1. 1. Are You a Military Veteran?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,305
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

I served in the U.S. Army during the Gulf War. I was a 31C, a tactical communications military occupational specialty. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,120
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

I want to thank all of you veterans here. Thanks @Dennis1209 for making it possible to identify them. Our present freedoms would not have been possible without you and the sacrifices of many others who didn't make it back to tell us who they were.

I have to wonder how veterans of a military in another country are viewed or how they view themselves if they were fighting for a corrupt regime, oh wait!:beehive:

Imagine Rome back in the day.........second thought this is some kind of a survey so I'll let this one go.:)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Content Per Day:  12.11
  • Days Won:  31

33 minutes ago, Starise said:

I want to thank all of you veterans here. Thanks @Dennis1209 for making it possible to identify them. Our present freedoms would not have been possible without you and the sacrifices of many others who didn't make it back to tell us who they were.

I have to wonder how veterans of a military in another country are viewed or how they view themselves if they were fighting for a corrupt regime, oh wait!:beehive:

Imagine Rome back in the day.........second thought this is some kind of a survey so I'll let this one go.:)

Hi @Starise Up here the Canadian military is rather a different set-up...........

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I thought I would wait a day or two to get an idea of how many veterans globally were here on Worthy. Thus far, it seems only six. The reason for the inquiry:

I was thinking about running it by George for a separate thread for veterans if there were enough veterans and adequate interest. I do not see any established topics that fit this category; correct me if I missed it.

My intent is not for self-glorification, heroism, gory details, or any thank you’s, it is mainly for the praise, honor, and glory of the Lord seeing us through perilous times. To share experiences that impacted our lives and changed us for the better or worse.

Our Bible talks plenty about Israel’s Armies and war. The Bible talks plenty about the “circumstances” we all face (military & civilian) and how to deal with them through trust, faith, and dependence on Jesus.

Share a war story or two, shying away from any graphic and unnecessary uglies of war. The following bullet points are only a few examples of potential discussions:

·         There is an old saying, “you will not find any atheists in a foxhole.” Oddly enough, I found I cannot dispute that proverb.

·         What the Gideons Bible Society did for many that I remember 50+ years later.

·         Was Vietnam and the Persian Gulf a just and righteous conflict (not a declared war)?

·         How America won every war in its history and lost every war (conflict) since WW II. Lost the war on drugs, lost the culture war, lost control of our nation, and so on.

·         The country, morals, values, and freedoms we were fighting for at the time. Would we do it again right now, risking life and limb for a decadent society and military turning politically correct?

·         Using our military as a global police force, not as our Constitution mandates.

·         Were we Christians, backsliders, or lost during our military service, acting in the way of the world in our camaraderie?

·         Boot camp and training experiences, your new mommies (Drill instructors).

·         Going from a young kid with immature thoughts to a hardened adult trained to kill in such a short span of time.

·         Hot topics, divisive and politically correct issues related to the military. Male psych with women on the battlefield getting slaughtered, sharing a foxhole. The one-hundred-pound woman trying to drag their 200-pound battle buddy wearing the full battle dress to safety on the battlefield. Female POWs, the Geneva Convention, and who observe the “rules.”

·         Those elite and government masters sending troops in harm’s way for political and financial goals and objectives. All the while not sacrificing anything of themselves and protecting their children from sacrifice also.

·         The draft vs. voluntary military service and what the entails.

·         Your own children and loved ones joining the military. Your worry in their service.

Would the above be of interest, appropriate and acceptable for a Christian forum? As with all the other topics here on Worthy, I can see some topics and discussions getting out of hand and arguments develop.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I can see a sub forum where a password is required and mainly to help guys with ptsd or other difficulties.

I have spent time with three such individuals, who were quite damaged.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,654
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The one upper right, that's a much younger version of me (1979).

266557501_SignalGang.jpg.53e8b535551cc376c15dfdb981f0d1bd.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi; I'm not a US citizen (Canadian actually) but I visited USAF Lakenheath years ago; and remember the SR71s stationed (either) there or Mildenhall...........

No I wasn't in the military. (Up here the politicians don't seem interested in paying for a significant military...)

I served in NATO with several Canadian ships and crews (1980 - 81) we were very tight comrades.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Sower said:

One of my good friends in Viet Nam was a Canadian, serving in my outfit. He was a bush pilot back home, and loved to fly.
I learned in Canada back then many got around flying small fights from lake to lake, and Canada has a lot of lakes.
He got me so interested I took flying lessons upon my return, and got my solo licenses in a Cessna 150.

Several Vietnam vets influenced me to consider serving in the military. I dropped out of High School in 10th Grade and went to a Vocational School

in carpentry. There several vets of every era to that point were going to school on the G.I. Bill. They showed me freedom isn't cost free, that we have to

be willing to give something back (even offering to pay the ultimate price for others). I wanted to see as much of the world as possible, and my uncle had been in the Navy

(my father was in the Army in the Philippines).

I've also encountered may Vietnam Vets in my 38+ years with the Postal Service (from tunnel rats to rice patty soldiers who slept back to back to keep their head above waist deep water during the rain season).

No Vietnam Vet went to war for the wrong reasons (even if the higher ups had nefarious motives). And the "babies" they alleged to have killed were booby trapped so the atrocity was on the part of the  people who rigged them as booby traps / walking mines.

When I see a Vietnam Vet anywhere I salute them and tell them they are owed a special debt of gratitude for the way they were mistreated in the 70's.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,120
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I thought I would wait a day or two to get an idea of how many veterans globally were here on Worthy. Thus far, it seems only six. The reason for the inquiry:

I was thinking about running it by George for a separate thread for veterans if there were enough veterans and adequate interest. I do not see any established topics that fit this category; correct me if I missed it.

My intent is not for self-glorification, heroism, gory details, or any thank you’s, it is mainly for the praise, honor, and glory of the Lord seeing us through perilous times. To share experiences that impacted our lives and changed us for the better or worse.

Our Bible talks plenty about Israel’s Armies and war. The Bible talks plenty about the “circumstances” we all face (military & civilian) and how to deal with them through trust, faith, and dependence on Jesus.

Share a war story or two, shying away from any graphic and unnecessary uglies of war. The following bullet points are only a few examples of potential discussions:

·         There is an old saying, “you will not find any atheists in a foxhole.” Oddly enough, I found I cannot dispute that proverb.

·         What the Gideons Bible Society did for many that I remember 50+ years later.

·         Was Vietnam and the Persian Gulf a just and righteous conflict (not a declared war)?

·         How America won every war in its history and lost every war (conflict) since WW II. Lost the war on drugs, lost the culture war, lost control of our nation, and so on.

·         The country, morals, values, and freedoms we were fighting for at the time. Would we do it again right now, risking life and limb for a decadent society and military turning politically correct?

·         Using our military as a global police force, not as our Constitution mandates.

·         Were we Christians, backsliders, or lost during our military service, acting in the way of the world in our camaraderie?

·         Boot camp and training experiences, your new mommies (Drill instructors).

·         Going from a young kid with immature thoughts to a hardened adult trained to kill in such a short span of time.

·         Hot topics, divisive and politically correct issues related to the military. Male psych with women on the battlefield getting slaughtered, sharing a foxhole. The one-hundred-pound woman trying to drag their 200-pound battle buddy wearing the full battle dress to safety on the battlefield. Female POWs, the Geneva Convention, and who observe the “rules.”

·         Those elite and government masters sending troops in harm’s way for political and financial goals and objectives. All the while not sacrificing anything of themselves and protecting their children from sacrifice also.

·         The draft vs. voluntary military service and what the entails.

·         Your own children and loved ones joining the military. Your worry in their service.

Would the above be of interest, appropriate and acceptable for a Christian forum? As with all the other topics here on Worthy, I can see some topics and discussions getting out of hand and arguments develop.

I understand you guys have your own group with probably isolated sets of experiences. As an outsider I feel I don't have much to contribute in that regard. My dad and grandfather were both in wars as was my wife's dad. Some will talk of their experiences while others choose not to talk about it rather preferring to get on with living and leave that very dark place behind.

I could see some of this in the "Everything Else" section, and since this is general discussion, I think you guys have experiences we could all use here.

I like inclusive things and not things that further divide us. Maybe a view from someone in South Africa or Canada, or any number of other places has relevance to all of us. In the past these kinds of discussions often go more towards America which must frustrate those who want a neutral discussion, so  I doubt everyone wants to hear war stories traded about US battles. OTOH, many of the ideas behind war and why people fight are valuable lessons and thoughts I think we can all stand to hear.

Organized units develop comradere as a glue that helps to hold any unit together. That these feelings would linger on is probably no surprise. Comradere and intention built upon a lie is a dangerous thing. The same things built on truth are glorious things. At the base of it, people need to be free to function properly. Totalitarianism never works. God uses the bad as He did with Babylon and Egypt in times past.

If I were in such a group as honored soldiers, I think I would treasure the effect my small contribution had on the direction of a country for years to come. In that you can all stand very proud, and maybe contemplate these new wars the new new developing world system. I think the last Hitler is coming faster than we think. This time the landscape looks very different. When leaders of free nations all sign on we are not headed in a good direction IMHO.

The last war will be very different and thankfully we won't need to destroy the enemy, the Lord will. Much of the devil's kingdom will destroy itself from the inside out.

22 minutes ago, Alive said:

I can see a sub forum where a password is required and mainly to help guys with ptsd or other difficulties.

I have spent time with three such individuals, who were quite damaged.

Even though I was blessed not to have served in direct conflict (I was in the Persian Gulf 1979-80) during the first phase of the Iranian hostage crisis). We went to General Quarters / Battle Stations as an Iranian F 4 Phantom (that America sold to the Shah) buzzed us.  Which is nothing compared to those who have lost life, limb, and mental stability for the freedoms we so take for granted here in the States. I have some idea of the suffering and doing without of all miltary people everywhere every day. I've known Vets who were not debriefed / deprogrammed who are "still there" in the war zone in their minds.

They need our prayers.

Tunnel to Towers is the best charity I have ever experienced with Vets and first responders who IMHO are woefully unappreciated in America. The Romans treated their soldiers better. Sadly.

I refer to Vets who actually fought in combat or lost limbs etc. They need our help and our financial support long before we dole them out to foreign people IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 3