour ago, Alive said:

I find this post ridiculous and far from anything of substance...

Actually, the point was well proven when the conclusion was asumming the worst.
Context.
I also assumed the worst, showing where my mind could be 180 degrees wrong.
Not knowing the 'rest of the story'

I assume two moderators can come to terms....yes..:)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

21 hours ago, Sower said:

Actually, the point was well proven when the conclusion was asumming the worst.
Context.
I also assumed the worst, showing where my mind could be 180 degrees wrong.
Not knowing the 'rest of the story'

I assume two moderators can come to terms....yes..:)

The moderators are at each other? :24:

• Haha 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/14/2022 at 8:34 AM, JohnR7 said:

Sometimes I still use the name expotheo. Meaning expository theology. It would take a book to define every word in the Bible. The very first word: "Beginning" could not be explained even if you used every book in the world. It would take a dictionary for every word that talks about having the Mind of Christ. 

John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Sir, i hope you don't take this as poking, or finger pointing. Lol

Not in this post, but the one before you stated, "We usually only quote the most important part." this was in reference to scripture passages. 

Honestly, i dont think there is a most important part, unless intended for that days message.

I will read a passage, and a couple of verses will stand out. Then a week later read the same passage. And another verse will stand out more, and i will wonder why i had not noticed it

it is in the moment of reading God's Word, that He chooses for us what He knows is best.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, Starise said:

I think we need the verse level and the context to often get a correct interpretation of what was actually said, who said it, why they said it, who they were speaking to etc.

This is the difference between reading and study. Some of the bible we can simply read like a book and get a lot from it. In other portions we can't really safely do that and come away with the true meaning.

Most of the translations of English bibles which had original texts in Hebrew and Greek are fairly accurate, but there are sometimes exceptions to that rule as words used can be misunderstood.

You mentioned  common ground the 1st 4 gospels share. Yes this is true, however there are also differences. Just look at the accounts of the resurrection among the gospels. Then don't let it drive you crazy because there are explanations for those differences.

Knowing something about Jewish culture can be helpful at times, the days they value and why they value them and how this might in some way apply to other parts of the bible.

I learned a lot by questioning every sermon I hear. Most pastors probably would not want me in their church lol. I drive SS teachers crazy. If they aren't going to let me teach then I'm going to give them a run for thier money :) It's healthy to question everything. Different denominations focus on certain things they feel are important. Why is it so important to them and WHY did it cause them to split into yet another denomination? Why do denominations have their own schools? I think we know the answer to that one. Sometimes it's good , sometimes it isn't. 

They all have a comeback answer for everything they do. For instance, why do churches baptize infants? It is literally nowhere in any bible. The answer will be different depending on the denomination. In the church I attend now it's all wrapped up in covenants, and they see it as a dedication, or maybe that was just to get me off of their back.;) Then why call it "infant baptism" knuckleheads? :D

This is only one example and the more liberal the church is, the easier it will be to see them all "playing church".  These churches exist for others who only want to play church, or go through the motions and feel religious while going against many of the bible's teachings.

Expository preaching is great if they are explaining what they read, especially if it takes up in successive passages the next church service. Just cherry picking a verse though is pretty shallow if the pastor doesn't give any context. There are motivated pastors and lazy pastors who would rather keep it simple so as to avoid too many questions or concerns from the congregation. They want people who just come to church, pay their money and go home. 

Some of the best preaching i have heard came from video's my brother has of a paster, now with God, who used puppets and props to help teach the Gospels. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:25 AM, angels4u said:

I love the  story from Corrie Ten Boom,did you see "The Hiding place?"

Now you caught me. Lol. When i get home i will have to look at the book title, because i don't recall seeing it. Now that i'm embarrassed.  😳

On 11/14/2022 at 2:15 PM, Starise said:

Thanks for this clarification. I was aware of that but didn't convey it in totality here. 

And yes...it is complete nonsense. Anyone know where I can find a real decent church? I don't think there are any around here that are spirit filled. It's full of wonderful people following arcane teachings.

My brother stated to me, we should never look at the older churches as archaic, as they were led by people who followed the will of God to. We would not be where we are at now, if they had not followed God.

• Well Said! 1

On 11/14/2022 at 6:18 PM, Alive said:

If i may, i did not see it in the way you recieved it. But the point was well made. Your own reaction proved that.

God's peace be with you. 🌺

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

On 11/14/2022 at 7:25 AM, angels4u said:

I love the  story from Corrie Ten Boom,did you see "The Hiding place?"

I have read that plus a bunch of WW2 novels dealing with the Jews.