Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,374
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Just checked eagle cam again.   She has her eyes closed but her head is still up.   Her feathers are getting snow covered.  Poor thing!

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, farouk said:

I think this is why folk like Joe Kennedy Sr, and Goldwyn and others in the 20s liked area so much because Hollywood film producing would not be disrupted by adverse weather.....................

True, and also some of the scenery can pass for Old West scenery.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,608
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

4 minutes ago, Debp said:

True, and also some of the scenery can pass for Old West scenery.

Yes, the West has an atmosphere all of its own.

I grew up on the western side of the hemisphere and was familiar with the Pacific long before becoming actively aware of the Atlantic side.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,047
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  237
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I was watching yesterday when both parents were there ... they had been very agitated for a while the nest sitter crying out for the other. They did bring food to the nest but took a couple of mouthfuls and then just left it there  Dont think mum likes the frozen dinner from the day before ..a bird that they spent a lot of time defeathering  but didnt eat much ..would have thought they would use the feathers to help keep the nest warm but they threw them over the side of the nest :noidea:

I wonder why they build it in the open since they tend to land on a branch and hop in ... over here the birds tend to build nests in the middle of branches so they have at least some shelter :noidea:  Dont think I am going to get to see any baby eagles this year  :emot-fail: Hope they are fit and young enough to have a more successful breeding season next year 

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, ladypeartree said:

I was watching yesterday when both parents were there ... they had been very agitated for a while the nest sitter crying out for the other. They did bring food to the nest but took a couple of mouthfuls and then just left it there  Dont think mum likes the frozen dinner from the day before ..a bird that they spent a lot of time defeathering  but didnt eat much ..would have thought they would use the feathers to help keep the nest warm but they threw them over the side of the nest :noidea:

I wonder why they build it in the open since they tend to land on a branch and hop in ... over here the birds tend to build nests in the middle of branches so they have at least some shelter :noidea:  Dont think I am going to get to see any baby eagles this year  :emot-fail: Hope they are fit and young enough to have a more successful breeding season next year 

Interesting how you saw some different activity from the mom and dad!   Last year I recall they brought in a fish which they accidentally knocked over the side of the nest!

I'm not sure if we'll see any young either because of this unusual stormy weather.   Last year only one egg hatched.

By the time I log in it is morning here and night there so when I come back in the late afternoon / evening I can  see what they have been up to during the day  Rewinding shows better footage is I do so in my afternoon 

At the moment it is 11am here and she is sleeping and covered in loads of snow and rewinding gets it to late afternoon early evening there 

Edited by ladypeartree
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am wishing I hadnt started to watch this ... poor mum was calling for her mate as she was buried alive in the snow but wouldnt give up and abandon the nest :emot-fail:

• Loved it! 1

Most action is between 11.40 and 12 ,20 on 25th feb .. I cant believe any bird could live through that  it is more than most human parents would be able to endure   :th_praying: they survive even if the eggs dont hatch 

• Loved it! 1

7 hours ago, ladypeartree said:

Most action is between 11.40 and 12 ,20 on 25th feb .. I cant believe any bird could live through that  it is more than most human parents would be able to endure   :th_praying: they survive even if the eggs dont hatch 

Today at about 15:34 (3:34 pm) mom took off from the nest.  Then a minute or so later, maybe it was the dad Eagle...it flew back on to the nest.

I heard a nursery owner claim that the snow would insulate his plants.   I hope the same goes for the Eagles.   Maybe their feathers provide some insulation.   Anyhow they sure are dedicated!

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,608
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

49 minutes ago, Debp said:

Today at about 15:34 (3:34 pm) mom took off from the nest.  Then a minute or so later, maybe it was the dad Eagle...it flew back on to the nest.

I heard a nursery owner claim that the snow would insulate his plants.   I hope the same goes for the Eagles.   Maybe their feathers provide some insulation.   Anyhow they sure are dedicated!

Well. @Debp remember the Inuit igloos.......

• Thumbs Up 1