IGNORED

Who managed to quit smoking? or is trying to quit?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

21 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

It was after my son was born

@kwikphilly Let's hope he doesn't start smoking now, or, if he does, manages to quit.........

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

50 minutes ago, farouk said:

@kwikphilly Let's hope he doesn't start smoking now, or, if he does, manages to quit.........

Nope,never did... 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Nope,never did... 

Sounds good............ :)

On 4/20/2023 at 11:19 AM, Anne2 said:

Perhaps if I did not have this issue, I suppose I would be the worst of them.

Hi @Anne2 I do think maybe that if ppl did not focus on smoking as an issue in isolation, there would be less strife.

Like for example, if one thinks instead of a person who happens to smoke, then, yes, there are still consequences to excessive smoking but.....the focus is not on denigrating the individual.

(I think this is sensible.)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/23/2023 at 10:20 PM, kwikphilly said:

Blessings farouk

Cigarette smoking is a lust of the flesh,bondage like any other bondage.Anyone who has had any kind of addiction would attest to that....being Born Again Does not mean you do not still struggle with the flesh,there must be a Renewing of the mind- it's a process,can you relinquish your possessions,your wants,desires? No? Then they possess you .... The flesh is a funny thing BUT we are More than Conquerors in Christ Jesus

Now ,I've not read all these pages but no doubt there are plenty of Testimonies about the instant Deliverance of a spirit of addiction- poof,just like that! And yes indeed,I can confirm that,God is Able 

I didn't start smoking until well after high school,I was athletic,not interested or tempted-I have no idea how or when I became a real smoker but I did,from a cigarette here & there,maybe one a week to one a day & finally a 2 pack a day chimney

One day I prayed Deliverance & poof,God Removed the taste from my mouth,just that simple....then 3 yrs later my Dad died & the 1st thing I did was buy a pack of cigarettes,positive I'd quite after I returned home from the funeral(NY)- never happened. 

I prayed n prayed & one night I Heard the Lord tell me " No"...." I already Gave you that GIFT & you took it for granted,this time you will have to work for it & I will Help you....Hmm? Next day I had breakfast with a Sister & she said" I don't know how to tell you or if I should". She began by saying" I always pray you be Delivered of..   and I said" I know,I know,He Told you NO".  My friend was in shock because the Lord Told her not to pray that but to pray for my desire to quit & strength!!!!

It's been a struggle forever since,I'm still tempted till this day even though it's been years...   Anyway,don't ever think lightly of your Deliverances,remain Grateful, Amazed and know what a Precious Gift it is to be FREE in Christ,never take anything for granted❤️

With love in Christ, Kwik

Thank you! I’ve quit 3 times and started again under emotional duress. Trying to quit again, but not trying very hard. I keep telling myself I’ll quit next month or next week, but I’m lying to myself because if I truly WANTED to quit, I’d throw the cigarettes out right now. It’s just like any other kind of drug addiction. Unfortunately there aren’t 12-step recovery groups for smokers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, AlsoBroken said:

I’ve quit 3 times and started again under emotional duress.

Until you find a different way to deal with "emotional duress" you won't be able to quit and stay quit. (same goes for alcohol or any other addictive drugs and self destructive activities)

Next time you reach for a cigarette to deal with stressful life situations. ask yourself "How would a non smoker deal with this and why can't I do the same?".

Until you decide for yourself, in your own heart and not for some outside reason, that you want to become a non smoker because You want to be a non smoker, not just a smoker who isn't smoking now, you will never be successful.  It's your decision, you have to make it, no one else can do it for you.

Sincere prayer asking to know the truth about yourself helps, few of us actually know or want to know who and what we really are at the core of our being so we never manage to do anything about it.  It's the truth (about yourself) that will set you free (from yourself).

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

1 hour ago, AlsoBroken said:

Thank you! I’ve quit 3 times and started again under emotional duress. Trying to quit again, but not trying very hard. I keep telling myself I’ll quit next month or next week, but I’m lying to myself because if I truly WANTED to quit, I’d throw the cigarettes out right now. It’s just like any other kind of drug addiction. Unfortunately there aren’t 12-step recovery groups for smokers. 

Blessings! And prayers❤️

Well that's the bottom line,isn't it? You have to want to quit ,that was always my problem my friend - I didn't really ever want to quit,I like it!It doesn't matter what anyone tells you,anyone warns you and the suggestions are meaningless if you don't want to do it....

All I can say is keep at it,for every little bit you aren't inhaling that tar ,nicotine & Lord Knows what else they've laced them with you are breathing in more oxygen!Pray for the desire to be a non- smoker,Im praying with you 🙏

Btw,they have a program here in Florida,like a AA thing - everytime I heard from them I was reminded to have a smoke- it was so counter productive that it was ridiculous-- I did quite well with the patches but again,picked it back up after awhile.I could pick up a cigarette right now and I know I'd be right back in bondage- resist the devil & he will flee ( for a time!)

Don't beat yourself up friend- just keep praying &:don't give up,lol( on trying to give it up)

13 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Don't beat yourself up friend- just keep praying &:don't give up,lol( on trying to give it up)

@kwikphilly I do indeed agree about not beating oneself up....

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 12/19/2022 at 12:46 PM, farouk said:

@Willa FYI., this thread.......

Did you ever have this challenge, to quit?

While I was pregnant with our first child 3 doctors advised me to quit.  I had developed severe asthma and it was endangering the baby.  We quit together in July.  He was born in November, 3 weeks premature and came home when 4 lb. 13 oz.  His ability to suck was not fully developed and he was not able to tolerate formula but would vomit them forcefully.  It was a struggle to keep him alive and to feed him.  This all was largely due to smoking.

Quitting was very difficult but we did it together and cold turkey.  We vacationed in Canada that year.  Hubby decided to try to smoke a pipe while traveling.  He figured that since he could never keep one going it might help him get over the habit of smoking while driving,  so he stuffed all his pipe paraphernalia into my purse!!! Tobacco, filters, cleaners etc were all crammed in, making it impossible for me to find money without emptying it all out onto the counter.  Very embarrassing.  In addition we were extremely irritable  with nicotine fits.  It was a most memorable trip.  We camped in a tent which was not the easiest  since I was over 5 months along and beginning to feel awkward and uncomfortable as well as irritable.  Somehow we were able to quite without killing each other but it was about 4 weeks of hell.  Hubby had been a 3 pack a day man for 15 years and I had smoke 1 1/2 packs for 4 years.

2 hours ago, Willa said:

While I was pregnant with our first child 3 doctors advised me to quit.  I had developed severe asthma and it was endangering the baby.  We quit together in July.  He was born in November, 3 weeks premature and came home when 4 lb. 13 oz.  His ability to suck was not fully developed and he was not able to tolerate formula but would vomit them forcefully.  It was a struggle to keep him alive and to feed him.  This all was largely due to smoking.

Quitting was very difficult but we did it together and cold turkey.  We vacationed in Canada that year.  Hubby decided to try to smoke a pipe while traveling.  He figured that since he could never keep one going it might help him get over the habit of smoking while driving,  so he stuffed all his pipe paraphernalia into my purse!!! Tobacco, filters, cleaners etc were all crammed in, making it impossible for me to find money without emptying it all out onto the counter.  Very embarrassing.  In addition we were extremely irritable  with nicotine fits.  It was a most memorable trip.  We camped in a tent which was not the easiest  since I was over 5 months along and beginning to feel awkward and uncomfortable as well as irritable.  Somehow we were able to quite without killing each other but it was about 4 weeks of hell.  Hubby had been a 3 pack a day man for 15 years and I had smoke 1 1/2 packs for 4 years.

@Willa Thank-you for this account; must have been a great relief when you eventually managed to quit.....

• Thumbs Up 1