Ani Tefillah

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.41
  • Content Count:  2,099
  • Content Per Day:  2.53
  • Days Won:  5

I serve The Prince of Peace, and I can't figure out why some think they can have the Bible in one hand, and a weapon in the other...is The Lord really their Sar Shalom/Prince of Peace?

This is probably a "hot potato" topic, but I honestly wonder. 😊

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,024
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

52 minutes ago, PrayerWife said:

I serve The Prince of Peace, and I can't figure out why some think they can have the Bible in one hand, and a weapon in the other...is The Lord really their Sar Shalom/Prince of Peace?

You have read the Old Testament I take it. 

• Interesting! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

59 minutes ago, PrayerWife said:

If I am to die for believing in Jesus Ill die rather than change my belief. Other than that no one has the right to kill me. Even in the OT they had weapons to protect themselves. So we do today.

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

1 hour ago, PrayerWife said:

Define weapon? Because anything can be a weapon. I mean I have an old kjv family Bible that is large enough, and heavy enough that you could actually seriously injure or even kill someone with it. I mean, one could literally be a Bible thumper with it!

Literally anything can be a weapon.

Or do you mean something that was designed to be used as a weapon? Such as a sword or a gun?

Can you show me anywhere in the Bible that says we can't have a weapon? Because I can show you where it says we can!

Biblically having a weapon is neither required, nor prohibited. Nowhere does it ban them, but neither does it say you have to have them.

It does outline where they can, and cannot be used and why.

I have 3 gun cabinets full of guns. None of them have ever been used in anger, at least not by me. I specify that because one cabinet is full of historic firearms, most of which came from different factions in World War 2, and there is a real possibility some if not all, actually saw combat. 

But, these weapons rarely get used by me. I do take them out from time to time and shoot them, when ammo is available, but for the most part they are just decorative pieces I keep due to my love of world war 2 history.

My modern firearms get fired more, dependent on what I use them for...but none of them have ever been used to hurt anyone.

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.89
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

1 hour ago, PrayerWife said:

I like hot potatoes. No chive.

2 Corinthians 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal

but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds.

Spiritual weapons are the focus of the NT, that being said, Paul also teaches

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.

All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. 

What this means, in accordance with the law of liberty, is that no Christian can

condemn another for having a gun. He is answerable to God alone. On the other hand,

if his or her child is killed because of the lack of gun safety, don't cry out at God,

"Why didn't you protect my baby girl?" Why didn't you. You are responsible for 

your free will choices, and have to live with the possible consequences, because

not all things edify. There is a balance to not being under the power of any.

Finally, you really cannot use OT types to justify actions, such as the one that

the OP is clearly alluding to:

Nehemiah 4:17 Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens,

loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction,

and with the other held a weapon.

Nehemiah was leading the congregation in re-building the wall of Jerusalem.

Nehemiah means "The comfort(er) of the Lord" and represents the work of

the Holy Spirit in our lives. Our concern should be with guarding our hearts

by serving the congregation in the power of the Holy Spirit by the apostolic

exhortation to build up others (construction), while opposing the work of the enemy, (weapons)

such as implied by 2 Co 10:4 cited above, as well as the full armor of God in Eph 6.

Circumstances define a persons decisions. The_Patriot may live in an area where there

are predatory animals, not to mention men put food on the table with their rifles.

You would just as soon try to take the cubs from a bear, than take his guns.

• Well Said! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

27 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

I like hot potatoes. No chive.

2 Corinthians 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal

but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds.

Spiritual weapons are the focus of the NT, that being said, Paul also teaches

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.

All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. 

What this means, in accordance with the law of liberty, is that no Christian can

condemn another for having a gun. He is answerable to God alone. On the other hand,

if his or her child is killed because of the lack of gun safety, don't cry out at God,

"Why didn't you protect my baby girl?" Why didn't you. You are responsible for 

your free will choices, and have to live with the possible consequences, because

not all things edify. There is a balance to not being under the power of any.

Finally, you really cannot use OT types to justify actions, such as the one that

the OP is clearly alluding to:

Nehemiah 4:17 Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens,

loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction,

and with the other held a weapon.

Nehemiah was leading the congregation in re-building the wall of Jerusalem.

Nehemiah means "The comfort(er) of the Lord" and represents the work of

the Holy Spirit in our lives. Our concern should be with guarding our hearts

by serving the congregation in the power of the Holy Spirit by the apostolic

exhortation to build up others (construction), while opposing the work of the enemy, (weapons)

such as implied by 2 Co 10:4 cited above, as well as the full armor of God in Eph 6.

Circumstances define a persons decisions. The_Patriot may live in an area where there

are predatory animals, not to mention men put food on the table with their rifles.

You would just as soon try to take the cubs from a bear, than take his guns.

Very well put, but for the sake of discussion I would like to bring forth a point or two.

Actually, the case of Nehemiah could be a good example. God always goes for the heart behind the action, every thing has its place. In Nehemiahs case, the weapons were needed to protect themselves while building the wall. They didn't just have them because they wanted to kill bad guys.

Same as Joshua when he retook the promised land. Or king David, or Samson, or any of the other men of violence that God raised up to lead His people.

The apostle Paul spoke of grace yes, but he also spoke of the law. While we are no longer under the law, it is still useful as the law defines what is sin, and what is not, sin. 

The law does allow for the use of weapons, even against other human beings in times of war or even in self protection. 

Now if one feels like they shouldn't have a weapon that God tells them not to, then they shouldn't. We all know there were many people in the Bible, both old and NT that never used a weapon. To my knowledge Elijah never carried a sword, and look at what he did! The same with Daniel, and Shadrach Meshach and Abednego. There are many people in the Bible who as far as we know, never resorted to violence.

There are also many that did, and with God's blessing. Whether to own a weapon, and what you decide to use it for is something that is between one and God, and it's not a choice that one should take lightly.

Yes, over half my collection is nothing more then pretty much decoration and talking points, I like world war 2 history. The guns are just collectors pieces.

But I also own a variety of modern long guns that I use for hunting different animals, all the way from prairie dogs and coyotes all the way up to elk.

But, I also have handguns, some are collectors pieces but I have 2 that I keep for self defense, a 1911 that I use as a side arm in the woods in case I come up on a mountain lion or bear, and a sig that I use in town against any two legged threats. 

All of them are treated with respect, kept Locked and secured when in use and I practice with them as much as I can. 

And I work very hard to never be in a situation where I have to use a gun on another person. The best self defense is not to end up in conflict in the first place. If I know there's a part of town where people are likely to mug me, then I don't go there unless I hundred percent have to.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.41
  • Content Count:  2,099
  • Content Per Day:  2.53

8 hours ago, Michael37 said:

You have read the Old Testament I take it. 

I've "eaten" the sum of the Holy Word several times, how come? 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,024
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 minute ago, PrayerWife said:

I've "eaten" the sum of the Holy Word several times, how come? 

The battle is the Lord's. David v Goliath for example.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  252
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Birthday:  06/11/1957

8 hours ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Define weapon? Because anything can be a weapon. I mean I have an old kjv family Bible that is large enough, and heavy enough that you could actually seriously injure or even kill someone with it. I mean, one could literally be a Bible thumper with it!

Literally anything can be a weapon.

Or do you mean something that was designed to be used as a weapon? Such as a sword or a gun?

Can you show me anywhere in the Bible that says we can't have a weapon? Because I can show you where it says we can!

Biblically having a weapon is neither required, nor prohibited. Nowhere does it ban them, but neither does it say you have to have them.

It does outline where they can, and cannot be used and why.

I have 3 gun cabinets full of guns. None of them have ever been used in anger, at least not by me. I specify that because one cabinet is full of historic firearms, most of which came from different factions in World War 2, and there is a real possibility some if not all, actually saw combat. 

But, these weapons rarely get used by me. I do take them out from time to time and shoot them, when ammo is available, but for the most part they are just decorative pieces I keep due to my love of world war 2 history.

My modern firearms get fired more, dependent on what I use them for...but none of them have ever been used to hurt anyone.

Love it.

The weapons of OUR warfare are not carnal but spiritual.

The word is a sword......We are to be fully armoured. Read it!

Even Peter B4 Christ betrayal & death was carrying a sword.....he cut off the temple guards ear.... remember.

I believe in self defense protection and have from pepper spray....taser....ect.

This doesn't mean I'm a person of violence, criminal nor a killer !

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  10,328
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

22 hours ago, PrayerWife said:

I've never understood that myself. We are given a new commandment by the Lord, to love one another as He loves us, and gave Himself for our sake. As we receive from the Lord, we are to give to our neighbor. 

Never return evil for evil, but good for evil. 
Love your enemies and bless them, even those who persecute you.
Bless and do not curse.  

I've faced evil men with nothing in my hands, knowing that nothing befalls me that isn't the will of the Lord who gave me His life. The Lord gives and He takes, and I trust Him though He slay me. :) 

Militancy is not the way of Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1