IGNORED

Is being "saved" the same as "inheriting God's kingdom"?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  1

I can only discern that there is a difference.  Can any of you help me understand?  Thank you.  

Ephesians 2:8-9

English Standard Version

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ESV 
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

1 minute ago, Not of the World said:

I can only discern that there is a difference.  Can any of you help me understand?  Thank you.  

English Standard Version

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

In the end both are about being justified by faith: the root word of 'justification' involves righteousness; not our own supposed righteousness but God's imputed by faith.

Cf. Robert Murray M'Cheyene: "When I stand before the Throne, Dressed in beauty not my own..."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  1

Well, a drunkard can have faith and be "saved" but, according to scripture, cannot "inherit the kingdom of God".  

Correct?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,403
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

This is just my take but I believe that there's a difference and a spiritual distinction made between those who are struggling and those who are wallowing. The Bible calls out certain sins at times and there are often contextual reasons for that, but ultimately any sin will separate us from God. James 2:10-11 (the next couple of verses are favorites of mine, but slightly off topic!) reminds us of that and says that breaking the law in any point makes you a lawbreaker. We're all shackled by our sin nature, but we're also works in progress (Philippians 1:6 speaks on that). God knows this, so those who truly believe and die while they're still struggling are just as surely covered as those who died while struggling with any other sin.

All that said it seems likely that our lifestyles and choices will affect us in Heaven. Heavenly rewards are a thing. Over and over again the Bible speaks of people being judged by their works. We know our salvation is from Jesus, not works, so it's obviously not referring to salvation. I don't doubt that a lot of people, myself included, might want to kick themselves for a while after they get to Heaven and wish they did more for God. This might not be the best of comparisons, but just imagine someone who barely made it in being appointed janitor and realizing they could have been a CEO instead.

• Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

10 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

This is just my take but I believe that there's a difference and a spiritual distinction made between those who are struggling and those who are wallowing. The Bible calls out certain sins at times and there are often contextual reasons for that, but ultimately any sin will separate us from God. James 2:10-11 (the next couple of verses are favorites of mine, but slightly off topic!) reminds us of that and says that breaking the law in any point makes you a lawbreaker. We're all shackled by our sin nature, but we're also works in progress (Philippians 1:6 speaks on that). God knows this, so those who truly believe and die while they're still struggling are just as surely covered as those who died while struggling with any other sin.

All that said it seems likely that our lifestyles and choices will affect us in Heaven. Heavenly rewards are a thing. Over and over again the Bible speaks of people being judged by their works. We know our salvation is from Jesus, not works, so it's obviously not referring to salvation. I don't doubt that a lot of people, myself included, might want to kick themselves for a while after they get to Heaven and wish they did more for God. This might not be the best of comparisons, but just imagine someone who barely made it in being appointed janitor and realizing they could have been a CEO instead.

Blessings OC

I'll be so thrilled to be a janitor sweeping the streets paved with gold!!! Cant imagine therell be much to sweep but in any event I'll be speechless & in AWE of JESUS!:D

Personally,I  really do not see much of a difference.....what I Believe is significant is that though the "drunkard" is Saved & will inherit the Kingdom of God it is truly as you say & likely he will receive less crowns,if any and the rewards will not be plentiful BUT the problem is he couldve had a life More Abundant and stored up treasures in Heaven....he did not "live Saved"

The one who Embraces all that Jesus Finished Work Affords us Renewed his mind to die to himself on earth and walk in Spirit & in Truth.....Only in Spirit do we bear Good Fruits that will add to earning those great & wonderful Rewards after we no longer are bound in a bag of flesh      I believe I'm thinking out loud,lol

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  11

On 11/30/2022 at 1:50 AM, Not of the World said:

English Standard Version

Greetings, Not of the World 

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

- John 3:4-5 (KJV)

• Praise God! 1

11 minutes ago, Selah7 said:

Greetings, Not of the World 

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

- John 3:4-5 (KJV)

Good verse there........... :)

11 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

we're also works in progress (Philippians 1:6 speaks on that)

Hi @AnOrangeCat I love that verse: "..He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,403
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

33 minutes ago, farouk said:

Hi @AnOrangeCat I love that verse: "..He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ".

It's one of my favorites too. Over the course of this year I've had a lot of brief encounters with people struggling with various addictions. It's really relevant to their situations.

Just now, AnOrangeCat said:

It's one of my favorites too. Over the course of this year I've had a lot of brief encounters with people struggling with various addictions. It's really relevant to their situations.

@AnOrangeCat The immediate context is the work of grace by the Spirit of God in all who are truly born again: they will indeed by God's grace persevere in Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1